SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 02-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Default Tire rotation - lifting car on four jack stands?

Planning on doing a tire rotation this weekend. I have a hydraulic jack and 4 jack stands, but I wanted to get opinions on the safe and proper method to jacking up the Vue on four jack stands as I've only ever had to jack the car either on one wheel or the same axle.

How do you go about doing it? Do you set the jack stand under the side of the frame running across the length of the car or do you use the frame to jack and put the jack stand under the lift point or do you jack the vehicle using the lift point and put the jack stand under the frame?

Thanks
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Tire rotation - lifting car on four jack stands?

If your frame is relatively free of rust put the jack in the middle of the frame on one side, back about where the flange is behind the cat on the exhaust, and raise rear and front tires on just one side, at the same time. It helps to put a foot long 2x4 on the head of the jack, so you are not crushing your frame while lifting half the vehicle weight.

Then put the jack stands under the lifting points that would be used by a shop frame lift, and let the jack down onto the jack stands.

I would not lift all four wheels at the same time. Keeping two on the ground, with the brakes on, the vehicle in park or 1st gear on a manual, locks those two tires to the pavement and makes the vehicle secure. Even the best jack stands are not that secure, using four is sketchy.

Normally you rotate tires front to back, not side to side. That has been the standard for many years, so there is no need to put all four wheels in the air at the same time.

If you are working on something like brake lines or the exhaust, do the front or back separately.

Having a car fall off stands is a common cause of death. I dont know how many people get crushed every year, but its too many.

And this has to be said: NEVER use cinder blocks for jack stands, or blocks of wood. Cement is strong under compression and very weak under tension, and its very easy to collapse a cinder block with the weight of a vehicle on the wrong face of it. Likewise its very easy to split a wood block on the end grain. Just dont do it.

IF you ever do find yourself in a pinch and have to get all four wheels off the ground, you will find that once you have two wheels up on jackstands, when you put the jack on the other side of the vehicle and start lifting, it does not push straight up, the jack will also be pushing sideways on the two stands on the other side.

One other thing: if at all possible jack the car up on a concrete garage floor or driveway. Asphalt will give, the wheels on the jack will push in and hang up, and not want to roll as they need to. Also the jack stands will sink and cut into asphalt.

Last edited by KCW; 02-18-2019 at 02:11 PM.
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Well, if you place jack stands under the front, you only need to jack up one side of the rear to get both rear tires off the ground. If you're just doing a tire rotation and not getting under the car, that's all I would do. You can place a stand on the other rear side if it makes you feel better.

I just did a 4 wheel brake job and used a floor jack under the front rocker panels and placed stands under the long frame sections. Do not lift or place stands on the outriggers. For the left rear I used this style stand that can be placed at the same place as where you lift. By the time it was set, the right rear was off the ground and I moved the jack to the other side only as a backup to stabilize everything.

atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
craftsman70
craftsman70 will become famous soon enough

2000 SL1
1998 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
For the left rear I used this style stand that can be placed at the same place as where you lift. By the time it was set, the right rear was off the ground and I moved the jack to the other side only as a backup to stabilize everything.

What brand is that jack stand? I did a couple of searches and didn't see anything like it on Amazon.
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

https://safejacks.com/collections/co...ck-single-unit
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote