SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL
1995 SL2
Default New to me Saturn

I drove to Evansville Indiana today and bought a 2001 so1 122,000 lady has owned it since 2003.
I am doing all the mounts and changing transmission fluid. Clutch feels good still. The last 15 miles home it started running kinda down on power think it had a misfire. No engine light the coolant temp sensor was the original resin sensor and it was cracked. I replaced it and it ran great in the driveway. Rotors are warped and valve cover seeps a little bit it other than that it's pretty solid.
I did notice with my little hand held code reader the live data showed the ects and the it's randomly going to -20 and stuff and the fuel trim were way out of wack but then I plugged in my mx obd link and used the mx obd link app on my phone the pids (live data) looked good. So I'm not sure what that's about. I didn't see a tune up in the paper work she had for the car that went back a couple years so I am doing one . The water pump is original should I go ahead and replace it? The radiator has been done this year as it was leaking. I plan on driving it quite a bit so whatever you think is best I'll do. Wait till the water pump shows signs or just do it now. Underneath has no rust the car is very clean for it's age. Very happy to be back in an s series again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Phyzik sl2
Phyzik sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: New to me Saturn

Hey, glad to see another user in this forum in my area. I work in princeton at TMMI but drive from kentucky. Anyway, I'd bet your power loss might be due to your O/E coolant sensor. Wonky readings like the -20 that you were getting will mess up your fuel trim so pull those plugs and make sure it hasn't been running lean. As for the water pump. I'd say leave it. If the coolant has been maintained properly then its likely never seen any corrosion. Maybe just add some purple ice for added protection. Also check out reddit as there is saturn subreddit with some good people that can help also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phyzik sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phyzik sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phyzik sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Nice! I'd let the water pump go until it fails.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Congrats!

How much did it run you? I'm tempted to get one like it for a long distance cruiser. There is one close to me for $1800 with 110K on it.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...641026230.html

For the misfire / loss of power, I had a similar issue which I believed I resolve by adding in lots of wire loom spacers (after adding in new plug and wires). So make sure you get these if missing when you do the plugs and wires.

I took my (new to me) 2001 SL2 to work today. Last night I soldered in a new ECTS connector because the existing wires were frayed/broken. Also put in a new ECTS but the old one looked OK.

I've been resolving the issue since buying it a month ago. Now I'm down to a slight but noticeable forward tranny slam and AC. I'd love to only have a manual again but no one else in the family can drive one. And I'm a little burned out after driving the Honda SI (manual) for three years in traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

I gave 1700 for it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Congrats. Not bad miles at all.
I thought that one looked pretty well taken care of in the pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
Congrats!

How much did it run you? I'm tempted to get one like it for a long distance cruiser. There is one close to me for $1800 with 110K on it.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...641026230.html

For the misfire / loss of power, I had a similar issue which I believed I resolve by adding in lots of wire loom spacers (after adding in new plug and wires). So make sure you get these if missing when you do the plugs and wires.

I took my (new to me) 2001 SL2 to work today. Last night I soldered in a new ECTS connector because the existing wires were frayed/broken. Also put in a new ECTS but the old one looked OK.

I've been resolving the issue since buying it a month ago. Now I'm down to a slight but noticeable forward tranny slam and AC. I'd love to only have a manual again but no one else in the family can drive one. And I'm a little burned out after driving the Honda SI (manual) for three years in traffic.

replace your VB now before the trans is really broke.

Recommended valve body suppliers:
Contact Special Forces by PM here
Ken Partin here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-PARTIN-C...item2c80fd9280 Call him, don't just order a VB.
Or call these people (Donny IIRC) and mention Saturnfans: http://centralvalvebodies.com/

You have 3 choices and what they supply and what mods are used by each are slightly different as well is your cost. So depending on how long you want the VB to last is a consideration. As an estimate the OEM brand new VB should last 75,000 100,000 miles if the periodic filter and fluid changes are performed.

I would recommend Central Valve Bodies complete mod package VB if you plan on keeping the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I'm working with Special Forces. He asked me to check a few more things before we replace the VB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The car is a manual. No valve bodies required!

Edit: whoops, did not realize we had diverted to another car. Still, the best way to fix an automatic is to swap in a manual as others have said.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I agree, manual is the way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

Hahahaha I had to read that twice , I was like mine doesn't have a valve body lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!