SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
derf
derf is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel Line Leak, 95SC2 -- need parts / repair advice

I have a 95 SC2 with 236k. I searched the forum and read many posts on S car fuel line issues, but I could not find the info I am requesting assistance with.

The vehicle has been out of use (officially) for about 2 years but I keep a little gas with Sta-bil in it and run it about once every 1-3 months to keep it alive.

Recently ran it out of gas for the first time since it was purchased new. No idea how it could have used so much fuel.....turns out.......

There is a healthy fuel leak just forward of the driver's side rear wheel from what I am guessing is either a connection between two of the sections of nylon fuel line (o-ring?) or an actual hole.

I can't get the car up in the air yet to fully assess.

I was hoping someone w a FSM or other knowledge source could give me the OEM parts numbers for the fuel lines for the entire vehicle along with the specs/dimensions (i.d., o.d.) of the line as well as the proper barbed fitting used when putting in replacement sections of line.

I know I cannot buy any of this OEM, nor could I 10 years ago. I figure I can use the part number for cross-reference purposes. The pats have been discontinued for so long that they neither have a diagram nor the parts listed.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: Fuel Line Leak, 95SC2 -- need parts / repair advice

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=405461&ukey_make=1 031&ukey_model=20342&modelYear=1994&ukey_category= 19400&ukey_driveLine=11468&ukey_trimLevel=25363

This is for a 1994 sc2 it is most likely the same as a 1995.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 71,400 21 yrs. and Legal!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Fuel Line Leak, 95SC2 -- need parts / repair advice

It's probably 3/8" fuel line, get the cheap nylon stuff that's like $0.20/ft and barbed fittings from the hardware store. Smooth ID clamps are also needed (so the worm gear types don't cut the line), but if the line doesn't have fuel nor fuel vapors in it you can heat it on the fittings (it shrinks...) and it won't go anywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure it is 5/16" (8mm ?) OD.

With barbed fittings I don't think clamps are needed at all, but heat will be needed to stuff the fitting into the tubing. Boiling water is a safe way to heat, but if your line is broken at the upper-left end of the tank, like mine was, only hot air from a heat gun is going to get in there...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=405461&ukey_make=1 031&ukey_model=20342&modelYear=1994&ukey_category= 19400&ukey_driveLine=11468&ukey_trimLevel=25363

This is for a 1994 sc2 it is most likely the same as a 1995.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 71,400 21 yrs. and Legal!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
1991-1996 SC2 fuel lines should all interchange, as there was no changes made to the routing of the fuel lines, or the wheelbase. Great find on this, as a JY is the only other place to get replacement lines.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
derf
derf is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the detective work!

Still some confusion, though. Although I agree with the logic that maybe 91-96 and definitely 93-96 should have the same lines given the 1st Gen body, the fuel line part number for a 94 SC2

21006683 PIPE. Fuel Line.

Fits only 93 and 94 SC2s and 91 92.SCs before there were 1s and 2s.

While I don't put it past GM to assign 11 different part numbers to the same physical entity, I find it really strange that the rear portion.of the fuel system was different between the 1s and 2s---although as I type this I just remembered that was back when the SOHCs we're TBI, so things like the return line had to connect differently.

Further complicating things is the fact that no fuel line is even listed for the 95 SC2---at least not for 95. I will.look forward and see if I can find a compatible part number.

The clamps.that hold the line in are 3/8" clamps, so that's the OD. But I do not know.the ID which I need the choose the correct size barbed connectors. I need the ID so I can order generic.nylon line as you suggested. The NAPA store near me is pretty good. I just.like to nail down 95% of.the critical details before I go order something.

Is the fuel line repair kit out there (think it's NAPA) of any use, or only if I have to replace or attach connector fittings?

If I am remarkably fortunate and it ends up only being an o ring seal at a connection, from where do I source a replacement made of the proper material?

Thanks again.

If someone can help me.nail.down the ID that would be great. I seem to remember that.it MAY be in one of OldNuc's posts.

Not sure when this will get fixed but I will be back w an update or.two.along.the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

I used a double-ended barb and it works OK. It wasn't my first choice, but there wasn't enough room/access to do anything else without dropping the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
1993 is on a distinguished road

At work we see quite a few issues come in of squirrels chewing holes through nylon fuel lines. Its happened twice to my 1992 sc and again on my 1997. The first 2 i used the barbed fittings that you heat the nylon and shove the fitting in the hose. The third time i went to the junkyard and got another complete hose. Either way works fine. oreillys sell the repair kit that consist of a piece of nylon hose and the barbed fitting. I can not remember the size of the fuel line. I didnt need the piece of line that comes with it being the chewed hose just had a hole in it, i just cut the line in half where the hole was and used the barbed fitting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
At work we see quite a few issues come in of squirrels chewing holes through nylon fuel lines. Its happened twice to my 1992 sc and again on my 1997. The first 2 i used the barbed fittings that you heat the nylon and shove the fitting in the hose. The third time i went to the junkyard and got another complete hose. Either way works fine. oreillys sell the repair kit that consist of a piece of nylon hose and the barbed fitting. I can not remember the size of the fuel line. I didnt need the piece of line that comes with it being the chewed hose just had a hole in it, i just cut the line in half where the hole was and used the barbed fitting.
Do Squirrels like the taste of nylon? Those little *******s! Put Tabasco sauce on the lines, that'll teach them a lesson.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
billr
Master Member

Does anybody here have experience with products like this?

https://mouseblocker.com/product/ant...t-repair-tape/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Does anybody here have experience with products like this?

https://mouseblocker.com/product/ant...t-repair-tape/
That's awesome! I'd never heard of that product. A nice alternative to the traditional method.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote