SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
adetroiter
adetroiter is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1993 SC2
Default Extra exhaust bracket on 1994 SL2?

I am new to the forums and this is my first post.

I have a 1994 SL2 that I bought used a couple of months ago without taking a good look at the underbody. When the exhaust got loud last week, I discovered that the catalytic converter had been replaced by a welded-in straight pipe. The joint between the converter and the back half exhaust pipe has been eliminated.

I'm replacing the whole exhaust system from the joint at the mainfold through the tailpipe, because although the current leak is at the flex unit, the whole thing (except the shiny straight pipe) is well along the way to rotting out.

The system I just took off has a bracket that I don't see on any parts diagram I've been able to find. It's a flattish C-shaped bracket with two holes that mounts to two drilled and tapped holes on the underside of the engine, and then a strap of some kind went around the lower arm of the C and the exhaust pipe, on the bent part forward of the flex unit. By the time I saw it, the bolts were missing and the bracket was no longer attached to the underside of the car, but sort of welded onto the exhaust pipe.

Questions:
Is it likely this was part of the original installation and for some reason isn't on the current diagrams/parts lists? On my son's SC2, where the converter was also recently replaced, there may be a suggestion of something in the same location, but not enough is left to tell if it's the same or not.

Is it something that was the brilliant idea of the guy who cut out the converter, since he eliminated the rod that the rubber insulator/mounts would attach to?

In either case, do I need to replicate it in my new installation? Is it worth providing another attachment point to the engine for stability, in front of the flex unit? If so, how do I find a part - the old one isn't coming off the old pipe easily.

Thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adetroiter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adetroiter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adetroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Extra exhaust bracket on 1994 SL2?

The exhaust systems on the 1994 SL2 and 1993 SC2 are almost identical. Only difference it their length between the cat and that first 90 degree bend.

The bracket you're talking about sounds like the one that has two 10mm bolts that attach it to the two holes in the powertrain stiffenng bracket, then is clamped to the downpipe.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
adetroiter
adetroiter is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1993 SC2

Yes, that sounds accurate.
After I posted this I found an older post on the forum that mentioned the part was discontinued (at least for a '92). Do you think it is worth trying to dig one up, or will not trying shorten the life of the flex part of the exhaust?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adetroiter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adetroiter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adetroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetroiter View Post
Yes, that sounds accurate.
After I posted this I found an older post on the forum that mentioned the part was discontinued (at least for a '92). Do you think it is worth trying to dig one up, or will not trying shorten the life of the flex part of the exhaust?

The 1991/1992 hanger is of a different design and in a different location than the 1993+.

The problem I see from not installing one would be that vibrations from the exhaust system could cause problems where the downpipe meets the manifold or where the manifold bolts to the head. Normally that bracket keeps the section from the head to that bracket secure and the flexing happends at the flex tube.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The part of that support that goes around the pipe broke when I removed it to replace my cat (downpipe-flexpipe-cat assembly, bolt-on). I was able to re-use the part that bolts to the stiffening bracket, and just put a standard exhaust U-clamp on it, and around the pipe. Just had to make sure not to tighten the clamp enough to crush the pipe. Let the clamp nuts rust in position (so they don't loosen up), cut off the protruding ends of the clamp (so it's not extending as low) and Bob's your uncle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote