SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
irondiezl3
irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road

Idea Do they really work speed chip(resistor)

You've probably all seen them. The cheap resistors that claim to add horsepower. Any truth to this? Anyone ever try it please post results!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irondiezl3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irondiezl3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
irondiezl3

Default Re: Do they really work speed chip(resistor)

here is what is claimed not my words what they claim,

This simple, yet effective modification will allow you to boost the power output of your vehicle's engine, without sacrificing reliability or comfort. It consists of a small electronic device (Timing Advance Resistor with directions) that will be inserted between one of your car's sensor and the ECU. This is also know as a 'piggy back' device as it is external to the main processing unit (the ECU). You will feel the gain instantly, no fooling around or expensive tuning necessary.

This mod is a fraction of the cost of those expensive ECU upgrades ($400-$800)

This does the same exact thing adds up to 20 HP!!!!!!!!!

Here is how it works:

You have probably heard of performance EPROM and JET chips. There chips consist of a stock computer program that has been altered to inject more fuel into the engine under acceleration. Timing curves are commonly also adjusted consequently. These chips can be found to be quite effective, but also pricey as you not only need the chip, but also a socketing kit. You then need to do some soldering on your computer board which can damage it and cause it to malfunction. On the other hand, this 'piggy back' electronic device will alter the fuel and timing curves in a very similar way as the EPROM chip would, but without even opening the ECU. How can it do that? By fooling your computer and letting it think that you are sucking air at a different temperature. Your computer will respond with increased power!
(20hp)

HIGHEST HORSEPOWER GAIN PER DOLLAR! UNLEASH THE TRUE POTENTIAL OF YOUR ENGINE!

This mod had been used by many drag racers on the track!

100% SAFE, 100% LEGAL!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help irondiezl3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3 View Post
You've probably all seen them. The cheap resistors that claim to add horsepower. Any truth to this? Anyone ever try it please post results!
no, they don't work at all. they don't do anything that pushing the throttle to the floor won't do. except drain your wallet.

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Do a search on this topic. The proverbeal horse has been beaten to a decompossed pulp.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
irondiezl3

sorry guys just say a large thread on it shoulda searched better thanks for input

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
irondiezl3

while your here one more question you know that extra box in the air box assembly? what the hell is the point? why is there 2 boxs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

It's a resonance chamber to quiet the intake. Doesn't make the car more or less powerful, just makes the noise a more comfortable (more bass?) frequency.

If you take it off, please cover the hole it leaves with tape. Otherwise it'll let hot air in from the radiator, that's not measured by the IAT sensor.

Also file down a tab on the side of the box that has potential to rub the upper radiator hose.

Do all this and enjoy the newfound space and visibility under the hood.

While you're at it, under the air filter where the fresh air pipe comes in, that pipe is too long. Again it's for sound deadening. Cut it shorter, maybe an inch into the box. There's a rivet that'll have to get cut through to get the extra piece out of there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
irondiezl3

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
UR Saturn
UR Saturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I'm going to be installing a surge performance chip in the next few weeks, I'll let everyone know if it does anything or just wastes gas.

It's not necessarily what car you have, it's what you do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UR Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UR Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UR Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR Saturn View Post
I'm going to be installing a surge performance chip in the next few weeks, I'll let everyone know if it does anything or just wastes gas.
Trust us, it wasts gas. There are some for other cars, that re-program the PCM, but there is no such thing for a Saturn, that I know of.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
UR Saturn

1996 SC2

http://www.autodirectsave.com/prod/C...nce_Chip/17558

Never heard of it, not expecting much, but I figured I would take a gamble with it for $100.00.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help UR Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Congratulations! You just spent $100 on a $0.50 resistor (Yes, it's a chip that is pictured but thats all it is internally) that just does what your right foot should be doing in the first place.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

When you find out it doen't do anything much for you. send it to me and I'll disassemble it and let you, and the world, know what I find inside it. (Ansd I wil snd the pieced back to you, not installe it on my SL2.)

Note: when you testitm di a blind test. No I don't mean putting on a blidn fold, but have some one else installit (maybe) and have you drive with/without it, and see if you can tell a difference when it is installed or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
http://www.autodirectsave.com/prod/C...nce_Chip/17558

Never heard of it, not expecting much, but I figured I would take a gamble with it for $100.00.
It's your money. But you're gettin hosed. The blind test is a good idea. The butt-dyno is a difficult thing to calibrate.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It's nothing but a resistor that makes the PCM think it's a different temperature outside probably cooler. Click here for a chart showing the temps and the corresponding resistance. For $10 you can go down to Radio Shack and get resistors for a variety of temps.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
UR Saturn

1996 SC2

yea, well.... that's pretty much all I have to say. I hope it does SOMETHING

It's not necessarily what car you have, it's what you do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member
jjsk8r85 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

it won't. it's just another IAT gimmick. if you really want the same thing, go to radio shack and spend $0.50 on a resistor.

92 SC 5-speed 239k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjsk8r85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjsk8r85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjsk8r85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #18
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
yea, well.... that's pretty much all I have to say. I hope it does SOMETHING
It'll turn on your SES light in a week or so.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
I hope it does SOMETHING
The PCM is probably going to figure out the fuel adjustment the added chip is causing, and compensate to maintain emissions thanks to closed loop with the O2 sensor. But if it sets the SES light, you may also fail insepction, if in an area that does inspections.

Hate to admit it, but a number of years ago when I was 20-something I bought a gimmick from JC Whitney that sat under the carb of a '68 Chevy Bel Aire that I had. It had what looked like insect screen in it and was supposed to improve air/fuel mixing resulting in improved MPG and perforamnce. It did nothing nothing measurable to the MPG, or apparent performance, other than waste money. It ended up in the trash a few months later. One more lesson learned about marketing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
NcNghtStkr
NcNghtStkr is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I dont care whats in it, no 8 pin DIP IC is worth $100. I work in electronics.

'99 SC2 5 spd
at 167,000 miles It's in better shape then my POS Honda at half that mileage was
MMO Soak The Saturn way:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65966&highlight=soak

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NcNghtStkr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NcNghtStkr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NcNghtStkr is offline   Reply With Quote