SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY
Default LW200 Shift issue P0122 & P0108 codes

Hi gang, my 02 LW200 wagon (automatic/84xxx miles) out of the blue started to buck really hard when going through the gears a couple weeks ago. I pulled the P0122 code with my OBD scan reader and immediately ordered a replacement AC Delco TPS sensor.

Decided to check my electrical system first due before I did that TPS replacement. At two of the auto parts stores my alternator and starter were tested fine but one of the places said battery was shot, the other said OK. Decided to replace the battery with an Interstate MTP-78 one since I have not replaced it since I bought it 5yrs ago & it was on my "To Do" list anyway.

After the battery install it was seemingly back to normal, everything was going driving & shifting fine. Today it was raining a bit & I noticed the transmission bucking while shifting on the way home. While waiting to turn onto a street, no power or RPM's when I tried to accelerate. Thought I was going to push it home. Turned it off, then back on & gunned it across the busy street to make it home safely. No wrench icons on the screen (either times) but plugged in the OBD reader again and back came the P0122 code along with the P0108 code for a MAP sensor.

Should I start with the TPS sensor first and then do a MAP sensor or just do them both now? Anything else I should check? Is this a PCM failure? The bucking I can deal with but having no power at a stop light really concerned me.

Thanks again everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destro5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: LW200 Shift issue P0122 & P0108 codes

If I had those two codes and shifting issues I would look at the MAP 1st. When my MAP went out about 10 years ago I had some really hard shifts between 3rd and 4th gear.

Nothing as bad as you describe though.

2000 LS2

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:39 AM   #3
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Well I decided to take it up to my local mechanic to have him give it a look over before I was going to go ahead and change those 2 sensors. His OBD scanner didn't pick up the codes in the morning and neither did mine. Possibly that they went away? He then asked when was the last time we did the fuel filter, which after looking it up was about 2 years ago/25000 miles ago. Decided to put a Duralast fuel filter on there and see if that helps. According to my mechanic, the fuel filter was pretty clogged.

So far the last couple of days it has been lurch free and no issues. Would you guys STILL install those 2 sensors or just leave them be for now?

Anyone have an actual picture of inside their engine where the MAP is located?

Thanks again gang!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Our PCMs are designed to eliminate trouble codes when the errors which generated them no longer exist. Leave the sensors alone. I've replaced only one exhaust related sensor, the upstream O2 sensor, but a code wasn't present. I did it to reduce the numbers I was seeing on my smog test and, happily, it worked. I've also replaced the CTS because I wasn't sure that it was reading accurately. After installing the new part and comparing the readings I remembered with the original sensor it turned out the the original one was off but not greatly so.

The MAP sensor is located on the side of the throttle body facing the cylinder head and below the hose assembly routed from it to the power brake booster.

(FWIW, I've used WIX fuel filters after replacing the factory original which lasted over 80K miles. The aftermarket filters typically needed replacement at about 40K miles as I could feel when acceleration was beginning to drag. My last replacement was with a GM/AC Delco filter, p/n 25319686, with the hope that I will get more miles of use out of it. We'll see...)

316,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-28-2019 at 10:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Thanks for the tips and advice on here Pierrot! I'll leave those sensors alone and keep an eye on it going forward. Might still hit the throttle body with some cleaner as I have CRC brand sitting here.

Appreciate your tips on the Fuel Filters too, keep those in mind for next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!