SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
bucky katt
bucky katt is on a distinguished road

Devil 1994 sw1 a/c not working, hasnt worked all year

i know that it's not the time of year that i should worry about the a/c but i have some time over the next few days to work on the car. the a/c compressor doesnt kick in when i hit the button on the climate control panel. in addition, the cooling fan, which should also kick on when the a/c is turned on doesnt, the cooling fan does turn on when the coolant gets hot enough so i know it isnt the ects. the compresssor DOES kick on when i run a jumper from the battery to the connector on the compressor. it does have plenty of r134 and the pressure checks out ok. any ideas?
bucky katt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 1994 sw1 a/c not working, hasnt worked all year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky katt View Post
in addition, the cooling fan, which should also kick on when the a/c is turned on doesnt, the cooling fan does turn on when the coolant gets hot enough
Could be your switch. Try jumping it to see if you can get it to work. I'd also check fuses (not sure if anything else is on the same fuse offhand)

Did the '94 use R134a? I always thought they were R12 because of the model year, but I have no experience with older S-series
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
bucky katt

like i said in the original post, i did jump it and it does kick in then. the very late production 94's had the r134, the other thing the late 94's had was that the iat sensor, which is in the box the filter is in (right on top of the throttle body) in the earlier 94 models, is at the end (an inch or 2 from the end) of the intake tube, right by the firewall.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you jumpered the compressor directly to 12v and had the compressor running, you didn't say whether or not that cooling occurred. You also stated that there's plenty of R134a and pressure. If so what was the pressure and at which service fitting? I presume there wasn't any cooling occurring and unless you're familiar with a/c system pressures, what you read isn't sufficient to operate the system; the low pressure switch most likely detected too low a pressure and simply disabled the compressor circuit from allowing the compressor to run. Refrigerant moves lubrication oil and loss of refrigerant also means loss of adequate lubrication. No refrigerant to circulate oil means no oil to the compressor; continuing to run a compressor with lost refrigerant will ruin the compressor from lack of oil lubrication. All you did was confirm that the compressor clutch coil works, that's all. Find the leak that caused the loss of refrigerant, repair/replace damaged parts, evacuate the system of all air and moisture, test for any further leaks and then refill with R134a and any make up oil.

Here's a primer on what to look for; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
bucky katt

it DID cool, the system was flushed 20 months ago when i did the new condensor. the pressure was read at the low pressure side. i wasnt familiar with cooling system pressures, thats why i have a factory provided service manual, and though i dont remember what the readings were supposed to be, i do remember that it was right in the mid range of what it should be. like i said in one of my other posts, ya'll are a bunch of major league ********s in here. instead of maybe giving information pertaining to the questions i had, you people proceeded to tell me what i should or shouldnt do, not how to do it. i cannot believe that ya'll have as many users as you do, the way you treat new folks here. fffuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkk YOU
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its too bad you feel this way.....................................
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I guess we shouldn't bother to tell her/him to check/replace her/his A/C relay. Or to temporarily jumper/bypass the high/low pressure sensor. Yeah, we're so useless; esp when one of the first responses comes from the site-wide-recognized HVAC expert.

Oh, yeah, and let's not bother to mention that since the OP waited until DECEMBER to diagnose her/his inop A/C, there's a distinct possibility that the ambient temperature, as reported by the IAT, is below 40F, and therefore the A/C is disabled. 'Course, having the factory service manuals, s/he obviously knows that, so we must be just a bunch of ECTS-holes for even mentioning it.

So yeah, let's not insult the OP's intelligence by even hinting at any of the above. Please disregard it all.

Last edited by madpogue; 12-08-2009 at 12:34 AM.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote