SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
skatethesea
skatethesea is on a distinguished road

Default P000A Cam Position Sensor

Well, i just checked my girlfriends car and she has a P000A Cam Position Sensor Slow to Respond. Her car is sluggish in operation to the point of dangerous when on the interstate. What could of caused this? Also, can she drive it to school until she can get it into the shop? Please do not spare in depth answers. I am in the process of my second F20C build so i have maybe just a little knowledge. But just not with Astras/Opels. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skatethesea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skatethesea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skatethesea is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
skatethesea

Default Re: P000A Cam Position Sensor

also to add on it is an 08 with 18000miles automatic 4dr. Hope that helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skatethesea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
dmoser
dmoser is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatethesea View Post
Well, i just checked my girlfriends car and she has a P000A Cam Position Sensor Slow to Respond. Her car is sluggish in operation to the point of dangerous when on the interstate. What could of caused this? Also, can she drive it to school until she can get it into the shop? Please do not spare in depth answers. I am in the process of my second F20C build so i have maybe just a little knowledge. But just not with Astras/Opels. Thanks.
What is a "F20C" build?

I have some calibration experience working in the auto industry and might be able to offer some insight...

I would suggest not driving it too much longer before getting it in. The crank and cam sensor signals provide piston position info to the ECU (engine controller) which in turn calculates outputs for fuel injection and ignition timing.

If the fuel and/or ignition timing outputs are scewed, you'll see power and driveability loss. In an extreme case you might start to run into combustion instability and emissions problems.

If you keep driving it, don't be surprised if other OBDII codes start popping up.
Get it in.

Hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmoser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmoser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
skatethesea

F20C1 is the engine code for the Honda S2000.

Okay, so we cleared the code when we checked it and it came back up after two ten minute drives. My gf took the car in today and they said they pulled five codes

B-1006
B-3883
B1467F
B1245
P-0011

But they said there were no signs that would cause the codes. So they cleared them and told her to come back when the light comes back on. Hmmm. Sounds sketchy to me. Anyways, if you know where i can find a CEL list it would be really appreciated. Or if you have ever thrown one of these codes let me know what it means. Thanks in Advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
dmoser
dmoser is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatethesea View Post
F20C1 is the engine code for the Honda S2000.

Okay, so we cleared the code when we checked it and it came back up after two ten minute drives. My gf took the car in today and they said they pulled five codes

B-1006
B-3883
B1467F
B1245
P-0011

But they said there were no signs that would cause the codes. So they cleared them and told her to come back when the light comes back on. Hmmm. Sounds sketchy to me. Anyways, if you know where i can find a CEL list it would be really appreciated. Or if you have ever thrown one of these codes let me know what it means. Thanks in Advance.

http://www.engine-light-help.com/P00...ine-light.html

This site explains it pretty well.
"B" codes are body related I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmoser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmoser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

I've read somewhere of issues with the timing belt tensioners on Astra 1.8's. If this is the issue it could def throw cam/crank sensor related codes

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
TortoiseMe
TortoiseMe is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Not sure if you're still dealing with this issue, but I had the exact same problem.
Big difference though is that the dealer found the culprit first try: a cracked camshaft position actuator solenoid filter screen.
Replaced it and it runs like new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TortoiseMe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TortoiseMe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TortoiseMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseMe View Post
Not sure if you're still dealing with this issue, but I had the exact same problem.
Big difference though is that the dealer found the culprit first try: a cracked camshaft position actuator solenoid filter screen.
Replaced it and it runs like new.
TortoiseMe, did you pull an error for this? What were you experiencing to notice this? Can you give details please Im curious because I'm wondering if this may explain something ive noticed myself. Do you have a manual or automatic?

Thanks

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
TortoiseMe

2008 Astra XR

Hi Layoira,

Basically, my complaint with the car was this: after driving for over half an hour, the acceleration got very sluggish - to the point of embarrasment. It didn't seem to matter what gear I was in (automatic trans) it was S-L-O-W.
My morning commute usually takes 35 minutes or so, and it would never occur then, but on the way home (45mins - 1hour commute) it usually would.
Two of the times my check engine light came on, the second time it came on I scheduled an appointment with the dealer.
Yes, from what I remember it was the same fault code - P000A Cam Position Sensor - listed on the work order.
After the repair, acceleration has returned to normal, and fuel economy has improved as well.
Hope this helps!

