SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Check your spare tire!!!

About twice a year I check all the spare tires on all my vehicles. I probably last checked the spare on my LW200 around early winter - and if I followed my usual pattern, I would have topped off the air pressure to keep it at 60PSI.

Last weekend I checked it again and found this:

It's still holding air - but obviously it's not good for anything now. I can only assume that heat and age finally got to it.

I did use this spare once - about 10-12 years ago, for about 20 miles.

I'm going to look into getting a new tire put on that rim, if it's not too expensive. Otherwise maybe I can find one from a junkyard that isn't too bad.

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 265K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Check your spare tire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
About twice a year I check all the spare tires on all my vehicles. I probably last checked the spare on my LW200 around early winter - and if I followed my usual pattern, I would have topped off the air pressure to keep it at 60PSI.

Last weekend I checked it again and found this:

It's still holding air - but obviously it's not good for anything now. I can only assume that heat and age finally got to it.

I did use this spare once - about 10-12 years ago, for about 20 miles.

I'm going to look into getting a new tire put on that rim, if it's not too expensive. Otherwise maybe I can find one from a junkyard that isn't too bad.
^^^ Why not just replace it with a full size tire and rim. Even the 16" wheel with a tire fits the well on that wagon. I have full size rims and tires for spares on all of my wagons.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The same thing happened to my space saver spare tire about two years ago and it never saw any action. I got a replacement from a Pick-Your-Part self-service wrecking yard. It was quite inexpensive.

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

This is a common issue. The problem with a cheap pick n pull spare is it is also going to be old. You can get a new mini spare. I used motorcycle tools to remove and remount mine.

Here is a thread on the subject.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60735

But, if you can fit a full size spare, why mess with the donuts? Get a full size from the junkyard. That would be cheap and much better.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Happy Re: Check your spare tire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
But, if you can fit a full size spare, why mess with the donuts? Get a full size from the junkyard. That would be cheap and much better.
^^^ Agreed. My wife and the kind guy that stopped to change a tire that picked-up a nail while driving remarked at how nice it was to see a car with a full size spare.

I got some brownie points from the Mrs. with that situation.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
This is a common issue. The problem with a cheap pick n pull spare is it is also going to be old.......
You have no disagreement from me as to preferring a full sized spare tire. For the time being things are satisfactory. If the spare tire well in the sedan is actually deep enough to accommodate a full sized tire and keep the floor cover of the trunk level then I'll be happy to make that change when the time comes.

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
rb6667
Advanced Member

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The well only accepts a full size tire and wheel on the L SERIES WAGONS.

Pretty sure other forum members have tried to fit a full size on a L series sedan and it will not fit.

Not sure about other Saturn Models.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

So here's what I decided to do - I bought another space saver spare from a junkyard via eBay. I had him send me a closeup of the tire's date code - which showed it was 3.5 years newer than mine. Good enough!

It also just looks a lot newer, I suspect it's from a car that was garaged. My car has lived outdoors it's whole life.

When it arrived, I jacked up the rear and removed the rear tire and test fitted the new spare - at that time I tried the full size tire in the spare well to see how well it fit. It fits, but it's tight. Also there's no way I can use the hold down bolt as it's way too short to hold a full size tire. And I had to remove all my emergency tools and supplies that I was keeping around the spare.

So for me - getting another space saver is a better solution, and probably cheaper. I doubt I would have found a steel rim and decent tire for the $75 I spent on eBay for the new spare.

YMMV

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 265K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
rb6667
Advanced Member

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
at that time I tried the full size tire in the spare well to see how well it fit. It fits, but it's tight. Also there's no way I can use the hold down bolt as it's way too short to hold a full size tire.
YMMV
^^ If you put the tire and wheel in the well Upside down, the hold down does work. Sorry, should have mentioned that. No worries about damage to the wheel. The factory at least on the 04's, provided a very thin pad to place under the spare. You also can store supplies/tools inside the wheel now. The only downside is you have to remove the wheel/tire to check the air pressure.

Glad to hear you got your situation taken care of.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!