SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
penguino0206
penguino0206 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 sl2, couple of questions

At freeway speeds my car tends to feel unstable. It seems to feel like im being gently pushed from side to side. Can I assume tie rods? I imagine it would require an alignment as well if they are replaced. Avg shop cost ? 300 +/_.

I also am leaking about 1/2 quart of oil a week (not burning my driveway has the evidence lol) I haven't gone under the car to check there but it appears around the rear passenger side of the valve cover has residue and some small amount of fresh oil on it. As much as I would love to take the time for all this myself I just don't have it. Can I assume around 100 for that job?

(I have searched both of these on this forum just didn't see alot in reguards to cost)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to penguino0206's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help penguino0206 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
penguino0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Re: 97 sl2, couple of questions

To pay to have someone to do those repairs is not worthy of the excuse of "I just don't have time".

They are both simple repairs. Obviously yes, you will have to pay to have an alignment done. A vcg is a quick repair. Inspect the tie-rods. They may not need to be replaced. Do not just assume or leave it up to a shop. They will turn around and bend you over and replace something that is not necessary.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
penguino0206
penguino0206 is on a distinguished road

What else could cause "play" at highway speeds ? And its not an excuse I really dont have time lol. 7 kids, 2 jobs, and have to go to new mexico on friday in the car, simply no time. (had time before but 12oz curls were more important at the time) And yeah I know how shops will try to replace the kitchen sink instead of a seal, boot, or etc. I suppose I have time to check the tie rods myself though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to penguino0206's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help penguino0206 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
penguino0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Most shops are honest though they do make mistakes like the rest of us. I know the dealer wanted over $200 to replace the valve cover gasket. You're probably looking at 4 to 5 hundred dollars. As for what else can cause that drifting, possibly ball joints or sway bar bushings but, tie rod ends are more likely. Awfully easy to do yourself but, unlike OnDaGround, it's for you to judge whether you have the time. I know I paid for an oil change once because I need to take a trip and didn't want to fool with it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote