SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
thesnowdrifter
thesnowdrifter is on a distinguished road

Wrench Help! Need to replace electrical, woes me..

Hello,

I took my 2000 Saturn SL for a bit of an adventure one December evening and ended up causing some damage to my right wheel well and subsequently damaged some wiring that existed there. This has caused failure to my dash/instrument lights and my tail lights (sitting lights). Quite literally the wiring has been cut and replacement is the only solution.

After examining and following the wire conduit, I realized it's all seamlessly connected to the entire wiring system. So I'm looking to try and order the wiring from a junk yard or something before I go get gouged by a mechanic, though I have no idea what to look for. If anyone could provide a link to a diagram or any answers to that effect, I would be appreciative.

Thanks!
thesnowdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Re: Help! Need to replace electrical, woes me..

The thing i would do is get some blue butt connectors and some heat shrink and splice the wires back together. The wires should all be color coded, so it should not be a problem getting them back together, just make sure you use the heat shrink tubing to make the wires weather resistant, otherwise you will have problems down the road with corrsion and that is not fun to deal with.
SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
01 sc2m mine
93 sc2m my sons
06 chevy 2500 crew 6.6 DMAX
99 sw2a converted to manuel now a race car
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Billaird99
Billaird99 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

I agree that the best and cheapest option would be to splice all the wires back together. Wanting to replace all the wiring harness is not for the faint of heart since usually they are installed when the car is on the assembly line and not much of anything has been installed on the frame yet.

If there is any type of a covering that was protecting the wire loom you'll need to pull it back enough to expose the damaged wires. That way you can slip over the shrink wrap before the splice and then slide it over when you get done and then heat it to protect the splice. Then you can pull the wrap back over all the wires again and then seal that over for good measure.

Good Luck though since it will be time consuming but not as much as trying to replace the wiring harness.

Bill
Billaird99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
thesnowdrifter

Okay so a patch job you guys are suggesting. That sounds good to my bank account but I have no experience in wiring, and accessing that area is very difficult without the right tools or a lift of some sort. You figure a less mainstream mechanic might do that for $60-$100 or so? I had a patch job done on my exhaust for $60 once, figure some splicing is a piece of cake to the right person.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I don't know if $60 to $100 would cover it. I see several hours of work x $60+ per hour. Ouch. This is a time-consuming job to do right.
Where exactly is the wiring harness? Would removing the fender make it easier? You will need plenty of room, to see what you are doing, to peel back plenty of the flexible cover, and make neat connections.
I would solder the connections and use heat-shrink tubing (from Radio Shack, for example). Solder = 100% success.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Right front or right rear?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
thesnowdrifter

I have no experience wiring and don't have a soldering tool. The wiring hardness wraps around the engine block to make connections to it's various sources. Also this is the right FRONT wheel well, which is fairly accessible with a lift since the panel is busted and the plastic well itself is shattered. I can access the wiring just by reaching over the tire, which was enough to wrap it with a rubber band since it was hanging and dragging on the road. I'm gonna call some mechanics and see what they say and quote me.

Edit: Gonna take some pics next time I get a chance to show you guys the situation.