SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
jwdrinkwaterjr
jwdrinkwaterjr is on a distinguished road

Default New old Saturn owner

I just bought my first Saturn. I know it's a 1993, it has the 1.9 SOHC and an automatic tranny.

That's all I can say for sure about it. How do I tell the model of my car? It's a four door sedan, but has no badges anywhere that denote it as a SL or SL2.

I traded 5000 pounds of scrap iron for it with a guy who had only just gotten it himself. He said when he got it, the previous owner had thought there was a serious internal error with the tranny and let it go for scrap. The scrap guy got it home, looked it over, and found a bent bracket that holds the shift cable. He straightened it, ran it down the road a bit, then brought it home and stuck a For Sale sign in the window. He admitted knowing nothing else about the car.

I drove it home, replaced one tire that had a bulge in the tread section, and seriously inspected the little 4 banger. Someone has replaced a LOT of parts on this car. The alternator, starter, and battery are new. So are the plugs, wires, fuel lines, and fuel filter. It looks like the valve cover gasket has been changed recently (evidence of an old leak running down the engine, which doesn't leak now, valve cover and surrounding area look purposely cleaned).

The headliner is ripped badly, and by the way all of the interior plastic is just kind of stuck back into place, I'd say its removal had been in the Saturn's future. Someone in the car's past also wired up a manual toggle for the engine fan. The toggle works fine and turns the fan off and on, and the gauge also seems to work correctly.

I have noticed that every now and then the car will seem to 'bang' into gear. A guy at the local parts store said to check some nut on some shaft on the transmission to make sure it's tight. Aside from this seemingly non-issue with the shifting, the only other thing the car needs is a headliner and struts.

But to get back to the matter at hand, how do I tell what this car is? I have no documentation other than the title, and that doesn't even say on it.

I've only had it a couple days, but really like the car. Here in Maine it is nearly impossible to find anything used and still decent due to the chemicals that get put on the road in the winter, but this 21 year old Saturn looks brand new underneath. I know the body panels won't rust, but the condition of the rest of the car would make it worth putting a lot of money into.

So somebody let me know, if you would, what have I got?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jwdrinkwaterjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jwdrinkwaterjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jwdrinkwaterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: New old Saturn owner

sl2 was twin cam engine and ights go all hte way across the back. sl1 is single cam. sl was base model with no options.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote