SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
harrypressman
harrypressman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
Dizzy I Finally Got My Letter Too!

I opened my mail this past Friday to what I thought would be a congratulations and welcome to the Saturn Family. But what I received was the dreaded letter of "See you later sucker". By the end of this year, I will no longer be taken care of by my local dealership. Where am I now supposed to go for warranty work? Any suggestions out there in this crazy phantom Saturn world?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harrypressman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harrypressman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harrypressman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: I Finally Got My Letter Too!

I'd like to see how all of this turns out for all of you in Canada, just don't blame the SATURN dealer, I'm sure they are not happy with any of this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypressman View Post
I opened my mail this past Friday to what I thought would be a congratulations and welcome to the Saturn Family. But what I received was the dreaded letter of "See you later sucker". By the end of this year, I will no longer be taken care of by my local dealership. Where am I now supposed to go for warranty work? Any suggestions out there in this crazy phantom Saturn world?
Wow. I got my dealer letter from Springman's (the one that says "we're no longer Saturn after the end of the year, but we'll still be here in some shape or form") a month ago but still haven't seen one from GM Canada yet. Springman's plans on remaining open and doing warranty work, but that really depends on whether or not GM Canada will let them (AFAIK, the techs are all sticking around and they have the equipment and parts department, so why not?). If that doesn't work, there's always Dueck Richmond and Dueck Downtown (I'd recommend the former over the latter, even if the latter is closer). Because both Duecks also sell GMC, Buick, and Pontiac (at least for another year), those locations will remain open.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Wow. I got my dealer letter from Springman's (the one that says "we're no longer Saturn after the end of the year, but we'll still be here in some shape or form") a month ago but still haven't seen one from GM Canada yet. Springman's plans on remaining open and doing warranty work, but that really depends on whether or not GM Canada will let them (AFAIK, the techs are all sticking around and they have the equipment and parts department, so why not?). If that doesn't work, there's always Dueck Richmond and Dueck Downtown (I'd recommend the former over the latter, even if the latter is closer). Because both Duecks also sell GMC, Buick, and Pontiac (at least for another year), those locations will remain open.
I got my GM Canada letter a few months ago. My local Saturn Dealership didnt send anything. I asked them about a week ago if I will now go to the Hickman Chevy across the street after December, since its owned in the same group of companies (Hickman). They said they arent shutting down, and will stay open for my warranty work, since we can now go to our nearest supported GM dealership, they would obviousley be my closest choice, so what they did is they are just keeping the Saturn/Saab dealership location open and I noticed 2 days ago they are almost cleared out of Saturns/Saabs nothing like before, and now they have brought over some Chevys on the lot and have begun to convert it. For them its essentially just expanded space for their Chevy dealership, and is still a spot where they can still take care of their Saturn/Saab customers warranty work, so it works out just about the same for me. Same people and everything to work on my car so its good for me.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Got mine last week (from GM). It essentially says I'm a valued costumer and they'll take care of me at my closest GM dealership as long as they own my car (it's a lease) and they are liable for the warranty on it. I can read between the lines.

I'm still toying with the notion of buying out that car (07 XE) at the end of my lease as I had planned to do. I know it will probably be worth less than the residual (I don't expect any deals from Big Brother) but it's a great car, hassle free (apart from the brakes), rides great (quieter than an A4!), is well-appointed (loaded) and looks great. If the service and parts hold out, I'll ride it into the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line

I also got my letter but it is not all doom and gloom. From what I gather we will get service from a GM dealer. I currently go to a GM dealer for some service because they are close to my work, like oil changes, etc...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linx3566's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
periklis65
periklis65 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
Got mine last week (from GM). It essentially says I'm a valued costumer and they'll take care of me at my closest GM dealership as long as they own my car (it's a lease) and they are liable for the warranty on it. I can read between the lines.

I'm still toying with the notion of buying out that car (07 XE) at the end of my lease as I had planned to do. I know it will probably be worth less than the residual (I don't expect any deals from Big Brother) but it's a great car, hassle free (apart from the brakes), rides great (quieter than an A4!), is well-appointed (loaded) and looks great. If the service and parts hold out, I'll ride it into the ground.
Thats what my plan is as well. Hopefully like I stated in another post, I can get them to lower the buyback based on "real" value and keep it until it falls apart. If nothing major breaks, GM will never see me again since I already changed my brakes and all oil changes are done by my garage. (They are ripping us off anyways with all the repairs...quoted $980 for a brake job, paid $575 at my mechanic, $50 oil changes, paid $28 at my mechanic...well you get the point).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to periklis65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help periklis65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
periklis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

A few of the previous posts seem to indicate that we are already free to go to a GM dealer of our choice even if a Saturn dealer is still in business. Is this so. It was my understanding that we had to wait until GM tells us where we can go for warranty service.
On a similar note, has anyone taken their Vue (08 XR V6) to one of the quick oil changers. Did they have the appropriate oil filter and more to the point were they able to change it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
molotovman
molotovman is on a distinguished road

harsh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to molotovman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help molotovman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
molotovman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
Ghettoracer
Ghettoracer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

My question is, since Saturn is a line of GM, wouldn't any of the GM dealerships take care of warranty work? Kinda like Scion and Toyota, the Toyota dealership here warranties Scion brands. I'd hate to see GM not sell parts we need for our cars since many of the older Saturns need "dealer only" parts.

