SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Sound deadening project W/(pictures)

Well I started my sound-deadening project last week and wanted to share some pictures.
When I did the shocks and struts I removed the inner wheel well liners and used two cans of rubberized under coating with sound deadener. I also added reflectix to all four doors and the hatch. I still have to do the rear cargo area including the quarter panels. I might then take out the carpet and put some down there also. The cans of under coating were $6.00 each and I used 8 of them. The reflectix was $19.00 a roll and I just finished my first roll. So far the vehicle is 100% quieter but this sound deadening stuff is addictive.
Have a good one
Fireman591

fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Sound deadening project W/(pictures)

very nice, i used eDead v3 on my doors, still have half a gallon of it left to use. I've been thinking about throwing some peel n' seal down as well to seal the door panels up more and do the spare tire well and hatch.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

NICE! I plan on doing my entire vehicle too! floor and doors and maybe hatch.

Is it really alot quieter?

I was gonna use dynomat....is this the same stuff?
2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
hAnNibAl_H
Advanced Member
hAnNibAl_H is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thats the way you do the job, and the way it gets done right. I still need to pick up a nice huge roll of it and do my trunk.
99.5 SL2
Blackberry
135k clock
74k Motor
hAnNibAl_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeranger View Post
NICE! I plan on doing my entire vehicle too! floor and doors and maybe hatch.

Is it really alot quieter?

I was gonna use dynomat....is this the same stuff?
This is not dynomat. Dynomat is heavy and expensive. It works by absorbing sound. This works by blocking it. It is sold at most home improvement centers in the roofing department. So far the car es quiet enough to keep the radio at the same level up to 70 mph. Before I did the mod I was always moving the volume up and down on my aftermarket radio.Do the hatch! there is nothing in there but a small piece of foam on about 60% of the surface.
Have a good one and good luck
Fireman591
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Ok I got the rear cargo area done today and what a pain in the butt. It took over 3 hours

2 hours was removing and replacing all the side plastic and rear seat. Once those were out it took about 1 hour for the cutting and glueing of the reflectix material. I went for a drive and it is quiet. I can't hear the rear tires anymore when they hit a expansion joint. I can hear the front because the firewall and floor pans still need to be done. I will do those with a spray on deadener like I used in the wheel well area. All I can say is this is worth the time I put into it. The car is very quiet now and I can't wait to finish up underneath.
Have a good one
Fireman591

Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman591 View Post
This is not dynomat. Dynomat is heavy and expensive. It works by absorbing sound. This works by blocking it. It is sold at most home improvement centers in the roofing department. So far the car es quiet enough to keep the radio at the same level up to 70 mph. Before I did the mod I was always moving the volume up and down on my aftermarket radio.Do the hatch! there is nothing in there but a small piece of foam on about 60% of the surface.
Have a good one and good luck
Fireman591
That's not entirely correct...

Dynamat is a butyl based deadening product (like many others). Typically the more expensive products will be butyl based and the cheaper ones with be asphalt, with the ones in the middle being mixes. The butyl has better temperature tolerances, and so is better in hot or cold climates.

All deadening really does is add mass to the panels to cause them to vibrate less. The more weight there is on a panel, the harder it is for the panel to vibrate, and thus, the less sound it will create or transmit through it. Saturn went absurdly thin on the thickness of metal panels in the Vue (likely in an effort to save costs to pay for the UAW... but that's another issue entirely), so adding any mass at all helps a huge amount.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
That's not entirely correct...

Dynamat is a butyl based deadening product (like many others). Typically the more expensive products will be butyl based and the cheaper ones with be asphalt, with the ones in the middle being mixes. The butyl has better temperature tolerances, and so is better in hot or cold climates.

All deadening really does is add mass to the panels to cause them to vibrate less. The more weight there is on a panel, the harder it is for the panel to vibrate, and thus, the less sound it will create or transmit through it. Saturn went absurdly thin on the thickness of metal panels in the Vue (likely in an effort to save costs to pay for the UAW... but that's another issue entirely), so adding any mass at all helps a huge amount.

I sent these pictures to one of my friends who worked at GM at the tech center when the vue was being build. Here is what he wrote back to me:

I was at GM and we bought the carpet and all the acoustic stuff for the VUE for like $80. You're damn right it is noisy. Japs use tons of deadener and quieter motors. Lexus uses tripple doors seals and thicker glass as well as a very quiet engine.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
xtremeranger
Advanced Member

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

looks good I think ima go w dynamat...gotta start saving tho...Lol....

thats an interesting response from him! LoL!
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K
Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

When you removed the plastic inner wheel liners did you spray the under coating on the metal body?

When I removed my rear plastic inner wheel liners they had insulation attached to them.

My recent rentals, HHR and Charger had insulation packed in the front fenders where the front door hinges meet them.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

ok so i'm looking at reflectix at homedepot and there's two products... There's the radiant barrier foil, and the bubble-pack. Which did you use?

I've been looking for a cheap alternative to dynamat/raamat for a while that would do a respectable job.

NM... Looking closely at your trunk pictures i'm pretty sure it's the 'bubble pack'.

How many linear feet did you need?
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo420 View Post
ok so i'm looking at reflectix at homedepot and there's two products... There's the radiant barrier foil, and the bubble-pack. Which did you use?

I've been looking for a cheap alternative to dynamat/raamat for a while that would do a respectable job.

NM... Looking closely at your trunk pictures i'm pretty sure it's the 'bubble pack'.

How many linear feet did you need?
Bubble pack. One roll was enough to do the doors and rear hatch and I used about a half roll for the cargo area. The were 16"x 20 or 25 foot rolls if my memory serves me.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
When you removed the plastic inner wheel liners did you spray the under coating on the metal body?

When I removed my rear plastic inner wheel liners they had insulation attached to them.

My recent rentals, HHR and Charger had insulation packed in the front fenders where the front door hinges meet them.
I put it on the metal body from the tire side not the cargo area side. The inner liners have some foam on them but what a joke
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Bubble pack. One roll was enough to do the doors and rear hatch and I used about a half roll for the cargo area. The were 16"x 20 or 25 foot rolls if my memory serves me.
well i'm glad it only takes 2 rolls...That stuff here at Home Depot is $120 a roll for 48"X50'... Far cry from the $19 you paid lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line
Happy Re: Sound deadening project W/(pictures)

would not all this sound deading stuff cause added weight and a negative impact on fuel consumption???? Maybe that is why GM did what they did to attain the required fuel milage consumption.
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
xtremeranger
Advanced Member

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Its not that heavy........All of it prolly weighs no more ther that bazooka sub thats attached to his back seat....

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K
Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Its not that heavy........All of it prolly weighs no more ther that bazooka sub thats attached to his back seat....
yeah, the stuff he's using is very light... It's structure is similar to bubble wrap with a lot of small little air pockets, and some other foil material for thermal insulation. It's designed purpose is to add insulation to foundations walls in new construction.

purpose designed automotive sound deadeners like dynamat add lots of weight, because that's how they stop vehicle panel vibration as mentioned above. I forget the member that dynomat'd his vue and he said afterwards his tailgate wouldn't lift on it's own.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
well i'm glad it only takes 2 rolls...That stuff here at Home Depot is $120 a roll for 48"X50'... Far cry from the $19 you paid lol.
I think you are talking about ice guard that weighs so much. This stuff I am using weights just over 1 pound for the whole roll. It is foil and bubble wrap.

Here is the spec sheet. It weights less than one ounce per SQ foot

http://www.reflectixinc.com/images/u...ec%20sheet.pdf
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

i know what you're using is light... I was talking about dynamat and the like being heavy, not the reflectix stuff.

But even the reflectix here at Home-depot in Toronto is $130 for a roll...*sigh*
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
i know what you're using is light... I was talking about dynamat and the like being heavy, not the reflectix stuff.

But even the reflectix here at Home-depot in Toronto is $130 for a roll...*sigh*

$130!!!!!! Holy *****