SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Number6
Number6 is on a distinguished road

Question Front bearing/hub installation question

Hi folks,
I am working on replacing front hubs & bearings on my 1995 SL1. I have had the old pressed out and new Timkens pressed in by a machine shop. When I picked them up from the shop, I noticed that there is a bit of play in the bearings. Closer inspection shows the play is not between the bearings and the knuckles, but within the bearings themselves. I can grab the hub and hold the knuckle still, and move the hub up and down a little. As this is the first time I've done this job, I'm not sure if this is normal or not -- perhaps this play will disappear when the axle is bolted up and squeezes the bearing, but if this is dead wrong I don't necessarily want to go and attach everything just to take it apart again ...
Does anybody know?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Number6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Number6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Front bearing/hub installation question

Welcome to the Board.

When you install the axle/outer CV joint through the bearings and tighten the axle nut up there free play will go away.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Number6
Number6 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, ssicarman, I found it to be just as you advised.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Number6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Number6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

You're welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Not to worry you, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this analysis. Since the axle mounts inside the hub and the hub is a solid piece, no amount of tightening on the axle nut is going to have any effect on the bearing race at all. Rear wheel drive cars with inner and outer front wheel bearings, yes indeed, tightening the axle nut will draw them up. I installed my own bearing on the hub and knuckle recently and you have to be certain you only apply pressure to the race (inner or outer) you are installing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
ssicarman

When installed the hub is pressed into the inner races of the bearings. The outer race is one piece and the inner races are two separate pieces.

The hub is up against the inner race of the outer bearing. The axle (outer CV joint actually) is up against the inner race of the inner bearing. The hub does not come against the outer CV joint. There is space there.

So when the CV joint/axle nut is installed it pushes on the hub and pulls on the outer CV joint pulling the two pieces together causing them to compress the inner bearing races. This takes up any play.

I certainly agree that when you install the hub that you need to support the inner races while you press the hub in. If you don't you will ruin the entire bearing assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!