1996 Saturn SC1 Coupe - 1.9L SOHC, 5 speed MP2
Mods: AEM CAI, Exhaust Muffler, more to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghettoracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghettoracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettoracer View Post
My question is, since Saturn is a line of GM, wouldn't any of the GM dealerships take care of warranty work?
I'm pretty certain it isn't quite that simple. First, there are special shop tools that would have to be purchased to perform certain repair tasks to our cars, and of course, that means proper training as well. Then there's the service manuals, TSBs, and parts catalogues that would be required (eg: you can't order Saturn parts through a GM/non-Saturn dealership because they don't have the electronic catalogues on file). Plus, some GM dealers may already be operating at 100% capacity taking care of their own customers to suddenly take on more.

I'm pretty sure that just as GM surveyed all of their dealer franchises and gave the boot to some, the same sort of thing would be required to find GM dealerships that can handle the expansion. Otherwise, people would be getting letters telling them to "take their cars anywhere", instead of to "specific dealerships" for service.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Ghettoracer
Ghettoracer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

The reason why I asked that was cause I have a GM dealer in my area as well as a main Saturn dealership 70 miles away but they are 2 different companies. The GM dealer here carries most Saturn parts and the techs can work on certain Saturn vehicles. I am not sure if they can warranty newer vehicles but they do carry parts and have the ability to order Saturn OE parts.

1996 Saturn SC1 Coupe - 1.9L SOHC, 5 speed MP2
Mods: AEM CAI, Exhaust Muffler, more to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghettoracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghettoracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Warren

Received a letter from GM Canada today. Informs me that I can now take my 08 Saturn Vue to any GM dealership (Chev/Buick/GMC/Cadillac) beginning Jan 2/10 where I will receive "excellent" service. Have to wait and see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
mothman
mothman is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 2.4L

Is it unusual that I have not received any letter, from anyone, re: this situation?

I'm in Kelowna, BC, and the Saturn dealer here is, I believe, already shut down (I tried to contact them today, but couldn't get through, and their website is gone).

I've been "in their system" for years, having owned an '02 SL1, and I then bought an '09 Vue from them at the end of 2008.

But I haven't received any information about where to go for future service/warranty work.

I understand that I am to go to "an authorized GM dealer" and there are 2 GM dealers in town (Don Folk Chev and Jacobsen Pontiac Buick).

But... I'm disappointed that I've had to learn that through the grapevine, rather than from the horses mouth.

And, I'm still confused as to whether I can just choose either of those two dealers? Would they have access to the info that shows my warranty coverage? Is that info in some central database that any GM dealer can access, based on... what... my name?

/confused and wondering why I've been left in the dark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mothman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mothman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Warren

The letter I received from GM Canada is quite clear, I can go to any GM dealership, be it Chevy, GMC, Buick and/or Caddy. So chose one and take your warranty info with you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
mothman

2009 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if there was different issues at play in different regions is all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mothman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
mothman

2009 VUE 2.4L

Well, colour me impressed.

I'd sent an inquiry (email) to GM Canada yesterday asking about this, and a GM rep just called me on my cell a few minutes ago to tell me that my service transition is to Don Folk Chev, and they'll have my service history, etc. on record there.

(and as a side note, he said that my warranty info is in their system tied to the VIN, so I don't need to bring my warranty purchase info).

+1 to GM for the quick follow-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
ad astra
ad astra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Lucky me I got two letters !
First, on Dec 7th I received a letter from the local Buick/GMC dealer informing me that they had purchased Saturn specific tools and parts and would like me to make them my first choice for warranty repairs/parts.
The next day, I received the generic letter from GM Canada advising me that I can contact any Chev,Buick,GMC dealer for service/warranty repairs !
Well, as luck would have it, the check engine light came on during the morning of the 11th. I decided to go to the Buick/GMC dealer , seeing as how they had Saturn specific tools. They plugged their OBD tool (which was clearly labelled across the top "Astra Programming") into the Astra's computer but couldn't find any fault codes ! The tech played around for about 40 minutes, even trying other OBD's but couldn't find any codes. They finally determined that the Saturn specific OBD was faulty and would need to be re-programmed. Thankfully , the Astra was running well and I returned on the
15th when their OBD was re-programmed. Apparently, it was only a computer glitch that activated the light due to the cold (-24C) weather. They cleared the code and everything is fine. A rather inauspicious start .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ad astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ad astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ad astra is offline   Reply With Quote