SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
KellyCat54
KellyCat54 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default A Not-so-secret Admirer

Yesterday evening, Pat and I went to the supermarket, and as we were walking out of the store afterward, we saw a woman looking at the Outlook.

Her Camry was in the parking space next to us, and we started talking with her about our XR. She sounded genuinely interested in knowing more about it, so we gave her a quick rundown on the features, etc., while casually popping the liftgate with the remote to load the groceries. Of course, we mentioned Consumer Reports (she said her husband is an avid reader of CR), and told her how much we like both the car and the buying process.

I'm no salesman, and am always concerned about talking too much in a situation like that, so after a few minutes, I gave her one of Roland's cards and wished her luck.

Has anybody else been in that situation yet, telling someone they just met about their Outlook?
To love what you do and feel that it matters: what could be more fun?
KellyCat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Default Re: A Not-so-secret Admirer

I have. Our neighbors all came over when we drove the car in (not organized, purely spontaneous) and they all wanted the full rundown. They then asked if I was ok with them getting the exact same car because they liked it so much.

That's always a fun thing to do. Since there are relatively few Outlooks on the road right now, this will be the case for many for a time. I know with my other car, a MINI Cooper S, I've had it for 3 years and I'm still giving tours on a regular basis, probably because there simply aren't many in my area. It's a fun thing to be able to do regardless of the car, but especially so when you are so pleased with your purchase.
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCat54 View Post
Yesterday evening, Pat and I went to the supermarket, and as we were walking out of the store afterward, we saw a woman looking at the Outlook. ...
Has anybody else been in that situation yet, telling someone they just met about their Outlook?
Your story reminds me of our own experience...

We finished dinner at an out-of-town restaurant one evening, and I stopped to pay the bill while my wife and her mom went out to the car. When I came out, my wife was giving a middle-aged couple the full tour of our new Outlook, showing them all the bells and whistles. I was surprised she knew so much about it and was so animated about it, since I'm the one who normally drives it in-town (she'd only driven it once herself, on that trip). I was also glad to know she LIKED it so much, since I'd pretty much picked it out (except for the colors) without her even riding in or test-driving one.

The Outlook really IS a nice car! I hope the Chevy version also proves to be a big hit!
2007 Outlook XR FWD
Ocean Mist / Grey Int
Enhanced Convenience Pkg / HID

Over 5,000 miles already! Awesome ride. Love it!

Gorgeous! Gutsy! Glorious!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
gbshuler
gbshuler is on a distinguished road

Did that upset you when you "caught" them in the act of looking at your car?
(Is it "rude" to go look at someone else's car?)

The reason I ask is that I am in love with the Lambdas (Outlook/Acadia/Enclave). I want to buy one real bad, but I can't get my wife excited about it (quality! Must buy Honda/Toyota/Nissan!).

We were on vacation last month in Missouri and at the resort we saw a beautiful red Acadia parked on the other side of the lot. My wife refused to walk over and look at it. "That would be rude!". She said. "I have no business looking in their windows at their stuff".

Ten days later she grudgingly agreed to go to a GMC/Buick dealership. That was another disaster (salesmen yelled at each other fighting over us, car ran out of gas after 3 minutes, salesman knew zip about the car.. all of which reinforced her feelings about American car dealers). The Saturn dealer was the next stop, but she had had enough.
gbshuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Ten days later she grudgingly agreed to go to a GMC/Buick dealership. That was another disaster (salesmen yelled at each other fighting over us, car ran out of gas after 3 minutes, salesman knew zip about the car.. all of which reinforced her feelings about American car dealers). The Saturn dealer was the next stop, but she had had enough.[/QUOTE]

You stopped too soon - my brother works for GM. He told me yesterday that Saturn sales are up 87%! The attentive sales people, and very talented service department make our visits, and the visits of LOTS more people, a pleasure. Butter her up, and take her to Saturn - she will love the people and the products.
Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
KellyCat54

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbshuler View Post
Did that upset you when you "caught" them in the act of looking at your car?
(Is it "rude" to go look at someone else's car?)

