SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Surging.

I've an annoying one on my 99 SC2.

I got the car with a rod thru the engine. ($300) and bought another 99 with a rusty undercarriage, and swapped engines.

All went easy.

It starts and runs well - but a bit noisy - body rattles which quiet down as it heats up. Good compression 190+ cold. Spark plug readings as textbook perfect.
Very good acceleraton off the line. Decent gas mileage. No SES codes.

I notice a slight surging in overdrive between 45 and 55.

I suspected it might be a knock sensor - but a new one made no difference.

I suspect the ECM has been changed as my reader says ""ABS not supported" although the car does have ABS (Not hooked up) - and it shows a fault for the keyless entry - and the car does not even have power locks.

Any thoughts?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Surging.

The surging issue may be EGR related, try swapping the valve off your old engine then driving it. How old are the plugs/wires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
The surging issue may be EGR related, try swapping the valve off your old engine then driving it. How old are the plugs/wires?
Not sure - but wires appear new. Plugs do not show errosion - so I assume they're fairly new as well.

Will try another EGR. I have a few...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Am now getting a p0326. Still feeling the hesitation.

Live data on my scanner shows erratic advance under all conditions. At steady speeds the advance is between 11 and 34 degrees btdc. ..

Thoughts?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Update. I had to run to town. So once the car was full warm - the advance ran between 40 - 44 btdc at 62mph and 55 mph. No surging.

Grrrrrr....

It's easier when stuff just breaks.

Easier to find...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The surging as the engine warms up is an incorrect air flow through the throttle body. It is usually a wear issue and time to go shopping for one with good bearings and now visible wear. This is a mechanical failure unless you or a previous owner have playing with the static air adjustment screw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

On the way back from town it started doing it again. Full hot (192f) the advance drops down to 10 to 25 degrees....

I have opening day of deer season tomorrow - so I guess the problem goes on hold.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I suspect the bearings are way gone or you have a good air leak between the throttle body and the cat outlet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I suspect the bearings are way gone or you have a good air leak between the throttle body and the cat outlet.
Ok.. I have spares. Any good way of testing one?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Hold the throttle body only straight out in front of you and wind it full open and see if you can feel any motion in the throttle shaft only back and forth towards you. There should be a rubber cap on the static air adjustment screw Inspect throttle bore for any wear.

No wear or motion allowed.

Last edited by OldNuc; 11-14-2019 at 05:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Hold the throttle body only straight out in front of you and wind it full open and see if you can feel any motion in the throttle shaft only back and forth towards you. There should be a rubber cap on the static air adjustment screw Inspect throttle bore for any wear.

No wear or motion allowed.
Thanks!

I dunno when I will get to it. I have 5 deer tags - my SO has 2, and my sister has 2. I expect to be busy butchering deer for the next couple weeks. Fortunately it is cold enough to hang them outside. I have my car gantry (with Saturn wheels) set up for hanging deer..

I'll post a picture when we get some hanging...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

I got caught up on hunting and got some time to wrench...

I checked the throttle body - and there was very little play on the axis to body fit... I checked another one from another 99 - and it seemed to have none at all - so I swapped the body - with the TPS and air....

It did not change at all...

My INNOVA 3160 tells me that the flat spot is caused by spark being retarded - under 20 degree btdc...

I changed the knock sensor and no change.

What else could be causing it to retard?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2019, 01:31 AM   #13
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I dunno the Ig timing determinants, aside from KS... maybe mixture?

FDryer should chime.

I wanted to complement the designer's choice of material for the fenders on the
tow rig (seen in another thread).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote