SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
sr20fd3st
sr20fd3st is on a distinguished road

Default Could cranking with wrong valve timing bend valves?

Hi. I just replaced the valve stem seals in the head of my 99 SW2.

The damn chain must have moved quite a bit and after i bolted the cams and sprockets back up it wouldnt start. then i realized they were way off so I fixed it. still wouldnt start so cranked the motor once over I retimed the cams at the next TDC (cylinder 1), thinking maybe it was sparking and fueling at the exhaust stroke TDC instead of compression stroke TDC.

When I went to put the sprockets back on the cams and bolt everything up the second time, I noticed that there was a good 1/4 inch gap between the rockers and the cam lobe base circles on the intake side. Only thing I can think of is that ALL the intake valves are not up all the way. Cranking sounds too easy like no compression. (fast as hell). No Start.

So by that my best guess is the valved got smashed for being all the way down at TDC and are too bent to even go halfway back up the valve guide. Before I pull the head, I wanted to make sure this all made sense.

Makes sense that exhaust valves are okay, since they are supposed to be open at TDC on the exhaust stroke.

Thanks,
Oliver
sr20fd3st is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Could cranking with wrong valve timing bend valves?

Yes, it usually does bend a few.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Phyzik sl2
Phyzik sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

only if they struck the piston head
Phyzik sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
sr20fd3st
sr20fd3st is on a distinguished road

I just cant think of any other reason why the valve rockers would be so far from the cam lobes, other than that the stems are bend are just cant make it up the sleeves.
sr20fd3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have clearance between the back of the cam and the cam follower then they are bent.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote