SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
93sl1
93sl1 is on a distinguished road

Question SL1 Hesitation when engine warm with AC on

I have a 93 SL1, about 76K miles. I continue to have lots of hesitation after the car has warmed up and when the AC is on. There is no hesitation when the car is cold and the AC is on. It only starts after a few minutes after the engine has warmed a bit. Does this indicate a bad sensor? Can the engine programming be changed to correct this? Is there a switch I can install that will shut the AC off while I am accelerating to get around the problem?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

A dying Engine Coolant Tempurature Sensor COULD be the cause of your problem. It's a relatively easy part to replace and cheap too.... It's a 2 WIRE sensor located on the drivers side of the engine just under the point where the uper radiator hose attaches to the head. I would recommend cleaning the throttle body's butterfly and throat as well if not done recently and running a quality fuel injector cleaner through the tank BEFORE replacing the sensor. As if your injectors are a liitle clogged or your throttle butterfly a little gunked up it could be the actual root of your problem.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

'93 Saturn motor has 2 Coolant sensors for both Temp Gauge and car computer. They are not hard to replace like you said, but I doubt if this is really the culprit.

93sl1, what's your Coolant needle reading during your drive with AC on? If it's near on the Cold side (Away from Mid-point, near 1/4 mark) even after long driving you may have a bad thermostats.

Also, are you driving an Automatic? You got to realize '93 SL1 motor only produce 85HP, with AC on and Auto tranny you won't expect to have lots of oooomphs from this powertrain. Esp during HOT days with air temp rising, you motor is less efficient to convert gasoline into HPs too. That's why performance people are looking for ways to route lot of COLD air through the intake near ground instead......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SL1 Hesitation when engine warm with AC on

Quote:
Originally posted by 93sl1
Is there a switch I can install that will shut the AC off while I am accelerating to get around the problem?
Thanks
When you depress the gas pedal almost all the way (about 90% I estimate, someone else knows the exact #), the compressor automatically shuts down for a few seconds to give you the extra boost you need. With the temps around here in southern CA I use the AC a *lot* and find myself flooring it anytime I'm heading onto the freeway, especially if the onramp is on an upgrade. If you don't want to stomp the pedal so much, you can get into the habit of clicking both AC and recirc buttons so the air you have cooled already stays longer in the system, then just pop that ac button back on when you're at cruising speed.

I normally keep the recirculate button off unless I'm behind an oil-burner or diesel to keep fresh air coming in.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2002, 10:27 PM   #5
93sl1
93sl1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.
The car has a manual transmission. Over the past year I have replaced plugs, wires, oxygen sensor, EGR, and most recently the alternator (it died). I considered changing the MAP and coolant sensors but have not done it yet. The coolant needle stays at about midpoint with the AC on. I did not realize that the AC would shut off if the pedal is pressed down far enough. I have been turning the AC off and on with the AC switch when I need to accelerate quickly.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2002, 12:29 AM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I drove several TBI equipped SL1s today (85 hp.. for those that don't know that the TBI injected model is the 85 horse one.) and noticed that ALL of them were slow to rev with the air on- like it was really straining the enigne. However, it seems that the newer 100 HP models don't strain nealry as much, and are still quick to rev with the A/C on.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

That's right. The AC on my lovely 94 SL is straining the motor whenever switch on, so I know the feeling. Is it because of the older compressor design or better compressor clutch?

I realize later model '00+ of Saturn has a quieter operation when engaging the AC, at least I don't hear the 'Click' engagement noise whenever pressing the AC button and the motor is less straining too! (SOHC motor)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:27 AM   #8
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Is the AC cutoff a sure thing, and if so, what years have it? When I got my car, I wondered about it, but the owners manual says nothing and this is the first I've heard of it. Prior, I had only heard about the feature on performance engines, so I figured GM was too cheap to put it on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread