SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
briansc1
briansc1 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default cam position sensor

I keep getting this code in my 02 sc1,( cam position sensor) I know this is related to the ignition system. I changed the plug wires just for fun. The car runs fine, no misfire,code still pops up, any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to briansc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help briansc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
briansc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2
Default Re: cam position sensor

You are correct , there isn't any cam sensor ,on Saturn SL .
A simulated signal is generated from the coilpack ,by the # 4 cylinder spark event .
Usually any poor operation by the any component of the ignition ,will set this code , those plugwires (just for fun ) might not be up to snuff,or some other part needs attention.
Orten taking the coilpack off ,and cleaning up the mounting surface ,and putting heat sink paste there on install ,will resolve this .
Others have had good results ,by cleaning the bolt threads ,and coil towers.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: cam position sensor

Clean up the coil pack and its mountings to be scrupulously clean, especially the connection points between the ignition module and the flywheel housing it is attached to. Also, you might try swapping the two ignition coils.

I had a similar thing happen on mine when I replaced one coil with an aftermarket one from AutoZone. The old one was cracked so there was little choice about replacing it. Despite cleaning everything like new, the phantom "camshaft position sensor" codes started immediately and persisted until I finally swapped the new coil and the remaining old one.

This signal, as I understand it, is generated by the ignition controller module sensing the spark impulse in one of the coils via a capacitively coupled plate on the top surface of the module. It supposedly triggers the fuel delivery system in some manner by "sensing" the #4 cylinder spark position.

Why it cannot be done in a more reliable way is a mystery. MSD makes a special adapter module that generates this signal. If all else fails, add one of those into the mix.

Hope I helped.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

Last edited by DIYguy; 09-09-2008 at 03:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I had a persistent cam position code even after cleaning coils & module. I got a used ignition module and the code went away when I switched it. I guess something inside the module was corroded. The car ran fine even with the error code though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is a capacitive pickup and output amplifier/buffer to get the #4 plug firing pulse to the PCM. If the circuit becomes defective then you will get the P0341 code even if you do not have a misfire. It is smart enough to detect the misfire and set the code for the P0341, it may not set the misfire code as there is a threshold number of failures to fire in a key on cycle before it will set the misfire code.

If you can get another ICM from the scrap yard that is the easy way to check if it is the problem. Or, if you happen to have an old timing light connect it to #4 and see if all of the firing pulses are present.

Check the resistance of the ignition wires also as that can cause this problem even if the plug fires. The FSM specifies under 12K ohms. The #4 wire is usually 4K to 6K when new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

"There is a capacitive pickup and output amplifier/buffer to get the #4 plug firing pulse to the PCM. If the circuit becomes defective then you will get the P0341 code even if you do not have a misfire. It is smart enough to detect the misfire and set the code for the P0341, it may not set the misfire code as there is a threshold number of failures to fire in a key on cycle before it will set the misfire code."

It is seriously inspiring that some people understand this stuff. Dang!

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote