SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
atilla
atilla is on a distinguished road

Default 95 SL1 idle prob and temp prob

Hi all I have a 1995 saturn SL1, The last couple of days I've noticed that when I'm sitting still with my car in drive, the idle fluctuates between 800-1000 rpm's, it just keeps going up and down, if I put the transmission in neutral is sits level at 1000 rpm's, anyone have any ideas? also where would I find the relay for the fan, I know my fan does work, but its been running hot lately, a couple of times when I've been stuck in traffic, I've had to put the heater on to bring the temps down, I just changed the rad,(new antifreeze)thermostat a couple of months ago, Is this just the relay, or possibly something else? Thanks for any help I receive
atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Default Re: 95 SL1 idle prob and temp prob

Search the boards for ECTS I had the same problem changed ECTS [dealer parts only] and cable now all is well.

1995 SL1 126,000
35MPG
Steve
New Jersey
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
atilla

Ok I changed the ECTS and that fixed the idle prob, (THANKS SRGW) and it also sorta fixed the overheating prob, it doesn't overheat as fast, now I just need to get my fan working, What I have been noticing is when I start the car the fan is on, it stays on for a few minutes and shuts off, and never comes on again, I drove the car around yesterday to see if I could get the fan to kick in but it doesn't, I've changed the relay, and still nothing..... any ideas?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

How hot is it getting? My gauge will actually touch (barely) the RED zone before the fan comes on, and cools it down to the halfway mark. Unless it is hotter than 80* F or I am in stop and go traffic, the fan rarely comes on. Does it stay on if you turn on the AC?
You can tell Linux is made by geeks.
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla
What I have been noticing is when I start the car the fan is on, it stays on for a few minutes and shuts off, and never comes on again, I drove the car around yesterday to see if I could get the fan to kick in but it doesn't, I've changed the relay, and still nothing..... any ideas?
If the fan ever kicks on, the relay must be good. When you say the fan is on when you start the car, is that with a cold engine? Is the A/C off? If yes to both, something else is still wrong, and my guess would be that it's the connector to the ECTS. The old ECTS probably failed, and coolant contaminated the connector. You MIGHT be able to resurrect it by cleaning the terminals with a pin or skewer or something. If that doesn't do it, you can go to a local junkyard and cut off the connector to the Intake Air Temp sensor (at the inlet to the air box, way up front, and pay the nice man $5.00 for it.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

That's sounds pretty normal. Yes the fan will stay on when the AC is on to cool the condenser.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
atilla

I don't have A/C,(wish I did) and the fan is on when I start the car in the morning, so its as cold as cold can be, and yesterday when I was testing the car out, it got hot, in the red and the fan still would come on, I had to put the heater on full to get it to cool down, either that or I have to shut it off and I will try that madpogue, I hope it works, Its been a pretty good car to me and it has 243,xxx kms on it

Last edited by atilla; 06-08-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
atilla

Thats another thing, usually when I start the car for the first time in the morning, it will just turn over and over, if I hold the gas peddle to the floor, it will start just like that..... is this a fuel pump prob? I was thinking maybe a hole in the line somewhere?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Flooring the throttle is what's called "clear flood" mode. Ironically, it shuts OFF fuel supply while cranking. It allows the engine to start using the ambient fuel in the chambers that it hasn't burned yet.

You're describing classic symptoms of a shot ECTS connector. The PCM thinks the engine is hot, when it's not. Or, it doesn't know what to think. The fan being on with the engine cold is sort of a "fall-back" or "fail safe" position the PCM sets when it gets a bogus signal from the ECTS. You would think this would also set the SES light, but that's not a given. Well, replace the connector and go from there.

Hey, I just noticed, Oshawa. My wife and I camped there about a gazillion years ago. So settle it for me, is it pronounced OSH-a-wa or o-SHA-wa?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
atilla

Oh here we go with grammer, lol its OSH-a-wa and I bet you were at darlington? and may I say thank you for your help, as soon as the gf get home from work today I'm going to clean it to see if that helps......
Old 06-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Yeah, I THINK that's where we camped (it was many dead brain cells ago...). We even took a tour of the nuke plant; only slightly more complicated than a DOHC...