SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1
Default 12vdc rig to drive water pump

Hey everyone - goofy question for the day - I have always had a rattling sound around 1700 to 2000 rpm under load and to determine if it was something in the serpentine belt array or timing chain slack, about a year ago I pulled the serpentine belt off and drove it for about a minute. The noise went away when I took off the belt, but I am thinking I want to try the test again, but for a longer period of time.

I am curious - I want to jury-rig a 12vdc motor of a decent size, or maybe a battery operated drill, with a socket shaft and socket to fit the water pump pulley nut during the longer test to keep the engine from overheating. I'll spend some time to rig up a frame to keep it aligned with the pulley nut during the test.

Might sound crazy but I am curious if anyone has an idea of what rpm I should spin the pump and how much of a load the pump would be, to determine the torque requirements of the 12vdc motor or drill.

At the time of my original test I found the power steering pump might be making the noise I heard. So something else I thought was I could use this rig to spin each individual pulley one at a time, with the belt and engine off, to see which portion is causing the noise.

Thanks for any ideas...things that pop into my head on cold winter nights haha
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 12vdc rig to drive water pump

It is easy enough to figure out the pump rpm, just measure the diameter of the crank pulley and the diameter of whatever pulley you are trying to drive. For instance: I'm guessing the crank is 7" and the WP is 5". So, at an engine speed of 2500 rpm the WP would be turning 7/5 x 2500 = 3500 rpm.

That is your first problem, cordless drills are rarely capable of over 2000 rpm.

You mentioned a "pulley nut", but I recall that there are three screws on the WP pulley; with none concentric to the WP shaft suitable to use as a drive.

Then, of course, space is quite limited "in front" of the WP, so scabbing a motor there would be tough. And, that is not worrying about engine movement in its mounts...

If I was intent on doing such tests, I would look to mount the electric motor in place of one of the accessories; like swing the A/C compressor out of the way and put the electric motor there.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

Thanks BillR, in all honesty I haven't looked at the pulley yet - I was thinking it was a central nut but you are most likely correct. That would be a deal breaker. More me sitting here on a cold winter's night thinking about how to Macgyver the test. I really just want to run the belt off test for a few minutes, like 5 to 10 mins, but knowing that is far too long to do without overheating the engine. Plus I was thinking I could spin each pulley by this method, and listen to the noise while sitting in the cabin, as I know intimately what the noise sounds like.

Thanks!
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is the drive belt longer and letting the tensioner bang against its own end stop? This would be seen and felt as a loose belt when depressed with fingers. Belt flopping with engine idling. Some members found replacement idler pulleys with smaller diameters - this makes the original belt loose and a shorter belt is needed.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You could probably rig up a spare radiator fan motor to it. The stock fan motor is pretty powerful and it shouldn't take that much power to run the WP, alternator and PS pump individually.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

My opinion: This is an exercise in folly. If the noise is coming from the serpentine system, it's one of the components.... examine them, replace what's broken or questionable. If you don't find it there, it's either not there, or isn't bad enough to worry about it yet.

Buy a mechanics stethoscope and poke around, too. The sound may be detectable at idle that way.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^agree.
If itís just something under the hood, you can ignore it until itís too loud to ignore.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

One man's folly is another man's hobby.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Not so goofy.

Mercedes Benz used an electric pump to circulate coolant through the heater core rather than run it off the water pump.

Reason - so as to not pump hot coolant in the car on hot days, and to not waste horsepower doing unnecessary work.
92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Not so goofy.

Mercedes Benz used an electric pump to circulate coolant through the heater core rather than run it off the water pump.

Reason - so as to not pump hot coolant in the car on hot days, and to not waste horsepower doing unnecessary work.
That has nothing to do with what's going on here.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a side note, early L300's used an auxiliary coolant pump, between engine and heater core. Most likely to ensure coolant flow. Coolant flows thru heater cores without a shutoff valve. A service bulletin from GM informs dealers to remove these pumps due to premature failure (running when engine's running) as a dead pump wouldn't let coolant flow resulting in loss of heating in cold weather. My '03 L300 doesn't have this pump even though the service manual shows it drawings and wiring diagrams. I have heat whenever I need it. One member still had the pump and it died, killing his heater until it was removed.

