SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
sr20fd3st
sr20fd3st is on a distinguished road

Default P0141 Code Will Not Go Away!

Car is 99 SW2

Code is for heater circuit malfunction in the after-cat heated O2 sensor. It is the ONLY code.

I replaced the O2 sensor, and checked the EGR fuse. Fuse is fine. Code still came back on.

What other causes are there for this code? I need to pass an emissions check...2 weeks ago.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Oliver
sr20fd3st is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Re: P0141 Code Will Not Go Away!

This is an obvious question, so please don't get mad! But you replaced the post-cat O2 sensor under the car, not the exhaust manifold sensor under the hood, right? Is it possible the wire harness wasn't plugged back in tightly, or that one of the wires to the post-cat sensor (I think there are 3 or 4 wires) is damaged?

I once removed and reinstalled my rear (post-cat) O2 sensor (using the same old sensor) and it was not easy. I had trouble disconnecting the wiring harness, then I disconnected the downpipe and cat so I could set them on the garage floor without worrying about knocking my car off the jackstands. Slipped a 22mm combo wrench over the wiring tail and onto to O2 sensor. Then I put one foot on the cat and really had to pull hard to loosen the sensor. Removing the front O2 sensor was a lot easier, especially with the exhaust manifold warm.
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
sr20fd3st

I still need to check the wiring I guess. The Sensor is new. I have my own exhaust with a new O2 boss that easily locates the sensor for easy removal. Has a brand new Cat also. I know the sensor is good. Besides the sensor, or the wiring to the sensor, or the EGR fuse, what else could cause this code?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
sr20fd3st

Bump? I am desperate!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

In the socket that the rear O2 sensor plugs into check for the presence of 12vDC with the key on. The heater power is on the pink and dark green wire. The heater current is controlled by the PCM through the dark green wire. The pink wire is direct from teh UHJB and is the 12vDC + power source. There are 2 tan wires and a black/white wire located on teh rear left end of teh block above the starter and just below the intake manifold. Verify that both tan wires are connected. These are the PCM grounds for the O2 sensors.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
sr20fd3st

awesome, thanks! will check it out tomorrow when light comes back from over the horizon.

Should the voltage be there just when running or also at just Key On?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Key in the RUN position but engine off and you will have 12vDC on the Pink wire. Check Pink to Dk. Blue and Pink to the battery negative, do both checks. There is no easy way to test the PCM grounding circuit except to check for the Tan wires on the left rear corner of the block. You can see them from above after the air induction tube is off. If you have the 12vDC Pink to the battery but not when you check Pink to Dk. Blue it is a problem with the PCM grounding current control wiring.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
sr20fd3st

Awesome. The pin for the pink wire in harness connector was completely corroded (others were fine) It was just a green clump of crap in that pin. Took wires out, put new pin on pink wire, put back in connector, connected to new 02 sensor. No More Code. Drove the piss out of it, got Catalyst Ready to show on my scanner, passed E-Check. Hurray!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This is good!