SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 02:19 AM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default GM Tech2Win software

has anyone tried this? For $50 you get a few days of a license for a tech 2 on your PC. Much cheaper than anything a dealer would do. However it's not clear what hardware it supports. Certainly it works with GMs MDI but does it work with more common USB connectors?

Has anyone tried this?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: GM Tech2Win software

No idea but google has lots of info and YouTube has videos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Works with this for $500 (from what I can find): http://www.drewtech.com/technician/p...ongoosegm.html

This one's a MDI clone for under $200, probably needs "custom" Tech2Win software: http://www.obd2tuning.com/gm-mdi-tec...er-p-1673.html

These aren't proper GM cars so any non-GM hardware saying it supports GM without specifying Saturn might & might not support the S-Series fully.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

I would be carful..while tech2win is good for looking at codes and data..special functions&learn abilitys are limited...it does not cover all cars&trucks..very hit or miss in my experience..as im a current gm dealer tech with my own laptop/tec2&candi/mdi...many times I have sterted with tec2win and had to shift to tec2 as an output function was not available....tec2win was an experiment and is kinda on the back burner now that the mdi2 iscomming out this summer...haven't seen an update for tech2win in over a year and 2 yrs for tech2.....I cant speak to how tec2win will work with clones and the mongoose personaly. I have heard mixed results from other gm field techs who went that route to avoid paying the 1300 for an mdi(we don't get ant breaks in purchase price eather)..the mixed results I attribute to eather compatablity issues such as 32 bit or 64 bit opering system.version of windows,firewalls,malwear/virus softwear....the guy in question's abily

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL1

Just curious if there were any updates to this thread. I would like to replace my BCM myself and would like to know what devices I'd need to program the new one. Are tech2 clones capable of doing that? Is a GM subscription required?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can swap in a new BCM if it is compatible by running the security reset. Must have the same number of connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just picked up a Tech Two from E-bay for less than $500. Not sure if it's a clone or not, I'm thinking it is. It does some pretty fancy things. The Tech Two monopoly on the software may have run it's course, and the new CAN technology is here now. I think there are a lot of scanners out there for less than I paid especially when you are dealing with older vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walsh View Post
I just picked up a Tech Two from E-bay for less than $500. Not sure if it's a clone or not, I'm thinking it is. It does some pretty fancy things. The Tech Two monopoly on the software may have run it's course, and the new CAN technology is here now. I think there are a lot of scanners out there for less than I paid especially when you are dealing with older vehicles.
Sure but its important to differentiate between most scanners that just read the ODBII codes who's protocol is public domain vs scanners that read and update GM specific fields. Those scanners either require an expensive license fee paid to GM for the specifications or some kid in China taking a guess at what certain signals may do to your PCM usually by trying to reverse engineer what a real Tech 2 is doing but of course he's only looking at some specific car and making assumptions about the rest. The license fee is what makes expensive scanners more expensive.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote