SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #221
SW2STICKySHIFT
SW2STICKySHIFT is on a distinguished road

Default Re: S-Series Swap Guide

Some one with interchangeability knowledge...? It clearly states they are diffrent...

But will a 1996 run in a 1999 sw, IF all the 1999 components are swapped? I know its a stupid question with the guide in front of me.. I just want to hear it from someone else that its totaly wont work at all... even with components swapped.... ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2STICKySHIFT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2STICKySHIFT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2STICKySHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #222
solarcar_sc1
solarcar_sc1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

i remember reading a thread on here stating that someone had a 99 sc1 m/t. removed the stock pcm and swapped in a 99 sc2 a/t pcm. eliminating the rev limiter. is this a successful swap? and are there any benefits from doing this for instance future forced injection?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solarcar_sc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solarcar_sc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solarcar_sc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #223
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarcar_sc1 View Post
i remember reading a thread on here stating that someone had a 99 sc1 m/t. removed the stock pcm and swapped in a 99 sc2 a/t pcm. eliminating the rev limiter. is this a successful swap? and are there any benefits from doing this for instance future forced injection?
Assuming that the person also did a twincam swap, only benefit is that the car was usable until the correct PCM could be found.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #224
solarcar_sc1
solarcar_sc1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I have a 1999 Saturn sc1 manual transmission...i found a 1998 sc2 manual transmission will it fit and work correctly without an issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solarcar_sc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solarcar_sc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solarcar_sc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #225
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarcar_sc1 View Post
I have a 1999 Saturn sc1 manual transmission...i found a 1998 sc2 manual transmission will it fit and work correctly without an issue?
you should ask your questions in the forums, rather than in the stickies people don't read the stickes as much

It will fit, and it will work The gearing is different, though, you will see a drop in MPG (hwy may drop as much as 20%). If you have cruise, it might not engage in 4th or 5th gear, as the PCM may see an incorrect RPM for the speed. You might also get some transmission-based codes.

Someone here mentioned they put SOHC engines (like in your SC1) into DOHC cars (like the SC2 trans you found) and had no problems other than the reduced MPG (and higher RPMs)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #226
travywile
travywile is on a distinguished road

ok im a 20 year old mechanic did all the schoolin and what not but any way i love saturn . now iv got a 98 sc1 with of course a 1.9l sohc the head gasket went in it . iv got a 99 head iv got every thing i need for the swap. iv got the old head off the only thing im worryed about is the pistons hitting the valves . iv got my car already apart and i have a back up plan too. i just wanna know if i get this all said and done will they hit ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travywile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travywile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travywile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #227
travywile

its a 99 twin cam head sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help travywile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #228
dbbarney
dbbarney has a spectacular aura aboutdbbarney has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

1997 sl2. What are the model years I can use when replacing the ac compressor? The current compressor says '98' on the back and the badge says DCV 11G. I didn't see ac compressors in this swap guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbbarney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbbarney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #229
fastow
fastow is on a distinguished road

Ok I hope this is the best thread to ask this. Is there any performance difference between 98 and 99 cyl heads it looks to me the ports on the 99 are some what smaller on the exhaust. both are rated the the same horsepower though right ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fastow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fastow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fastow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #230
travywile

98 has a flat tappet dezign for the lifters and 99 has a roller rocker dezign they make the same power yes but honestly flat tappet is more reliable my 02 had the roller rockers of course but 2 of the rollers just fell out for no apperent reason lol go with the flat tappets

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #231
travywile

dbarny 96 to 02 single or twin a/c compressers will work buddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #232
shinotheweevil
shinotheweevil is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Hey I was just wondering if all radiators are interchangeable? I have a 1993 Saturn SC2 and my radiator is shot going to the junkyard today to get a replacement and was just wondering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shinotheweevil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shinotheweevil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shinotheweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #233
Brendo613
Brendo613 will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

Keep these restrictions in mind & you'll be able to find what you need

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brendo613's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brendo613 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brendo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #234
BobtheTechguy
BobtheTechguy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Can I put newer hood and headlights on my 95 sl2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobtheTechguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobtheTechguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobtheTechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #235
maxbugnme
maxbugnme is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Just put a 99 DOHC head on my 94 SC2, had to use the timing chain,sprockets and cover from the 99 and modify the downpipe for the precat exhaust manifold. Engine started up and ran on first couple starts. On attempt to test drive it hesitated to accelerate and died and cranks over but wont start. Do i need to change the crank position sensor or coil packs to accommodate the 99 cams? Any info out there on this swap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maxbugnme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maxbugnme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maxbugnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #236
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

This is a reference thread, rather than an active thread for questions, so people rarely read this thread.

Your best bet is to start your own thread on the technical forums (that is, if you still have question after searching ).

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #237
barbaros
barbaros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
RIP turbosaturns.net
Have a look at this ecudevice i hope you can find something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barbaros's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barbaros reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
barbaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #238
Ledsleds
Ledsleds is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Hey guys, I have a 97 SC1 Id like to put a DOHC engine in it complete swap tranny included, what if any major or minor changes / Mods would need to be done to make this work and what years of DOHC cars would be the best donor / candidate. Thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ledsleds's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ledsleds reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ledsleds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #239
bakers12120625
bakers12120625 is on a distinguished road

I have a 02 sl1 sohc auto I want to convert to manual and build up my block to dohc what year should I use for the conversion. And is there anything im going to have to mod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bakers12120625's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bakers12120625 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bakers12120625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #240
bakers12120625
bakers12120625 is on a distinguished road

I have a 02 sl1 sohc auto I want to convert to manual and build up my block to dohc what year should I use for the conversion. And is there anything im going to have to mod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bakers12120625's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bakers12120625 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bakers12120625 is offline   Reply With Quote