SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
TowGuy
TowGuy is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Wrench DIY Intake Manifold Gasket for 2000-01 SL SOHC

I did my own install of an intake gasket today on my 2000 SL SOHC. It took me about 2 1\2 to 3 hours with alot of time spent chasing dropped nuts from behind the engine. It is fairly easy to do by disconnecting the left side motor mount and raising the engine about 1 inch so you can back off the bolts that hold one the power steering pump. DON'T back them all the way out. You need to move the pump about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in order to make room to slide the intake manifold back off the studs. There is a bracket on the right side of the intake that needs to be disconnected and that's about it. Most of the nuts on the intake can be reached from the back with a 4 inch extension and swivel with air ratchet if you have one. With the bracket disconnected and the pump loose you can slid the intake back off the studs without disconnecting anything else. My car now runs like new. No more fast idle when hot and rough idle when cold. NOTE: You will lose coolant when loosening off the intake, replace with the same coolant (pink for pink)(green for green) as they don't mix well together. To diagnose the intake manifold gasket problem I sprayed brake clean around number 1 intake and it ran rougher. I had already changed the ECTS and it had no affect.
Greetings from snowy Nova Scotia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TowGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TowGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Closed Thread