SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Steering wheel controls?

Over the weekend while driving our other two rides, my 2004 Chevy Blazer and the wife's 2010 Hyundai Elantra, I realized how much I miss the radio controls on the steering wheel when I drive my SL2 lol. I've got the 3D modeling and printing bug right now, so I got to thinking...

Were radio controls on the steering wheels an option for any Saturns around the late 90'a to early 2000's era? Even if the steering wheel on let's say an L model wont just fit on my SL2, I'm wondering if the clock spring behind it in the column would transfer over to give me the electrical pass-through for the controls. Then I could simply model a button assembly to go on the left side of the steering wheel and sort of mimic the shape and design of the cruise controls on the right side, and have it mount somehow to the wheel.

Obviously if radio controls were ever offered on a 2nd gen SL2, that would be the easiest option lol, but I don't think it was ever offered.

Short of finding a Saturn with the controls if one does not exist, possibly some other random GM cars around the same era? I know 2000's Camaro steering wheel looks almost just like the SL2's wheel, doesn't mean the clock spring and airbag plugs are the same, but it may be something worth exploring.

I have an aftermarket radio that has inputs for controls, so I don't have to worry about integrating it into the factory Saturn radio functions. Heck that's the easy part lol, it's getting the controls wiring through the wheel and into the column that I'm concerned with...

Thoughts?

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

Last edited by 98_Gold_Uranus; 09-09-2019 at 10:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links