SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #1
Buckmeister
Buckmeister is on a distinguished road

Default Getting new keys.

05 saturn vue. Vehicle only has 2 keys, one for doors, one for ignition. Both keys are in rough shape and keys stays very loose in the ignition, no key fob.

I want two keys that work on my ignition switch, and drivers door, and i want a key fob that works. I understand this may be expensive.

I also already know about having to program a new switch to the vehicle and i know how to do this.

I was thinking finding a scrap yard that would sell me an ignition switch, key fob, keys and drivers door lock. Would this work?

If i cant find that, then would i be able to order an ignition switch that comes with two keys and the drivers lock that i found on ebay? Then just going to the locksmith and getting them to program my keyfob?
Buckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Getting new keys.

Since these have bad ignition cylinders to begin with, I wouldn't want one out of a yard that's likely half worn out anyway.

I'd start with a new AC Delco lock cylinder for $33: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cylinder,10041

Then I'd get with that locksmith that you're going to have to pay anyway to program the fobs, and have him key the new lock cylinder to the door lock you already have. You could alternately have a dealer cut 2 new keys to your VIN, which SHOULD match your existing door lock, but not your ignition. Then just have the locksmith key the cylinder to the GM cut keys. Are either of your keys factory GM keys, and if so, does it fit the door lock, or the ignition?

I'd ask the question to your locksmith, and see how they think it would best be approached.
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ignition key also opens doors. If the ignition lock cylinder and door lock cylinder are all original, the keys may be very worn. New keys made from GM should be based on vehicle VIN. GM can cut new keys that should fit door lock and ignition switch. Buying remotes online will be less expensive but only licensed locksmiths and GM with a Tech II scantool are capable of programming remotes to your Vue.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I have these flip keys with built in remote and keep the regular key as a spare. One key should open every door unless a lock was changed.

atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

are you sure your car had a key fob?

my base model 2004 Vue did not have one
my 2001 L200 did

something to think about: if you use a key fob to lock the car, and the body control module fails, you will not be able to drive the car because it sets the alarm, and its a $1000 replacement (happened on my L200) and the car had to be towed to a Buick dealer to replace it.

a replacement key fob will cost you about $200. If you still had one you could get an aftermarket clone fob from Walmart for $70, but they can only make them by copying one you already have that still works.

Im not sure if the 2005 Vue had the smart keys that need to be programmed. With a 14 year old vehicle you are better off keeping it simple.

If you can get some copies of your keys made at Walmart for $10, be happy and forget the key fob.
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
something to think about: if you use a key fob to lock the car, and the body control module fails, you will not be able to drive the car because it sets the alarm,
If the body control module fails you might not be able to drive it for other reasons as well I would assume. If the key fob sets the alarm, wouldn't using the key just shut it off? And just because the alarm is set, does it mean you can't start the car? it doesn't have an immobilizer.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Buckmeister

The key i have for the door is the original, the key to the ignition is a saturn key as well, the ignition switch was replaced with one from the scrap yard at one point.

I do have a key fob for the vehicle, inside circuit board is burnt.

Im guessing that it doesnt match up to the junkyard ignition switch? I replacled the battery in it, and cleaned it up a little bit, if you get really close to the car and press the button a few times the secuirty light will come on, i quickly started the car when that happened and didnt attempt it again.

I think i will call the dealer and lock smith tomorrow, ill let you know what i find out.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
atikovi
Advanced Member

Remove the ignition lock, take it apart and move the tumblers around to match the door key. Not all the tumblers have to be used.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Woodpecker

2007 VUE 3.5L

2004-2007 Vues use an LHJ011 fob (use that for your search), OEM part number 10377295. Make sure what you buy is compatible with that part number. I bought 2 aftermarket remotes from Amazon for about $20 total, and had a locksmith stop by and program them. A locksmith showed up at my work, charged me $100, and programmed them both off of a little tablet thingy (not a Tech II) in about 3 minutes. Had them over a year with no problems.

As stated, you could get 2 keys cut from the VIN, and they'll fit the door. Have your existing lock cylinder rekeyed to match the door lock, and you're done. I'd still spend the $33 from my link above for a new cylinder and have it set to match your keys, so you know you're starting fresh.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
I bought 2 aftermarket remotes from Amazon for about $20 total, and had a locksmith stop by and program them. .
I needed the rubber keypad had posted back on here a few months ago, I ended up buying the replacement case though the icons seem to wear quickly.

for a few bucks more I could had bought the entire remote which I didn't understand & the rubber keys were slightly more than the case. (??)

A lot simpler before when we had vehicles with locks & no remotes.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Buckmeister

Called my local gm dealer who used to be a saturn dealer.

They said they can order me two keys, and an ignition cylinder, all matched up for my saturn, for about 150 labor included. Remotes gonna be an extra 80.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #12
Buckmeister

So, i figured out i can order two remotes with two keys from ebay for 16 bucks, and the lock cylinder for 40 bucks, free shipping on both.

Im going to take the keys to my local locksmith, have him key them to my vin and set up the the new lock cylinder, then ill go home and put in my lock cylinder and program it, then after that's set up ill program my remotes ( guide I read stated ill need two working keys to program key fobs, if I cant, ill go get my locksmith to use the scan tool)

Sound reasonable? Or stick with my 250 dollar dealer plan?

I plan on keeping this vue for quite some time, and really like it so far. That honda engine is great.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Woodpecker

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
So, i figured out i can order two remotes with two keys from ebay for 16 bucks, and the lock cylinder for 40 bucks, free shipping on both.

Im going to take the keys to my local locksmith, have him key them to my vin and set up the the new lock cylinder, then ill go home and put in my lock cylinder and program it, then after that's set up ill program my remotes ( guide I read stated ill need two working keys to program key fobs, if I cant, ill go get my locksmith to use the scan tool)

Sound reasonable? Or stick with my 250 dollar dealer plan?

I plan on keeping this vue for quite some time, and really like it so far. That honda engine is great.
Sounds like a good plan. The remotes will have to be programmed by a locksmith or dealer.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion, the easiest route is:

1. Buy two new key fobs from www.rockauto.com at $54 each

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=5822205&jsn=3

2. Have your local GM dealer cut two new keys based on your vehicles VIN number and also program the two new key fobs
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
atikovi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manospeed View Post
That's not a fob.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #16
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
That's not a fob.
It's not? Does a key fob have to have the key integrated in it in order to be called a "key fob"?
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
atikovi
Advanced Member

It's the remote.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
Woodpecker

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
It's the remote.
Both terms are used interchangeably.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
atikovi
Advanced Member

Incorrectly.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Semantics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large.jpg (103.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GM remote.jpg (162.5 KB, 7 views)
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote