SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #21
DUNN
DUNN is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Front Struts and hardware availability issues

I in like way had some rust and standing water in the most raised reason for my swaggers in California. You figure fixing the tops would keep this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DUNN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DUNN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #22
wisconsinfan
wisconsinfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNN View Post
I in like way had some rust and standing water in the most raised reason for my swaggers in California. You figure fixing the tops would keep this?
Just wanted to say that I replaced my busted strut mount, also did the strut too. Unfortunately I couldnít replace the passenger side because I couldnít get the strut bolt off. I think Iíll have to torch the shaft to get the coil off of that.

One other issue I encountered was the bottom coil had rusted off completely and was just sitting on the strut tray. Doesnít seem to have effected much. Probably ride a little lower but shrug. Have the car back on the road and fighting another day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wisconsinfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wisconsinfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wisconsinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #23
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Why don't you have your local shop hit the bolt with powerful air tool?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:42 AM   #24
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinfan View Post
So can someone tell me if the Sachs strut on rockauto is an oem for the XR astra 3dr? My mount rusted out completely and I'd like to just change the struts along with the mount. Are there any other parts that I'd need besides these two? Thanks
Sorry to comment so late to your question.

My personal guess is that the Sachs struts lend more toward the XE, but possibly better constructed than the OEMs.

I personally had very good luck with Sachs components for a 2004 Volvo S60 AWD that I had quite a bit of work done on around 170,000 miles. A bit similar to what I'm doing here: New control arms, shocks, mounts, rubber ducky parts and bolts (kept all four springs). I was pestering my mechanic about what brands he was going to use for the parts and he finally told me he'd take $200 off the $2300 estimate if I'd shut up and please let him use Sachs parts for most of it. I shut up and gave it a rest. A year later, we had to replace the prop shaft. That too was a Sachs component.

Since then, I know a doctor I work with who races Audi's some weekends and he liked Sachs for his wife's A7. He is even more particular and of course has more resources than me. Our S60 felt better than new and was fine until an ignoble death at 270K by electrical gremlins, the same gremlins that eventually take all Volvos to Valhalla.

I have not chimed in about my own car project because my budget is $400/month until it is done. Because I spent more than the first two months right off, I will be installing things in early July. Had a bit of "project creep" happen as I added components, which will be pretty much everything after I finish.

Best luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #25
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Alldata Conundrum

Helo Astra fans,

I am getting ready to do my long delayed strut, spring, and shock installation. I have a couple questions regarding tools. In the following video, the tech reassembles the strut and springs with a 21mm ratchet in an air tool while held in the retention device. He does not use a torx tool to hold the inner portion so that it might be tightened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpRtWN3f4E

(advance to 8:20)

I was hoping for better info with my alldata account. While it addresses the need on both tightening elements, it shows what I believe is an open O2 sensor specialty ratchet. These are almost universally 22mm, NOT 21mm. None of the O2 sensor ratchets that are in my German set seem likely to handle the foot lbs. prescribed in this awkward spot; too loose as well.

Am I missing something? Is this another type of ratchet that I am ignorant of?

Capture from Alldata here:

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 5.52.59 PM.png

Please let me know your thoughts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #26
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I had previously seen that video, which does appear to have been produced by a professional organization, and noted the straightforward methods used that conflicted a bit with information elsewhere. Other than the unfortunate Mario Brothers garb, it was generally difficult to find fault with the presentation however. It may well be that use of an impact negates the need for counter force. Of course I know this will drive you mad as you won't know exact torque.

I have never seen a socket like the one pictured that wasn't 22mm(7/8). I searched a few haunts to no avail for either a single offering in 21mm or a set including same. I agree that with the required torque this would not be a 'close enough' sort of venture. The picture in the Haynes is terrible(of course) but they appear to be using a wrench with a socket bit passing through to secure the rod. No, they don't explain how they torque to spec on reassembly with this setup. Would you have room for a 21mm crowfoot? Apologies for not being more help. I've not had to do this yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a 4dr XR with the Sports Pkg (XJ2).
Can anyone tell me what the OEM part number is for the front struts?
I searched online, can't find it. I guess I could try to look on the car itself.

Are my struts the same as the 2dr struts?
Anyone else out there with a 4dr XR with the sports pkg?

Gary

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 PM   #28
AstraFasta

Check these part numbers out Gary.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../93195740.html

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../93195747.html

There seems to be different part numbers for XE, XR, transmission type, climate control type, etc. LH and RH have different part numbers. Several exclude your Jaguar sport suspension XJ2. I can't believe GM had all those part numbers.

So you might call Chevy dealer with VIN and ask for OEM part numbers just to confirm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #29
goob

JFS

Wondering how your strut replacement went?
Did you use your HF Impact wrench to loosen and tighten the nut on top of the strut? If it worked, I'll go pick one up.
What did you use to compress the spring?

How does the car ride with the Bilsteins?

Thanks,
Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #30
JFS

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
JFS

Wondering how your strut replacement went?
Did you use your HF Impact wrench to loosen and tighten the nut on top of the strut? If it worked, I'll go pick one up.
What did you use to compress the spring?

How does the car ride with the Bilsteins?

Thanks,
Gary
My experience was a mix of good and bad, with a nice result. There are a number of impact wrenches that HF makes and with sales, their prices are all over the place. Same for their compressors. I like what I purchased.

The disassembly of everything was uneventful. Puting the new stuff on was a boitch. In all humbleness, I had to ask a shop I like to put the struts and springs together, I was not satisfied with my attempt. They did it for me at no cost, with the promise I would return for an alignment. The DIY shop I intended to use went out of business and I do not have a proper work bench to fit a vice.

The car is transformed.

I am working up a full report with pictures for this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
goob

I found these GM part numbers on the side of my front struts:
Can someone with a two door XR tell me if the numbers match what you have?

Passenger Side:
BF

Drivers Side:
AF

I couldn't find any ACDelco number on the part.
I'm trying to find out if the 2dr xr has the same struts as the 4dr with sports pkg.

Thanks,
Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #32
AstraFasta

Those numbers are difficult to cross reference. Maybe they are supplier refernce codes?

I think this is the Bilstein model for "sport" z18xer Astra's right front (22-274830)

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/22-274830

The secret Bilstein catalogue you can search

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...D018004&12=100

I also see other brands in europe including Koni, KYB, Sachs, and some unbranded (with wierd names).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #33
AstraFasta

I think one of the issues is that several countries in Europe effectively have no speed limits. So Euro makers typically soften US suspension packages for ower lower speeds and poor quality roads.

It is possible the "regular" z18xer Euro suspension was sold in the US as "sport" and a softer package was made for other US Astras. Not easy to figure that out.

That Sporty Bilstein B8 I referenced might be a slightly more sporty option than US OEM based on generic descriptions at Bilstein.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!