SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
jacobprange
jacobprange is on a distinguished road

Default Low oil level

Hello everyone,

My Fiance has a 2007 Ion with about 130,000 and recently had the car shut off on her shortly after starting. It had every symptom of the fuel pump failing. It would start and run for a second then shut off. I am out of town so she had the vehicle towed to a trusted maintenance shop. They came to the conclusion that the car shut itself off due to a low oil quantity reading. There was never a low oil pressure light or any kind of a service light/message. I changed the oil myself, with her there (I've done so many many times) and know it was properly serviced. If it wasn't in the serviceable range it couldn't have been that far off. My question is whether or not this vehicle even has a shut off system like this? If it does why would the low oil pressure light never have come on along with no other messages or warning of any kind. I'm skeptical.

Thank you everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacobprange's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacobprange reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacobprange is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Low oil level

It soulds like your SO doesn't check the dipstick.

THat's the real oil level warning - there is no other.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

So going forward... you don't mention if they topped off /Changed the Oil and it's back in Regular Service with no apparent issues or not. (Sounds like very good news if that is the case...) You didn't say what the Service Interval was... Might not be a bad idea to change the Oil soon if they hadn't changed it. Give the Filter,Oil,Engine a good look over see how it looks... (Might even consider sending an Oil Sample in for Testing... see if the low Oil resulted in any issues you'll want to monitor/address in Future...)

Might be a good idea to confirm the Oil Pressure light is still passing its startup "light test"... While under normal conditions it hasn't lost/burned oil something new might have occurred so count yourself lucky that the ION decided not to keep running regardless of what Monitoring Systems it has. It didn't like it... I wouldn't either if I was suppose to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

To answer the original question. There is no low oil level shut off system on the car.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobprange View Post
Hello everyone,

My Fiance has a 2007 Ion with about 130,000 and recently had the car shut off on her shortly after starting. It had every symptom of the fuel pump failing. It would start and run for a second then shut off. I am out of town so she had the vehicle towed to a trusted maintenance shop. They came to the conclusion that the car shut itself off due to a low oil quantity reading.
I've never heard of such a thing and doubt its existence. I am reasonably certain that if a "low oil level shut off switch" - for lack of a better description - existed then information about it would be found in the Ion Owner's Handbook as this would be very important for an owner to aware of. Your thinking that this problem more closely relates to a fuel pump failure is reasonable to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobprange View Post
There was never a low oil pressure light or any kind of a service light/message. I changed the oil myself, with her there (I've done so many many times) and know it was properly serviced. If it wasn't in the serviceable range it couldn't have been that far off. My question is whether or not this vehicle even has a shut off system like this? If it does why would the low oil pressure light never have come on along with no other messages or warning of any kind. I'm skeptical.
If SaturnFans members are correct about this "shut off switch" not existing then it seriously calls in to question just how trusted this "trusted maintenance shop" should be.

(My further interpretation of this would be that any professional mechanic or service advisor who said such a thing about an engine shutting off due to low oil quantity should be ignored at best, or fired at worst. I assume that this repair shop is populated by adults, therefore they know better than to provide false information to anyone regardless of what repair work they are attempting to diagnose or perform.)

295,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 06-14-2016 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: additional information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote