SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
12:oc7ock
12:oc7ock is on a distinguished road

Default Unsecure window seal :(

The rubber external window seal on both driver and passenger sides, but mostly the driver side have started to come unattached from the door and the window goes offset and creates an opening which lets alot of wind in when driving and is quite annoying. I'm getting ready to spend a significant amount of money to rejuvenate my 96 SL2 and this is something I want done. How much would the dealer charge to replace this piece? I know the rubber seal (please provide correct part label) can't cost more than $30 and maybe 40 or 50 if that for labor. thanks

BTW, its the black piece that lines the whole upper part of the door from the hinge to the doorjam to provide a barrier from the outside I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 12:oc7ock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 12:oc7ock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
12:oc7ock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: Unsecure window seal :(

I need the same thing done on my 94 SC2. Dealer wanted $60 for the part. NO WAY! I'll find it in a yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
yougotit
yougotit is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

When mine started shrinking five years ago on my 96 sl I just pulled the rubber piece apart where it joins at the floor and used the slack to jam it all back into where it belonged...then I had a gap about an inch or so at the bottom and that is where I filled it in with silicone seal..not pretty, but effective. Ever since then the black rubber strip has stayed in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yougotit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yougotit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yougotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
12:oc7ock
12:oc7ock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotit
When mine started shrinking five years ago on my 96 sl I just pulled the rubber piece apart where it joins at the floor and used the slack to jam it all back into where it belonged...then I had a gap about an inch or so at the bottom and that is where I filled it in with silicone seal..not pretty, but effective. Ever since then the black rubber strip has stayed in place.
Where it joins at the floor? I think we aren't on th esame page. This is the thick rubber strip on the top portion of the door. It ends at the doorjam and right above where the door hinges to the body of the car. Unless SL1's are different.

Regardless, it's bugging the shat out of me and I'm not sure if my window coming offset is from this or whether it's off track internally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 12:oc7ock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 12:oc7ock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
12:oc7ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Has a CHANNEL that the TOP part of the glass inserts into when the window is rolled all the way UP; right? It just PRESSES into the channel. You can pull it right out. (And replace it the same way with a new or used one in better condition) As a stop-gap measure, purchase a can of 3M Weather Stripping Adheasive (AKA "Gorilla Snot") FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS on the can. Remove the offending piece, apply the adheasive to the portion that inserts into the door/window frame (allow to DRY a bit in accordance with the DIRECTIONS) and then press it back into the channel. Should hold it on, and fix you right up for about $5.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
xante
xante is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

wolfman, same go for a sunroof seal? or is it a moonroof...anyways...

the seal on mine has pulled away from the glass and is leaking.. which makes me wanna kick some ***...cause the dealer said he had replaced with a good one that didn't leak.....which is odd considering how much water I get on the seat and headliner.... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xante is offline   Reply With Quote