SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
ClosetGeek
ClosetGeek is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Gremlin in my dashboard, please HELP!!!!

Let me first say, that this board is awesome in providing the best answers in keeping old faithful running.

Here's the scope folks.

I pulled my radio/cassette player out of my dash some time ago in hopes of figuring out why my cassette player wouldn't play right / keeping the tape inside the unit.

I partially disassembled it and then when back out to my car to see what was going on.

For a while the unit was working while I diagnosed the problem. Then all of a sudden something seemed to "snap".

I'm not sure what it was but the display of the unit didn't work right or at all anymore and it wouldn't change stations or anything for that matter. Also noticed that my dome light in the car was going off right away now when I shut the door and the "chime" for the key still in the ignition was not working any more. The chime for the headlights are on when the car is off still works, but is faintly audible.

I got on board and started looking at the chime module stuff. I tried what people had suggested about pulling it out and putting it back in, but that did not work either so I thought well maybe I need a new one, or at least a used one from the junk yard. I also checked all of the fuses relating to these items and then all seemed to be fine. So I put them all back.

I went just yesterday to the junk yard and bought a used saturn radio with a cassette player. Found a few chime modules, a bunch of relays and some fuses just in case.

Once I left the yard, I plugged in the "new" unit and it worked just the same. I tried the two used chime modules and still the same result.

What are the chances of a radio/cassette player, multiple chime modules, fuses and relays all being bad? Well I know it could happen but I find it very unlikely.

Therefore I'm in need of some help here. I need some ideas of what and where to start tracking this thing down before I come to the end of my mind and have to take it to the dealership.

Please any and all help on tracking this gremlin down and killing it fast will be most helpful as I will most likely need my rear window defroster soon. It too does not work because of this whole mess.

Thanks and I look forward to all of your help out there.

Matt
Matt

1993 Saturn SC2 - RIP
1994 Saturn SL2
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon (AKA - Da Tank)
1991 Volvo 240 Wagon - Currently Restoring
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2003 Honda Odyssey
ClosetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Matt42
Matt42 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
Default Re: Gremlin in my dashboard, please HELP!!!!

Check the ground wire at the dome light. Also, using a slightly larger fuse may work. E.g., if it's a 5 amp, use a 7.5 amp. I have no idea why this is, but my daughter's friend's 95SW2 had similar problems. Fixing the ground made them sort of better and sort of worse. The larger fuse fixed it. I have a college degree and none of this makes sense.
1993 SW2, 1996 Dodge Cummins
Matt42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Try checking the CHIME fuse with a test light. It may not look broken, but may very well be down by where the plastic houses around the prongs. Its relatively easy to do, because you touch the towers of the fuse while its still in its socket. Whenever i have a problem, i take out the test light and touch-away!

What you're referring to sounds like a bad chime fuse. If its not the fuse, check the wiring behind the junction box. Probe wires, check for continuity, anything you can. Good luck! If i were anywhere close to you, i'd help!
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
92[SL2]
92[SL2] is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1992 SL2

I advice against over fusing!! I fried half of my car by putting a bigger fuse in, half my wires began melting together and cost me over 500$ labour. the only reason the fuse kept burning was a short in my side marker wires. so a little problem with a (what i thought was a quick fix) ended up costing me alot in the end... avoid putting bigger fuses
92[SL2] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
ClosetGeek

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2 View Post
Try checking the CHIME fuse with a test light. It may not look broken, but may very well be down by where the plastic houses around the prongs. Its relatively easy to do, because you touch the towers of the fuse while its still in its socket. Whenever i have a problem, i take out the test light and touch-away!

What you're referring to sounds like a bad chime fuse. If its not the fuse, check the wiring behind the junction box. Probe wires, check for continuity, anything you can. Good luck! If i were anywhere close to you, i'd help!
Thanks to all who responded.

It's too dang cold to check the fuses now, but I will, hopefully this weekend when things warm up a little.

I called the dealership and ordered a new chime module just to be sure. It gonna cost me $35 bucks for this little piece of plastic

The only bad thing about the conversation with the dealership, or maybe I should say sad thing is that supplies are becoming more and more limited in trying to keep "old faithful" running.

When I did go to the junk yard the other week, I found quite a few 1st generation saturns there, which had not been the case previously.

Sooner or later I'll find all the parts I need to put her back together the way she used to be before the stinking deer hit her. What a mess that was. She sat in my garage for a month while I tore the whole front end off just to replace the head lights. What a mess and what a job.

Any ways, I'll check things out this weekend and get back to all of you on how I made out.

Again, Thanks!

Matt
Matt

1993 Saturn SC2 - RIP
1994 Saturn SL2
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2003 Honda Odyssey
Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetGeek View Post
I called the dealership and ordered a new chime module just to be sure. It gonna cost me $35 bucks for this little piece of plastic
Well, it's more than just a little plastic; there're some 'lectronics in there. Whatever you do, DON'T just install it to test the existing one; then you won't be able to return it. Some folks have had good luck with simply removing and re-installing the CHIME module. I'd recommend the same with the fuse (and the test as mentioned above). If nothing else, go back out to the boneyard and grab one for five bucks.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
ClosetGeek

1994 SL2

Finally KILLED the gremlin in my dashboard this weekend.

I picked up the new dome/chime module on Friday night and it actually got above freezing this weekend, so I thought lets see what the heck is going on here.

So, before I plugged in the dome/chime module and fried it, I decided that I would check my fuses one more time.

Now just so you know, I had checked the fuses previously by going through the owners manual first and writing down the number of the related fuses and then checking them against that list. Well I did this again and they were all fine.

So then I started checking every fuse. I started at the lower right hand corner of the fuse panel with number 20 I believe. I didn't have to go very far because on pulling out the second fuse, number 19, I discovered that it was blown

Once I replaced it, I then went and tried out everything and all my stuff worked again. Then I opened up the owners manual and guess what fuse 19 is.... you guessed it. CHIME Module!!!!

So, now I have a brand new dome/chime module that I hope Saturn will take back, although there slip says something about not taking back electronic stuff, not to mention the 10% restocking fee....

If they don't take it back I'll just sell it on ebay along with the other two that I have in an attempt to recoup my loss here.

The moral to the story here is take the time to check your fuses before you go off and buy a part you really don't need...Anyone need a NEW dome/chime module, or a couple of used one???

Well anyways, I can now hopefully set my sights on rebuilding my car since the deer incident over 3 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Matt
Matt

1993 Saturn SC2 - RIP
1994 Saturn SL2
1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
2003 Honda Odyssey