SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
IanDorety
IanDorety is on a distinguished road

Default ABS Light / Battery Light Stays ON + starter issues 97 SL1

Hi I have a 97 Saturn SL1 with 107,000 miles. For a couple of weeks, the battery light has been coming on and flashing and eventually stays on once I begin driving for a while. Now last night the ABS light came on and stays on. I noticed this morning the car was a bit hesitant to accelerate and driving sort of sluggish. Also for quite some time the car has been quite hesitant to start, often taking 2 attempts to turn over. It has never become a big issue and has always eventually turned over so I never had it looked at. After reading a few posts on some forums, I am wondering if these issues may be related. Please help . . . thanks
IanDorety is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: ABS Light / Battery Light Stays ON + starter issues 97 SL1

LOTS of strange things happen when the battery voltage drops too low. Time to check/replace the battery and get the alternator checked at your FLAPS.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I'll second what off-track mentions....

if the battery light has STAYED ON..it is a clear sign that the battery and/or alternator will need to be replaced.

How old are both of these? If the battery is over 4 years old..it's DEFINATELY time to replace the battery. The fact that your car is moving slow and being sluggish is a sure fire sign that the electrical system is not receiving enough power...so much so that if you continue to drive it like this, especially with it being the summer time (and warm temps), you are asking to get stranded on the highway somewhere.

If you drive with a worn out battery it is going to put strain on the alternator and you will wind up having to replace both of them at the same time....

I would suggest that you take your car to your nearest autozone and get the battery tested, in the car as well as getting the alternator tested under a load test. Chances are, if you have various lights lit up on the dash (Esp. the battery light) then it's time to replace.

If you have a voltmeter you can measure the battery and alternator yourself.

With the car sitting it should be 12 Volts. (good battery) anything less and you need to replace.

With the car running, lights on, and heater or A/C; the voltmeter attached to the battery should read 13-14 Volts (good alternator) anything less andyou need to replace.

Don't take a chance...get them replaced (either the battery or the alternator...or both).

A new battery will probably run about ~ $60-$80....I would reccommend the Blue/Red Duralast from Autozone. Replacing the battery is the lesser expensive to replace.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDorety View Post
Hi I have a 97 Saturn SL1 with 107,000 miles. For a couple of weeks, the battery light has been coming on and flashing and eventually stays on once I begin driving for a while. Now last night the ABS light came on and stays on. I noticed this morning the car was a bit hesitant to accelerate and driving sort of sluggish. Also for quite some time the car has been quite hesitant to start, often taking 2 attempts to turn over. It has never become a big issue and has always eventually turned over so I never had it looked at. After reading a few posts on some forums, I am wondering if these issues may be related. Please help . . . thanks
Without knowing anything else, I'm convinced they are all related and that there is a charging system fault - most likely a bad alternator, but there are other potential causes. The battery will go bad too if it's ran for too long like that.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 50K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote