SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
neurotopia
neurotopia is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Engine/trans mounts

When I start the L300, the engine visibly shakes more than it should (with an almost loose/floppy looking shake to it). When shifting to R and D it moves more than I would like, but it's not terrible yet.

Any ideas which mounts go first on these things?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neurotopia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neurotopia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Engine/trans mounts

Did you watch the engine when someone started the engine, shifted in D and R to determine which mounts are worn, broken? Are you sure engine mounts are causing this when it may be a damaged engine cradle? I have no experience in this, just thinking out loud. Other members may have a better idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
neurotopia
neurotopia is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Did you watch the engine when someone started the engine, shifted in D and R to determine which mounts are worn, broken? Are you sure engine mounts are causing this when it may be a damaged engine cradle? I have no experience in this, just thinking out loud. Other members may have a better idea.
I popped the hood and could get a pretty good view of it. I can get somebody else to assist and I'll try to clarify.

The cradle looks fine, actually. It has some rust spots on it but they've not eaten away very much except the powder coat in a few locations. I plan on addressing that before winter comes.

Speaking of which, if I wire wheel those spots down and hit them with the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and topcoat it with Rustoleum, will that hold for a while? I'd rather not spring for more expensive POR15 type stuff given the other minor repairs that are piling up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neurotopia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neurotopia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have rust everywhere (NYC salted roads). I wire brush to knock off surface rust, chisel built up corrosion then paint with undercoating from a spray can. It helps. The trick is keeping after corrosion as it pops up and treating it before winter in the rust belt states. Below is a file describing the right engine mount examination. Images are after securing the engine with GMs support cradle above the engine then removing the engine mount.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (40.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gif TifToGif (1).gif (15.0 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (90.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 09-10-2019 at 08:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If it is a trans mount replace both front and rear. My front was broke so i replaced it, six months later it broke again because the rear was bad and i could not see it was bad. Also do not go cheap on mounts.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote