SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Steering wheel controls?

Over the weekend while driving our other two rides, my 2004 Chevy Blazer and the wife's 2010 Hyundai Elantra, I realized how much I miss the radio controls on the steering wheel when I drive my SL2 lol. I've got the 3D modeling and printing bug right now, so I got to thinking...

Were radio controls on the steering wheels an option for any Saturns around the late 90'a to early 2000's era? Even if the steering wheel on let's say an L model wont just fit on my SL2, I'm wondering if the clock spring behind it in the column would transfer over to give me the electrical pass-through for the controls. Then I could simply model a button assembly to go on the left side of the steering wheel and sort of mimic the shape and design of the cruise controls on the right side, and have it mount somehow to the wheel.

Obviously if radio controls were ever offered on a 2nd gen SL2, that would be the easiest option lol, but I don't think it was ever offered.

Short of finding a Saturn with the controls if one does not exist, possibly some other random GM cars around the same era? I know 2000's Camaro steering wheel looks almost just like the SL2's wheel, doesn't mean the clock spring and airbag plugs are the same, but it may be something worth exploring.

I have an aftermarket radio that has inputs for controls, so I don't have to worry about integrating it into the factory Saturn radio functions. Heck that's the easy part lol, it's getting the controls wiring through the wheel and into the column that I'm concerned with...

Thoughts?

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

Last edited by 98_Gold_Uranus; 09-09-2019 at 10:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Steering wheel controls?

Saturn's never got steering wheel controls, the rebadged Chevy's and Opel's might have but those will likely have major wiring difference's to deal with even if the parts swap over reasonably well.

Good project for a lenient P&P yard, or maybe if you find someone selling their car for scrap they'd let you tear it apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 AM   #3
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Last year I was thinking the same thing, I will tell you that the issue is running wires through the clock spring. I looked into Bluetooth devices or aftermarket steering wheel controls, however, they all seem to be hit or miss.

I had scanned the cruise control module from a 2nd gen and flipped the scan so that you could have similar controls but on the opposite end of the steering wheel. I have also looked into replacing one of the two horn buttons with volume/seek but haven't had luck in finding a small enough board that's already been made to fit inside the steering wheel without cutting it up.

Running power from the built-in steering wheel wires may be possible, but I have looked into making the battery from these generic controls replaceable with a clip (like a watch battery replacement).

The main reason I have not gone further with the project is that I have yet to find a unit online that looks reliable enough to throw into my car nor have I had the time.

Another option would be to add a 3rd generation steering wheel to a 2nd generation to keep the 2nd generation cruise control but modify the 3rd generation cruise control for radio control. Though, you would run into many issues.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
I have also looked into replacing one of the two horn buttons with volume/seek but haven't had luck in finding a small enough board that's already been made to fit inside the steering wheel without cutting it up.
This reminded me . . . my minivan has volume controls located on the back of the steering wheel (on the other side, it has cruise up/down controls on the back of the wheel). It works pretty well because it is a 3-spoke wheel design, and with hands at around 3 and 6, easy for fingers to reach back and tap. maybe one of the boards could be used but might be awkward on the back of a Saturn 2-spoke wheel.

There's also this, if your unit has Bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/COROTC-Steeri...47388928&psc=1

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
There's also this, if your unit has Bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/COROTC-Steeri...47388928&psc=1
Yeah I thought about those, but I didn't want the strap to be there on the wheel, it would just bother me lol. And you'd have to worry about the battery in it as well...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
Yeah I thought about those, but I didn't want the strap to be there on the wheel, it would just bother me lol. And you'd have to worry about the battery in it as well...
Yeah, that is the biggest issue for me. I planned on buying one of these and ripping the board out and placing it on the opposite side of the cruise control with a 3D printed housing. However, you still have the issue of the battery and it being wireless which doesn't always work 100% of the time.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Yeah, that is the biggest issue for me. I planned on buying one of these and ripping the board out and placing it on the opposite side of the cruise control with a 3D printed housing. However, you still have the issue of the battery and it being wireless which doesn't always work 100% of the time.
Absolutely true. I guess depending on the voltage (probably just one of those little 3v button batteries like in a key-fob), you could probably wire in a step-down regulator somewhere in the dash to run the 3 volts to it instead of having to rely on a battery, but there's still the issue then of getting the power through the clock spring, so at that point you're back to the original issue lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
Absolutely true. I guess depending on the voltage (probably just one of those little 3v button batteries like in a key-fob), you could probably wire in a step-down regulator somewhere in the dash to run the 3 volts to it instead of having to rely on a battery, but there's still the issue then of getting the power through the clock spring, so at that point you're back to the original issue lol.
I don't know off of the top of my head, but doesn't the cruise control have accessory power? Those small watch batteries don't exactly provide a ton of amperage.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
I don't know off of the top of my head, but doesn't the cruise control have accessory power? Those small watch batteries don't exactly provide a ton of amperage.
I believe it does, power and ground, otherwise the little light at the top of the switch wouldn't illuminate when you turn the cruise control on. Good thinking sir

REWARD EXCELLENCE!