SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
captainsolo
captainsolo is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Dreaded Dash Rattle Possibly Solved

I believe I've found a simple quick fix for the dash rattle that has been plaguing many Astra owners like myself. For my rattle I found when I press in the gauge area between the top ring of the tachometer and the plastic housing(Top Piece) on top the rattle stops (this is the same spot that someone else posted about and used a gum wrapper to stop the rattle).

What I did was to cut a 1" long piece of this 1/8" sticky rubber strip, that the dealer had given me when I took it in to have them look at another rattle (I'm sure any small rubber piece will work), and using a plastic knife push it into the crack where the gauge cluster and gauge housing meet above the tachometer and speedometer. First push it in to the point where you can see it and it is holding the gauge cluster and top piece apart, then push it back further and it will be stopped by the lip further back on the gauge cluster. Then the pieces will meet up again with no gap and the rubber strip will serve as a cushion between the backside of the top piece housing and the gauge cluster lip.

For the last 3 weeks not one squeak from it, and no need to tear the whole car apart fixing it! Let me know if it works for any of you or you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astra Dash Rattle Location.jpg (131.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg P2270064.jpg (125.0 KB, 68 views)
captainsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Dreaded Dash Rattle Possibly Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I believe I've found a simple quick fix for the dash rattle that has been plaguing many Astra owners like myself. For my rattle I found when I press in the gauge area between the top ring of the tachometer and the plastic housing(Top Piece) on top the rattle stops (this is the same spot that someone else posted about and used a gum wrapper to stop the rattle).

What I did was to cut a 1" long piece of this 1/8" sticky rubber strip, that the dealer had given me when I took it in to have them look at another rattle (I'm sure any small rubber piece will work), and using a plastic knife push it into the crack where the gauge cluster and gauge housing meet above the tachometer and speedometer. First push it in to the point where you can see it and it is holding the gauge cluster and top piece apart, then push it back further and it will be stopped by the lip further back on the gauge cluster. Then the pieces will meet up again with no gap and the rubber strip will serve as a cushion between the backside of the top piece housing and the gauge cluster lip.

For the last 3 weeks not one squeak from it, and no need to tear the whole car apart fixing it! Let me know if it works for any of you or you have any questions.
Glad your rattle is gone The easy sollution is to jam something there like you did with the rubber strip, or take off the cluster even and put some rubber underneath to hide it so its not showing like in your pic, but the dealership will fix this under your warranty and takes no effort to fix, so if your going to remove it, its just as well they do it for you. Save yourself the time and hassle, and thats the point of the warranty anyways. For me I preferred to just get them to reseat it while I was there for something else anyways, which was nothing out of my time or pocket, and theres nothing visible from the cluster. I just used paper in the meantime to keep it quiet until I brought it in.
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
silver star
silver star is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

havent got a rattle yet ,but Ido hve the wind whistle in the drivers window at 80k and up,the dealer will be lookin at this 4 sure.theres a post on here linking to a remedy from russia lol,this and the rattle seem to be a common problem.
silver star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver star View Post
havent got a rattle yet ,but Ido hve the wind whistle in the drivers window at 80k and up,the dealer will be lookin at this 4 sure.theres a post on here linking to a remedy from russia lol,this and the rattle seem to be a common problem.
If the dealer does something for your wind noise, let me know. I may be persuaded to bring mine in, especially if someone has already had a fix by the dealer done for it under warranty by the time I bring mine in.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
captainsolo

2008 Astra XR

I actually just put another rubber piece in there for the picture since I did the fix myself then waited to see if the rattle stayed away before I posted anything. When I really fixed it the piece is totally hidden.

I agree with you about the warranty, i would rather have had the dealer fix it but I feel bad bringing it back to them as I already brought it in twice for the dash rattle (which they"could never reproduce") and other rattles. I'm actually bringing it back monday as I have 2 other rattles that need fixing (I blame stiff suspension + Michigan roads). One is in the glovebox area and the other is the trim piece around the driver side door lock tab. I really like the car just not the rattles which are driving me nuts!

Ill see if I get that wind noise, does it sound like an air leak?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
silver star
silver star is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

yes definate air leak comin from the top left corner of the drivers window.ya cant miss it it's right at ear level,only at hwy speeds.
silver star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Thank You captainsolo! I too am not too keen on letting them tear my dash apart as our techs here have never done it before. I was thinking of doing the same fix as you did, glad to see you were able to get it so it is not obvious looking.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver star View Post
yes definate air leak comin from the top left corner of the drivers window.ya cant miss it it's right at ear level,only at hwy speeds.
Aparantly the rubber there in the corner is slightly down from the doorframe. I havent looked at it on mine yet to see, might do it now when I go out to the car. One guy on another forum took the rubber seal off, stretched it then put it back on and it reduced the wind noise. The seal isnt snug enough to the door or something.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Just looked at mine and the rubber seems fine, but the way the rubber is channeled, probably to let water run off, could be allowing the wind in there and making the noise.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I have the same wind noise on my XE but it is not much louder than the wind noise from my ION mirrors. I thought of taking a credit card and seeing if I could seat the rubber a little better. Oh well, thats what playing Led Zeppelin really loud is for! LOL
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
captainsolo

2008 Astra XR

No problem MARX, glad I could help someone out! I was listening and I don't have any wind noise from the drivers side that's out of the ordinary (yet).

I do still have a rattle there from the driver door lock tab and I'm taking it to the dealer Monday to have them look at that and a glovebox rattle. They probably will end up having to take my dash out anyway though since it sounds like its something loose right under the top of the dash on the passenger side.

I still think its a well made car, I just don't think any car is made to handle these terrible Michigan Roads, everyday I have to pay as much attention to dodging potholes as anything else.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Blastra
Blastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

well,, my dash doesnt rattle and i dont hear anything from the drivers window, but.. when i get up over 60mph i hear a kind of high pitched whooshing sound from under the hood?,,and not always either, just in certain wind conditions,,anyone else?,,i hope its not coming from my aftermarket grill cause it looks too good to go back
Blastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
captainsolo

2008 Astra XR

No rattles or noise? Lucky I can't say I've heard any whooshing sound. Where did you get your grille from?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #14
Blastra
Blastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
No rattles or noise? Lucky I can't say I've heard any whooshing sound. Where did you get your grille from?
it was hanging on the wall in the dealership as i was writing up the deal,,i comented that it would look good on the astra and the salesman said thats what its for,,so i had it installed before i picked it up
Blastra is offline   Reply With Quote