SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Barb1681
Barb1681 is on a distinguished road

Default Airbag light stays lit

My Husband bought a 1996 Saturn SC 4 years ago.When we purchased the car the airbag light was was not on. We took it back to carmax (the dealership we purchased from) to have a keyless remote and alarm installed. When we got it back from the dealer the airbag light was on and remained that way. We did not think much of it and was told by carmax that everything checked out fine. The car passed all inspections since purchase but now due to a new law the airbag light caused the car to fail this time when it was brought for inspection. We brought it to our local service station and after over 100 dollars in diagnostics we were told it was the clock spring, However after reading through posts here and on other sites I am wondering if this mechanic is correct due to the fact that most of the problems I have read about the clock spring also involve the malfuntion of the horn and cruise control, both of which work just fine. I am thinking it was a wiring issue at the time the alarm was installed. Any advice or information would really be helpful.
Barb1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2
Default Re: Airbag light stays lit

Check the Airbag fuse (in the in-car fuse box). Its possible when they were wiring in the keyless entry/alarm, they blew the fuse. I would talk to Carmax again, and make them pay for any repair. The fact they told you "its not a problem" is inexcusable for a safety issue like that. That's like saying, "don't worry, your brakes check out fine, nevermind that you can't stop. We couldn't find a problem."
You can tell Linux is made by geeks.
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Barb1681
Barb1681 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your input,,,,We will be talking to carmax but we were also trying to see if there was something we could do to make the light go off at least to pass inspection.
Barb1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
c5f8
c5f8 has a spectacular aura aboutc5f8 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There's nothing you can "do" to make it "pass" inspection except fix the problem.

Maybe a wire was disconnected during the install of the keyless remote. I hate add-ons like "keyless remote". Electrical systems are designed as a system and tapping into a power source adds shunts to the circuit, and changes capacitances and inductances.
c5f8 is offline   Reply With Quote