2008 Astra 5-door XR, salsa red, auto, lthr, sunrf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TortoiseMe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Hi Layoira,

Basically, my complaint with the car was this: after driving for over half an hour, the acceleration got very sluggish - to the point of embarrasment. It didn't seem to matter what gear I was in (automatic trans) it was S-L-O-W.
My morning commute usually takes 35 minutes or so, and it would never occur then, but on the way home (45mins - 1hour commute) it usually would.
Two of the times my check engine light came on, the second time it came on I scheduled an appointment with the dealer.
Yes, from what I remember it was the same fault code - P000A Cam Position Sensor - listed on the work order.
After the repair, acceleration has returned to normal, and fuel economy has improved as well.
Hope this helps!
Thanks! I haven't gotten any check engine lights or error codes that I am aware of yet so mine is either not a problem yet or not big enough of a problem to trigger anything. Its only just started and I notice everything lol. its a little slow as of late, acceleration is slow, and on the highway a few times now, I can floor it and I just cant pick up speed, its hard to explain but its definitely not normal, there's definitely something going on. Will keep an eye on it and will remember your thread.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
TortoiseMe

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Its only just started and I notice everything lol. its a little slow as of late, acceleration is slow, and on the highway a few times now, I can floor it and I just cant pick up speed, its hard to explain but its definitely not normal, there's definitely something going on. Will keep an eye on it and will remember your thread.
I know what you mean by "not normal". I had the same thing happen to me on the highway a couple times, pedal floored but no acceleration. It took about a month of putting up with it before finally saying "That's IT! I'm taking it in!"
Do you have the same where it seems to take at least half an hour before this really starts to show up? How about fuel consumption - has it increased recently?
The mechanic described it as "resistance to acceleration"; which is as good a description as I can come up with for it.
Apparently this part deals with the exhaust timing, which explains alot.

2008 Astra 5-door XR, salsa red, auto, lthr, sunrf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I know what you mean by "not normal". I had the same thing happen to me on the highway a couple times, pedal floored but no acceleration. It took about a month of putting up with it before finally saying "That's IT! I'm taking it in!"
Do you have the same where it seems to take at least half an hour before this really starts to show up? How about fuel consumption - has it increased recently?
The mechanic described it as "resistance to acceleration"; which is as good a description as I can come up with for it.
Apparently this part deals with the exhaust timing, which explains alot.
I havent noticed how long it takes really to notice it, because most of my driving is city bumper to bumper anyways, and its only recently Ive experienced it. But when I went on the highway a few days ago whenever it was and I noticed it for the first time I was kind of surprised by it, with no errors or other warning symptoms. Had to flooor it to try to get any speed, and it just wouldnt play, petal was near floored, and the speedo was just not budging. resistance to acceleration is a good description. My fuel consumption has also went up, despite being summer and really I expected it to go down, but that could have been related to a number of things too.

Im not sure though yet if this is possibly my problem, or if It was just a recalibration issue. I had that done today and what a difference so far, and my consumption went back down. But thats just with one day of driving so far. Im going to take the car on the highway tomorrow and see how it does, but in town on a few cross town arterials doing about 80-90 kmh it accelerated fine today after the recalibration. It could just be its all working much more efficiently now. I might not have had anything physically wrong (no error codes) but could have been problem with the programming maybe. We'll see though im gonna keep an eye out for it.

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
JAC
JAC is on a distinguished road

So, I'm sitting at the dealership right now because my Astra has a P000A light on and P0011 in history. I'm at almost 19000 miles.

P000A is not a cam sensor code, it's "Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Slow Response", which I suppose means that it's not phasing properly.

I checked and there is a TSB for this. Like someone mentioned above, "This may be caused by one or both of the camshaft actuator solenoid filter screens that may have cracked. These filter screens are the circular ones around the barrel of the solenoid, not the inlet screen at the end of the solenoid." Note that it applies to codes P000B and P0014 also.

I'll post what they end up doing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JAC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

maybe thats whats up with mine. My light has come on, but goes off every couple of days or so. My motor has about 21k on it now sense it got put in and has not been mistreated in anyway shape or form. Always changed the Oil a 5k wheither the stupid retard like came on or not, with Mobil 1 Full Sythenectic Oil.

Looks like i need to at least take it in too get looked at and let the idiots there tell me they need to keep it for a month or longer to wait for parts that they dont have in stock and are back-ordered from Europe.

Hey JAC, does your run fine and not have power lost???

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
JAC

I've felt a few "bumps" of momentary power loss, but it seems pretty normal in general. I have been driving more gently though after the CEL came on.

Dealership says it is the intake cam actuator (oil control valve). Parts are on order, could be 5 days...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JAC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
JAC

Mine's fixed now. The part didn't take that long to arrive, I had the car back in 3 days. It was the intake cam oil control solenoid. They also fixed my dash rattle/creak, turns out it was the knee bolster.? Lots quieter now, I love it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAC's Reputation
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
bengl
bengl is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: P000A Cam Position Sensor

JAC,

Would you mind to tell how much labor & parts were? Did they replace one or two of the intake cam oil control solenoids? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bengl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bengl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
JAC

It was under warranty, so no charge for the parts and labor. I don't think they even put what it would have been on the receipt. It was just the intake oil control valve, silver metal rod-shaped thing that's about 4-5 inches long, maybe an inch in diameter, with wires coming out the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAC's Reputation