I agree, it's folly to experiment with an electric water pump just to leave the drive belt off to determine noise issues when there are definite methods to determine where engine noise is emanating from.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
chrisbarett
chrisbarett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As a side note, early L300's used an auxiliary coolant pump, between engine and heater core. Most likely to ensure coolant flow. Coolant flows thru heater cores without a shutoff valve. A service bulletin from GM informs dealers to remove these pumps due to premature failure (running when engine's running) as a dead pump wouldn't let coolant flow resulting in loss of heating in cold weather. My '03 L300 doesn't have this pump even though the service manual shows it drawings and wiring diagrams. I have heat whenever I need it. One member still had the pump and it died, killing his heater until it was removed.

I agree, it's folly to experiment with an electric water pump just to leave the drive belt off to determine noise issues when there are definite methods to determine where engine noise is emanating from.
y nut during the test.

Might sound crazy but I am curious if anyone has an idea of what rpm I should spin the pump and how much of a load the pump wo
chrisbarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #13
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Not so goofy.

run it off the wato as to not pump hot coolun it off the water pump.
run it off the water pump.opower doing unnecessary work.[/QUOTE]

run it off the water pump.o as to not pump hot cool as to not pump hot cool
Old 12-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
power doing unnecessary work.[/QUOTE]

run it off the water pump.o as to not pump hot coolpower doing unnecessary work.[/QUOTE]

run it off the water pump.o as to not
run it off the water pump.o as to not pump hot coolpower doing unnecessary work.[/QUOTE]pump hot cothe water pump.o as to not
run it off the wato as to not pump ol

Last edited by chrisbarett; 12-20-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
wato as to not pump hot coolun it off the water pump.
run it off the water pump.o as to not pump hot coolpower doing unnecessary work.[/QUOTE]

run it off the water pump.o as to not
Old 12-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
Thanks BillR, in all honesty I haven't looked at the pulley yet - I was thinking it was a central nut but you are most likely correct. That would be a deal breaker. More me sitting here on a cold winter's night thinking about how to Macgyver the test. I really just want to run the belt off test for a few minutes, like 5 to 10 mins, but knowing that is far too long to do without overheating the engine. Plus I was thinking I could spin each pulley by this method, and listen to the noise while sitting in the cabin, as I know intimately what the noise sounds like.

Thanks!

I am curious - I want to jury-rig a 12vdc motor of a decent size, or maybe a battery operated drill, with a socket shaft and socket to fit the water pump pulley nut during the longer test to keep the engine from overheating. I'll spend some time to rig up a frame to keep it aligned with the pulley nut during the test.

Might sound crazy but I am curious if anyone has an idea of what rpm I should spin the pump and how much of a load the pump would be, to determine the torque requirements of the 12vdc motor or drill.

At the time of my original test I found the power steering pump might be making the noise I heard. So something else I thought was I could use this rig to spin each individual pulley one at a time, with the belt and engine off, to see which portion is causing the noise.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
^agree.
If itís just something under the hood, you can ignore it until itís too loud to ignore.
;2337785]^agree.
If itís just something under the hood, you can ignore it until i;2337785]^agree.
If itís just something under the hood, you can ignore it until i
Old 12-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #18
chrisbarett

[QUOTE=onlinebiker;2337787]Not so goofy.

Mercedes Benz used an electric pump to circulate coolant through the heater core rathore ratherBenz used an electric pump to circulate coolant throughBenz used an electric pump to circulate coolant through vore rather er
Old 12-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
Hey everyone - goofy question for the day - I have always had a rattling sound around 1700 to 2000 rpm under load and to determine if it was something in the serpentine belt array or timing chain slack, about a year ago I pulled the serpentine belt off and drove it for about a minute. The noise went away when I took off the belt, but I am thinking I want to try the test again, but for a longer period of time.

Thanks for any ideas...things that pop into my head on cold winter nights haha
mp

mp

Old 12-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
chrisbarett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
My opinion: This is an exercise in folly. If the noise is coming from the serpentine system, it's one of the components.... examine them, replace what's broken or questionable. If you don't find it there, it's either not there, or isn't bad enough to worry about it yet.

Buy a mechanics stethoscope and poke around, too. The sound may be detectable at idle that way.
is coming from the serpentine system, it's one of the components.... examine them, replace what's broken or questionable. If you don't find it there, it's either not there, or isn't bad enough to worry about it yet.is coming from the serpentine system, it's one of the components.... examine them, replace what's broken or questionable. If you don't find it there, it's either not there, or isn't bad enough to worry about it yet.