SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
JimRice
JimRice is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Inherited an Aura, preventative maintenance

I inherited my father-in-law's 2008 Saturn Aura XR 3.6. It's in great shape, garage kept, only 73,000 miles. As far as I can tell, the steering gear was replaced, but it never had the transmission fail so the original 3-5-R wave plate is still in it. Is that an when, not an if it fails part? I've spoken to a mechanic and a transmission shop and neither wanted to get into the possibility of replacing the wave plate before it fails.

As far as I can tell with the receipts, the car has never had the transmission fluid flushed. The transmission shop suggested a flush and a flash with the latest software for this transmission.

I expect I'll be driving this car quite a bit in Washington, DC area traffic. Does anyone know a shop nearby that will replace the wave plate before it fails? Should I not worry about it?

Also, is there anything else that should be taken care of on these cars outside of the scheduled maintenance? I've got a turn signal lever and the trunk support struts to replace.

Thanks for all of the information here - it's helped a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimRice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimRice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimRice is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Inherited an Aura, preventative maintenance

I hear a voice in my head saying...If it ain't broke...Don't fix it.
On my '08 XE with 146k miles, I just do regular maintenance and fix things up as they break.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, JimRice! I hope that you'll be sticking around here for the "ride"!

As one can see from my login information I do not own an Aura, but I was really interested in them when they came onto the market! I too agree with the old line - "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I would perform a tranmission drain on this car. I'm presently not a fan of the transmission flush as it brought unnecessary trouble to my transmission for a while. Now, if a flush is actually recommended in your Factory Service Maintenance schedule then, by all means, go ahead and do it. With respect to a wave plate replacement now, that is an elective procedure. If you expect to have the car for more than a year or two then you might consider doing it, but know this - it's a major repair job and typically very expensive. Find out how much it may cost. Considering that the factory was repairing or replacing a significant number of 6T70 transmissions on various GM products, I'm inclined to think that this is a matter of "when" it will fail and not "if" it will fail. (Others can disagree with me. That's fine. It's merely my opinion. It is interesting to note that this particular transmission was developed jointly between Ford and GM, but Ford didn't have the recall problem with it that GM did.)

The trunk supports shouldn't be difficult to replace yourself. I don't know anything about replacing the turn signal/headlamp switch on an Aura. (Replacing that switch on an L-Series car is fairly easy.)

Otherwise, simply follow the factory service maintenance schedule. Doing so has served me well.

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-13-2019 at 12:43 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
JimRice

2008 AURA XR

Thanks for the encouragement. The turn signal switch and the trunk supports were easy. However, I also found a burned out headlight. I was already planning on taking it to my mechanic for brake rotors and pads and the drive belt squealing on start-up, so I'll probably ask him to replace the headlight too. I don't have a place to do any real car work here.

Otherwise, this is a great car and I expect to hang on to it for a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JimRice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRice View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. The turn signal switch and the trunk supports were easy. However, I also found a burned out headlight. I was already planning on taking it to my mechanic for brake rotors and pads and the drive belt squealing on start-up, so I'll probably ask him to replace the headlight too. I don't have a place to do any real car work here.

Otherwise, this is a great car and I expect to hang on to it for a long time.
May I suggest you search this extensive forum to read of other Saturn Aura XR 3.6 owner's experience and mechanical wisdom. I have found this place a great source of information that has helped me get my Saturn running well, whether I do the work or pass it onto a mechanic.

You obviously will find great sources on youtube as well, such as richpin06a.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

I agree with a trans drain and fill, and would not use the manual shift mode as that puts pressure on the wave plate. Up to 108k, without issue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another AURA XR owner in the DMV.

I've had my Aura for 10 years (purchased new in 2008, traded in 2011, bought it back a year later). I'm not much of a DIYer when it comes to cars but the forum has been an invaluable resource. There are many knowledgeable and helpful folks here who are quite willing to share very useful info.

Hope you’ll enjoy your new AURA XR and visit the forum often!

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
JimRice

2008 AURA XR

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Since we got the car up here, I've replaced the turn signal switch, the trunk lid support struts, and installed the front license plate holder.

My mechanic has replaced:
  • Water pump and flushed coolant system
  • Alternator
  • Serpentine belt
  • Headlights and turn signal lights in front
  • Third center brake light

Brake pads are good, rotors have a little shake when braking, but not enough for me to replace them now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!