SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
xhbaolxo
xhbaolxo is on a distinguished road

Default engine ticking on LS-1

I have searched previous topics but was not able to find anything specific. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have a 2000 LS-1 with 94100 miles on it. For about the last 15000 or so, I have noticed an audible ticking noise coming from the engine upon startup. The ticking goes away after a minute or so and does not return unless the car is shut off and left alone for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, or any amount of time greater than that, the ticking will occur again. I took my car in to the dealer recently for an oil change, and the service tech said it may just be low on oil (I went on a road trip a month ago and but about 6000 miles on the car before getting an oil change). I figured, OK, makes sense. Got the oil changed, still have the ticking noise. A friend of mine suggested that maybe a cam needs adjustement or maybe a valve is stuck and then works its way out after a minute.

The car runs great other than that. I have had no serious problems, except with the current recall (dealer doesn't have parts yet).

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xhbaolxo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xhbaolxo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Could be bleed down of one of the hydraulic lifters. Pressurized oil leaks out of the bore in the lifter, causing the lifter to lose close contact with the cam lobe. Until the lifter gets pumped up again with oil, there will be too much clearance between lifter and lobe, causing clicking. Check with sattech, ssicarman, wolfman, etc for their ideas on whether it's a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
jacobsstcg
jacobsstcg is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have the exact same car with about 105k miles on it and I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution to it?

Jake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacobsstcg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacobsstcg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
xhbaolxo

No, I still have the problem. But, I have not had the time to further investigate. Sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xhbaolxo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Sounds like it could be a stuck lifter, have you tried running some MMO in the crankcase a few hundred miles prior to changing your oil?

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
jacobsstcg
jacobsstcg is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I thought that is could have something to do with the lifters also, however after checking out some more threads I ran across this one http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...?threadid=2229
Is there a possibility that the canister purge solenoid is also the solution to the problem described in this thread? I know that the clicking noise I am getting on my LS1 is worse when it gets cool/cold outside and the engine has been sitting for a while. Plus from what I have been able to find it is a pretty cheap part so it may be worth throwing on a new one anyways. Has anyone replaced the canister solenoid themselves? Is it a easy install?

Jake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacobsstcg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacobsstcg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Crash2
Crash2 is on a distinguished road

I have a problem that's sorta similar maybe, I have an LS2 '01 and there is also a clicking type noise, but mine doesn't go away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crash2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crash2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
xhbaolxo

I am going to have to look into that TSB mentioned in the posted thread. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #9
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

That TSB affects 2000-01 L-series with Ecotec engine - the opening/closing of the canister purge solenoid can create noise, and because of its location it can be heard inside the car. The bulletin advises to replace the solenoid, and install the new one in a new location using some new connecting parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Garciavision
Garciavision is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: engine ticking on LS-1

Ticking is Spark plugs working

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garciavision's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garciavision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #11
binaryterror
binaryterror is on a distinguished road

My Dealer has said for the LS81 3.0 V6 in the cold weather (i see you live in OH which is right near me in MI) is usually caused by the Injectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binaryterror's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binaryterror reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:50 AM   #12
Shawn1388
Shawn1388 is on a distinguished road

I also have a 2000 LS1 that is making the same startup noises and i think its the timing belt coming off because when my wife drove it to work she parked it and came out after work and there was no compression. I had it towes to my mechanic and the timing chain had slipped off. the mech. put the cahin back on and could not figure out why it came off. the car started great for a month or two then the same thing happened again. this time the mech. changed some guides on the cahin and once again the car started great for a month or two but now its doing it again and I'm afaid that the cahin will fall off again. Or worse in the middle of driving. I was told it might be a vacuum hose or amybe some kind of oil pressure that was causing the problem but haven't figured it out yet. Any help with this would help me greatly to nip this problem in the butt before it gets worse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shawn1388's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shawn1388 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The Ecotec is an interference engine, if the timing chain comes off you bend valves or blow pistons. I find it hard to believe your timing chain has come off and there's been no major damage to the engine.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #14
JohnnyRotten
JohnnyRotten is on a distinguished road

I've seen 2 posts with people claiming timing chain falls off on the ecotec. Very suprised the mechanic "just put it back on". I thought it was a majior opperation to replace timing chains and cost upward of $1000.

1997 SL Silver
2002 L200 RED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnnyRotten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnyRotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #15
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I had a similar sound. This turned out to be a small metal piece of debris inside the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain. This had become stuck between the cylinder and piston parts of the tensioner, causing it to stick. The bore of the cylinder and the surface of the piston had been scored. I removed the debris, cleaned up the parts and re-installed them. At the same time I removed to valve cover to inspect the chain and valve train. This all looked perfect. This was about two months ago, no noise since. Car has 100,000 mi on it.

Yesterday went to the dealer to try to get a new tensioner. Parts guy said that the new part will require to also change the hinged chain guide. I don't think I will do this now, as to change the guide will need to remove the timing chain cover, etc. - a pretty big job.

If you have a ticking or rattling noise for the first few seconds of running, it could likely be the chain running loose until the tensioner pumps up. It is extremely easy to remove, inspect, and re-install (15 min with a 32mm socket). I strongly recommend you check this out. A loose chain could be very bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
Shawn1388
Shawn1388 is on a distinguished road

the mechanic did just reinstall it because it happened before the engine was running i talke to saturn and they said the the oil pressure tnsioner was on the inside of the engine and i would need to take vale cover off to get to it and if there was oil in the car LOL so i went to get the oil cahnged and went to start the car the next day and i think i fell off again but to change the tensinoer seems like a alot of work and now to put the chain back on i'm screwed i can't wait to get rid of the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shawn1388's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shawn1388 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
gbalbach
gbalbach is on a distinguished road

I have 55k on my 2001 L200 and have had the same startup when cool/cold ticking sound for a few mins then it goes away. Had it at the dealer for oil change and inspection and they heard the ticking but had no idea what it was. They ran some engine cleaner through but no change. The car has been doing this for months now, guess it isn't causing any problems (so far). If anyone figures out exactly what this is I'd love to tell the dealer so they can properly fix it. Such an annoying sound!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gbalbach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gbalbach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #18
gbalbach
gbalbach is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I had my car at a different mechanic today to check out the startup ticking sound. They heard it and checked it out and thought it might be the flange gasket, replaced that, didnt fix the problem. They said the only other thing it could be is the exhaust manifold - must be some sort of crack in it and after it heats up for a minute or so the metal expands and the sound goes away. I appoligize for not having more details, I don't know enigines all that well. They said it will cost around $450 total with tax, parts, and labor to fix it. What do you all think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gbalbach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gbalbach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread