SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Just picked up a 2001 dark metallic grey SL2 Auto

Almost 143K miles. Engine runs real cold, like Zero LOL! I've got some work to do.

A/C no work. I just bought the Manifold gauge and vacuum pump set from Harbor Freight last week. I have 4 older cars that need A/C work to some degree, so I hope to become an expert once it is done.

This is what scares me - Tranny slams when changing gears. I got a reverse slam once when it was cold. I've never had a Saturn with Tranny issues, so this is going to be a first for me.

The Tranny doesn't lock up but I'm sure that's the same as the temp sensor issue. I know with my other Saturns with Auto they won't lock up until the motor has warmed up.

Engine seems to run great other than the temp sensor. Gas mileage didn't seem too horrible driving 50 miles home. I've filled the tank and zeroed the trip meter, but won't get a good mileage reading until I fix the temp sensor.

Forgot one more thing - can't get a reading from the OBD-II port. They couldn't read the SES light and I couldn't with my Wifi reader.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: Just picked up a 2001 dark metallic grey SL2 Auto

Fix the ECTS first before worrying about the slamming. I once forgot to hook back up the connector after some repair and it slammed.

edit: I then had no reading also so you may want to see if the connector is hooked up b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Yep ECTS is first on my list.

I backed it out of the driveway with no slam, but when I got to the freeway and tried to push it the downshift slam scared the crap out of me! I usually baby Saturns and don't like to rev them, but I wanted to see what this new one could do. Not doing that again.

Here's the dealers website.

http://www.showen4cars.com/2001-Satu...0/Details.aspx

Hopefully they will keep the ad and pictures up for a little while.

I got it for $1000 out the door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Nice clean one.

That ECTS fault will also trigger the SES for low circuit.

Check the fastener for the passenger's side bumper cover in the front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

forward gear slam with minimal reverse slam says valve body to me. It's not hard to do yourself (plenty of threads on it here) but junkyard units are very hit-or-miss. Remanufactured ones with sonnax parts are pretty reliable, but they cost around 200. In any case, you'll want to fix whatever's causing it sooner rather than later, so good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I had forward slams with no reverse slam on my 99, I got it from Joe at specialforces. Very nice guy, quality product. Shifts like new, only took a few hours to install. Simple and cheap.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
DonP1

1999 SL2

I tried having Autozone read my OBD-II port when getting the ECTS . They couldn't read it either. They were saying someone may have tried cutting wires to hide something. I don't see why. The SES light was still on.

Sounds like I'll be reading up on replacing a valve body. I'm not getting any reverse slams. If I baby it, I can get a minimal front slam. If I accidentally cause a downshift, it is really nasty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Cheyne

2000 SL2

I'm not where I have access to the diagrams but check the fuses in the IPJB. IIRC maybe the chime fuse.

The vehicle may shift perfectly normal once the ECTS is corrected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
DonP1

1999 SL2

Good call on the chime fuse. I don't recall hearing any chime warnings.

Trying to replace the ECTS is going to be complicated because one of the wires is mangled and was broken in two. The lighter colored wire has several points where it was crushed. I tried to connect the two ends lightly but couldn't get a temp reading.

How/Why did this happen? It's like a hammer was smashing the wire, or it was getting pinched between something.

Also, there is something different on this one. It looks like an air pump that may be pumping air into the exhaust manifold. Is this a CA car or is this common on 2001 S series?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
DonP1

1999 SL2

Ok regarding fuses, I have a few things electrical that aren't working.

Power door locks.
Overhead light.
No door chime.

I do get "turn on ignition" chime.

I need to make sure all the fuses are working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
DonP1

1999 SL2

I hate that I can't edit after 15 minutes.

Forgot to mention the radio is completely dead (no power) as well.

I checked the fuse box under the hood, and things look ok. One missing spare 15amp fuse.

Chime bells work if I leave the headlights on, but no chime at all when opening the door with the engine running.

Don't know if this is related but the trunk open warning light has always been on.

I sprayed R134 in. The AC system seemed to be empty. The pressure kept going up and up and up (100psi low side), but I couldn't get the compressor to spin with AC on fans on. Looks like more fun. Maybe just a fuse? I'm going to buy some fuses and check all the existing ones for continuity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Did you pull a vacuum before or just added R134a?
You may have a clogged expansion valve if the low side remains that high.
Did you use a full set of gauges or just one of those low side gauge on a can things?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #13
DonP1

1999 SL2

Was late at night and just trying a quick fix. I bought a set of guages and a vacuum pump just last weekend. Still haven't taken them out of the box. I was watching a video on a clogged expansion valve last night.

The dealer said he thought the AC was working when the car came in, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #14
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
Good call on the chime fuse. I don't recall hearing any chime warnings.

Trying to replace the ECTS is going to be complicated because one of the wires is mangled and was broken in two. The lighter colored wire has several points where it was crushed. I tried to connect the two ends lightly but couldn't get a temp reading.

How/Why did this happen? It's like a hammer was smashing the wire, or it was getting pinched between something.

Also, there is something different on this one. It looks like an air pump that may be pumping air into the exhaust manifold. Is this a CA car or is this common on 2001 S series?
I had a 2000 S Series that had that air pump; and mine was NOT from CA It may be that some 3rd gens have them. I remember being surprised to find that my car was not from CA.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - sold

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 280K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My '99 SL2 has an air pump. Bought it in CT, though they transported it from Massachusetts to my dealer so I could skip the options I didn't want. You can buy a new ECTS connector from Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...connector,2564

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #16
DonP1

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
My '99 SL2 has an air pump. Bought it in CT, though they transported it from Massachusetts to my dealer so I could skip the options I didn't want. You can buy a new ECTS connector from Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...connector,2564
Awesome! Thank you I am going to go this route. I have many PC connectors, but I'd prefer to do it with the watertight connector.

Radio works now. The fuse was missing. I have another Saturn and exchanged the door unlock and lock relays, but no luck there.

When I bought it, the driver's side console access panel was removed laying there. I'm not sure what is on that side that someone might have been messing with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I believe the air pump nonsense became standard on 3rd gens

Someone may have been working on an F5 or related issue?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173989

edit: found on another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
All S-series BUILT after 12/31/99 have air injection and depending on the state sold in the 99 Model year may have air injection.

The 2000 models built before 1/1/00 without air injection were sold in the states that did not require it

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
DonP1

1999 SL2

Thanks! Quite a bit to read there. I haven't had fuel pump issues but I'm hoping this directs me to a fix for the OBD-II port. Really bugs me that I can't get a reading on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

haven't watched this video, but might help diagnose OBDII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Nhf4K8ZOo

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1- OBD II pinouts are shown in drawings. Check for a blown or missing 10 amp BODY fuse. Pin 2 Is the serial comm line, pins 4&5 are grounds, and pin 16 is power to the OBD II port from the 10 amp fuse.

2-100 psi measured, presumed low and high sides with compressor not running, is the cooling fan on when ac is turned on? If cooling fan is on, check for voltage on the power wire to the compressor. It should have 12v on it. 12v on the connector probably means the compressor clutch coil is blown. You can check for this by wiring 12v directly to the compressor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (177.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif TifToGif (1).gif (14.1 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote