SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Buck4U
Buck4U is on a distinguished road

Default '99 SC1 Shifter Linkage

Hey Guys,

Well, I was pulling away from a traffic light yesterday, and went to grab second. Instead of going into gear, I felt a small amount of resistance, then I think I heard something metallic fall out from under my car onto the road. After that, second was nowhere to be found. Same with fourth, and reverse. It didn't make any extremely terrible noises, or any of that stuff, but second, fourth, and reverse were gone. I can move the stick between them easily, skipping the in-between gears, and the car behaves like its in neutral ('cause it is...). I turned the car off to see if it was a syncro maybe, but the problem remained.

So, I busted out the Chiltons manual, and decided to take a look at the shifter and selector cables. I took out the center console, removed the shift assembly, disconnected the cables, and removed the detent holder. Everything looked alright, so I bolted it back together and jacked the car up.

I found where the selector and shifter cable go into the transmission, and discovered that one of the cables was out of its bracket/holder. With no resistance to hold the cable, I figure this is reason I can't get into those other gears.

My problem is that I can't see an easy way to get the metal housing of the cable back into its bracket. I'd probably just send it to the dealership, but its an hour away, and I don't have a whole lot of spare time. If any of you guys know how I could fix this in an afternoon or less, I would be ridiculously grateful. I've never had to work on this car, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it. I do see where the cable housing needs to be though, just don't see how to easily get it there (It seems like the sort of thing that should never come out).

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

Last edited by Buck4U; 03-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Buck4U is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: '99 SC1 Shifter Linkage

Check the How To Library, there should be one on shifter cable replacement. I know I've seen pics somewhere here.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Each cable has two clips. A BIG clip holds the "housing" (non-moving part) of the cable to the tranny case, and a little clip holds the end of the "core" (moving part) of the cable to a linkage going into the tranny. Sounds like one of the BIG clips came off. In both cases, they're WAAAAAY easier to R&I from above; jacking the car will just make it more difficult. From above, you just need to remove the air snorkle; about the only tool you MIGHT need is a pair of pliers.

You might even try to return to the scene of the crime and find the clip. Got a metal detector?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck4U View Post
Hey Guys,

Well, I was pulling away from a traffic light yesterday, and went to grab second. Instead of going into gear, I felt a small amount of resistance, then I think I heard something metallic fall out from under my car onto the road. After that, second was nowhere to be found. Same with fourth, and reverse. It didn't make any extremely terrible noises, or any of that stuff, but second, fourth, and reverse were gone. I can move the stick between them easily, skipping the in-between gears, and the car behaves like its in neutral ('cause it is...). I turned the car off to see if it was a syncro maybe, but the problem remained.

So, I busted out the Chiltons manual, and decided to take a look at the shifter and selector cables. I took out the center console, removed the shift assembly, disconnected the cables, and removed the detent holder. Everything looked alright, so I bolted it back together and jacked the car up.

I found where the selector and shifter cable go into the transmission, and discovered that one of the cables was out of its bracket/holder. With no resistance to hold the cable, I figure this is reason I can't get into those other gears.

My problem is that I can't see an easy way to get the metal housing of the cable back into its bracket. I'd probably just send it to the dealership, but its an hour away, and I don't have a whole lot of spare time. If any of you guys know how I could fix this in an afternoon or less, I would be ridiculously grateful. I've never had to work on this car, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it. I do see where the cable housing needs to be though, just don't see how to easily get it there (It seems like the sort of thing that should never come out).

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks Guys,

Jeff
It sounds like you lost the retainer clip. Someone will probably come along and post one of their well done photos to illustrate it.
97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Buck4U
Buck4U is on a distinguished road

Good deal. Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll go back and look around for it. I couldn't get down there from up top the first, but I'll try to remove the snorkel. Thanks MadPogue. I didn't even think of that. I did see the clips holding the cable ends going into the tranny though. Sems pretty straight forward; I'll give it a try.

Thanks a bunch, guys,

Jeff
Buck4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
hammer489
hammer489 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I removed the battery to gain more access to the area where the clip/cables are. You might get lucky and find it laying on the cradle or on the road (this happened to me twice). If not, a new clip is $5 at the dealer. I wire tied mine on after some minor modification, and bought another, along with a cheap 8mm wrench to remove the battery if it happened again.
hammer489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The clip isn't gonna be on the cradle, as the OP heard it hit the ground ("metallic sound"). But your point about the wire-tie is well-taken. Even to limp around before getting a new clip, s/he might be able to use a twist-tie or a zip-tie to secure that cable housing. I've lost one big (housing) clip and one small (core end) clip over the years. Recovered the big clip when it happened (I heard that same metallic sound) and was on my way. When I lost the small one, it was in the middle of one of the city's busiest intersections, and I never saw it again. I put the cable end back on the "ball" on the linkage, put a zip-tie over it, and it held until I got to the dealer.

I never had to remove the battery to reach this area; removing the air snorkle gave me plenty of room.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote