SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Malnosis
Malnosis is on a distinguished road

Default Please Help 06 Ion wonít accelerate

Hello, I have a 06 Saturn ion 2.2 that will go into drive but wonít accelerate. When in drive with my foot off the breaks the car will just creep forward. When I put my foot on the gas the engine will just rev up, but around 2500 rpm or more itíll move a little more. But it will go in reverse smoothly, and I also had the starter recently replaced. Iím not sure if itís the forward clutch in the transmission because it will move a little when I rev the engine over 2500rpm. Does it need more transmission fluid? Any kind of help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Malnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Please Help 06 Ion wonít accelerate

Not an expert here but may be able to provide some info that may help diagnose which way to go. First is more background info from your car. Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced, xmission fluid ever replaced, xmission fluid leaking? Best case scenario may be low xmission fluid level, worse case scenario is a damaged xmission. Diagnosing/assessment is needed before any determination is made. Others here may have better info to share. Although the next question may seem out of place, are your brakes releasing - parking brake released, car can be pushed manually forward or backward without engine power?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Malnosis
Malnosis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Not an expert here but may be able to provide some info that may help diagnose which way to go. First is more background info from your car. Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced, xmission fluid ever replaced, xmission fluid leaking? Best case scenario may be low xmission fluid level, worse case scenario is a damaged xmission. Diagnosing/assessment is needed before any determination is made. Others here may have better info to share. Although the next question may seem out of place, are your brakes releasing - parking brake released, car can be pushed manually forward or backward without engine power?
First thank you for responding. The cars mileage is 178000 and I got the car used at 158000 miles. The most recent maintenance that was done was two weeks ago and I got the starter replaced because the car failed to turn over. Before that I had the ignition cylinder replaced. As far as I know the transmission fluid hasnít been replaced and when I bought the car I didnít receive any service records( I know very ignorant of me I just recently started to gain knowledge about vehicles). Yes when the breaks are released it can be pushed manually.
Malnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can reprint part of xmission fluid level checks for '05 Ions, presuming all Ions use the same 2.2L engine and xmission. The recent site outage is still under repair as I cannot upload an image. You may be able to search threads for images, a drawing for part of the xmission showing an access plug to remove for checking xmission fluid level. The following is a partial reprint from service manual;

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
Notice
Refer to Transmission Fluid Vent Cap Removal Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Remove the fluid vent cap.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Caution
The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

Remove the transmission oil level control plug (65). Refer to the graphic at the beginning of this procedure.

Important
The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.

Check the fluid color. If necessary, use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.
Is the fluid color clear red or light brown with no burnt odor?
Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Is the fluid level low?
Add DEXRONģIII automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the plug hole.

Did you add more than 1.5 L (1.6 qt) to the transmission?
The transmission may have a leak. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis .

Was a transmission fluid leak found?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote