SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
climbski
climbski has a spectacular aura aboutclimbski has a spectacular aura about

2000 SW2
1999 SW2
Default Warm 98 SL2 Engine Hesitation when changing throttle position upward

Recently helped a friend purchase a 98 SL2 with 170k miles. Car is in good condition. Engine has very good power. Has a two year old problem that has never gotten worse according to previous owner.

No check engine light no codes.

Car hesitates when giving it pedal only when warmed up. Happens at all rpms but is more noticeable at rpms under 2500. Lower gears are also more noticeable due to jerkiness. In first and second it is significant enough that it can stall out when shifting if you are not used to it. Happens anytime you give it pedal even when using Cruise control. When driving behind the vehicle slightly blue exhaust occasionally visible at higher rpms and throttle. This hesitation/engine cutout is momentary then the acceleration kicks in and the motor has strong pull.

I recommended she purchase it anyway at $900 as I consider this a probably minor issue.

Today I spent a fair bit of time trying to solve the problem for her. Here is what I've done.

Replaced champion plugs with properly gapped recommended NGKs.

Replaced PCV

Removed throttle body and cleaned thoroughly.

Replaced ECTS and plug and checked plug orientation thoroughly.

Replaced ICS and TPS (with used from pick and pull so not sure about those).

Results
NO CHANGE to main issue but car idles lower.

Friday I plan to pull my coil packs from my 2000 SW2 and the wires (if the wires fit) and try them out. More complete inspection of vacuum lines

Other possibilities I am considering

Fuel filter, fuel pressure test. Timing belt?

FRUSTRATING! Any thoughts?

Last edited by climbski; 11-05-2013 at 09:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to climbski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help climbski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
climbski is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links