Ten days later she grudgingly agreed to go to a GMC/Buick dealership. That was another disaster (salesmen yelled at each other fighting over us, car ran out of gas after 3 minutes, salesman knew zip about the car.. all of which reinforced her feelings about American car dealers). The Saturn dealer was the next stop, but she had had enough.

While I can understand what your wife was thinking, it doesn't bother me when someone looks over a car I'm driving. Since there aren't many Lambdas on the road where we live, and perhaps people have seen something lately about the good CR rating of the Outlook, I'm even kind of expecting it. (Hey, I'm always happy to talk about my new car!)

As for the GMC/Buick dealership problem, I can see how that might work out for you. The stark contrast between the no-pressure, high-service Saturn treatment and the "typical" car salesman behavior you two endured just might help win her over to your point of view.

Anyway, I hope you wind up with an Outlook soon!
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Eric
Eric is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR

I have a reputation in my family as the Saturn freak - my Outlook is the 4th Saturn I've owned. I mustn't be a very good salesman because I don't think I could get one person to buy a Saturn in all the years I've owned one.

Recently my sister and her husband visited from out of state, and I was more than happy to cart them around in the Outlook. The whole time she was saying "Wow, this is really nice!" I also let both of them drive it, too. By the end of their stay my sister admitted that she would consider an Outlook next time they were looking for a new car (they have had a Trailblazer, and currently have a Highlander). While not a definite sale, it's the closest I've gotten to one!

I haven't seen very many Outlooks around, and the Acadias have been even more scarce - although we went strawberry picking the other day, and of the six cars parked at the farm, we parked next to another dark blue Outlook... I was also sitting at a light a couple weeks ago when a charcoal Outlook drove by - I think they threw us a wave (it made me laugh - "did they just wave to us? HA!").
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Ruger01
Ruger01 is on a distinguished road

While on vacation, we had several people admirer and ask about our Outlook. The wife and I were more than willing to show off her new ride.
2007 Saturn Outlook XR
2004 Ford F350 Lariat CC LWB FX4 4X4
1999 Honda GoldWing SE
Ruger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Phil in NY
Phil in NY is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I also had a similar experience. I parked my Outlook 15 feet (legally!) from a fire hydrant in NYC and when I returned, I observed an FDNY fire truck parked adjacent to it with several of NY's Bravest peering inside. I asked them if I was too close to the fire hydrant in case they wanted me to move it out of their way. They told me they were simply curious about the Outlook, so I unlocked it and let them climb in for a real experience ! Spent about 15 minutes giving them an overview of the car !
Phil in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Been stopped at least ten times to enquire about the OUTLOOK!!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
SV Bluestone
SV Bluestone is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Both my wife and I feel as though we should be getting a kick-down from our local dealership...between our white-diamond XR and fantastic bluestone Sky RL, we seem to never have a moment in parking lots where we haven't been answering tons of questions and/or handing out our sales guy's business cards!

I've been thinking about adding an after-market tip jar!
SV Bluestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
KellyCat54

2007 Outlook XR

Two more true little stories:

I'm sitting at a red light, and from the street to my left, a car makes a right turn. As it rolls by me, the driver points excitedly at the Outlook, probably telling his companion something like, "There's one right there!"

Last night, at Wegman's again, the first parking space I see is directly to the right of a Cocoa XE. The driver finishes loading groceries and he gets in the car, and the passenger gets her baby all hooked up in the child seat. I wait and smile. After everything's loaded and the XE's doors are closed, they start to back out. Then the passenger window slides down, and she smiles back and says, "Nice car."

Not sure whether she was commenting on our Cocoa XR or telling me what she thought of her XE, but either way, yes, it sure is a nice car...
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I purchased my Outlook about a month and a half ago and yes we are getting quite a few looks and people asking questions about the car. My salesperson gave me several of his cards and said to put my name on the back and if the person buys a car they will send me a "bird dog" fee of $25. I have not given one out yet since he told me about this but he seemed pretty serious about the dealership paying the fee. You might want to ask your salesperson.
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote