SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 AM   #1
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Wrekt

Sadly, my 06 QC was smacked by a garbage truck in a hit and run today.

I had a dashcam, which caught everything. I've lawyered up for the lost wages and injury part (I do delivery for a living, so every day I'm without a car, I'm losing $150-300/day - I'm also sore as hell and can barely walk right now). The company that hit me is claiming I'm the one that hit and run (I got hit, and was stuck in the road for over an hour until the tow truck I called showed up), and they're trying to threaten legal action, saying they have 5 cameras on every truck. Good luck claiming I left, when my camera clearly shows a hit and run. I keep referring all of their calls to my lawyer, they keep calling anyway.

Since I carry full coverage, and I've had to do the whole song and dance with "other party says no, you hit us" before, I just let my insurance handle it. Submitted the claim at 4am, got a call at 7am, car was declared a total loss at 11am, I bought it back before noon. I won't have a check for a few days, but I'll have a rental around noon (Enterprise is bringing it out to me). Insurance has already sided with me based on the dashcam footage.

The damage is 95% cosmetic, except the tire LF tire got shredded and the wheel is damaged. There's probably a bent LCA or tie rod too. But the buyback was incredibly cheap, and they gave me a lot more than I expected. So the Ionry will rise from the ashes... hopefully in a few days at best. I got my "boss" (I'm 1099, so normally I don't have a boss) to remove my shifts for a few days with no penalty to me (normally dropping excessive shifts means losing access to early scheduling for a month).

RISE FROM THE ASHES!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Wrekt

Sorry to hear it but any pics of how bad it turned out?

2004 Saturn Ion 2 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
awfulbeans

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I can see why you want to repair this car. Looks like you have taken very good care of this vehicle. I too have risen a Saturn from the dead that the insurance company wanted to total.

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt.

Well done! Keep us posted on your progress.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
awfulbeans

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have whiplash, but since it was a hit and run, and a commercial vehicle at that, I already hired a lawyer. I had a dashcam running that caught the whole thing. My claims adjuster asked me how comfortable I am working on cars - I told him very, detailed some of the stuff I've done... he told me I'd be stupid not to buy it back, and mentioned since I'll be buying it back, it should keep a clean title. Whenever I do sell it, obviously I'll disclose the damage, but I always planned to drive it to 250k+ anyway.

The car is in pretty good shape, and well optioned - fog lights, sunroof, all the normal level 3 stuff on top of that, but also has a manual transmission (I've never seen another 3 with a manual). It's also the most reliable car I've owned (... I've owned 7 Hondas, 1 Nissan, and a Ford), and I've owned this longer than any other car. I've put more miles on this car (by nearly double) than any other car I've owned too. So yeah, it's in good shape aside from the seized ac compressor and worn out shocks, and I'm also pretty attached to it.

I already got a new tire put on the same wheel. Tire shop said the wheel wasn't bent (thank ******* for alloy wheels, they don't bend easily). Threw what's left of the headlight back in for now and ziptied the bumper up, so my apartment complex should hopefully not tow it. My lease doesn't say anything about repairing vehicles (first place I've lived at that didn't prohibit it in the lease), only says the car has to be "operable" (defined as current tags, all wheels on it, no flat tires, isn't obviously illegal or inoperable, can't be on jack stands). I still plan to do all repair after the office is closed, of course, but I'm at the back end of the property anyway.

Going to Pick n Pull to get a headlight, headlight bucket, corner light, pigtail for the headlight, and a mirror tomorrow. I'll just duct tape + zip tie the rest together until the insurance check comes in and/or I find a silver bumper w/fog cutout and silver fender. Insurance is paying for a rental until Monday (and for some reason Enterprise gave me a friggin truck instead of the compact car I asked for, but that'll be handy to haul parts back.. the 15-18 mpg bit I'm not so happy about, though, since I drive 150+ miles a day).

I haven't taken it on the road since the new tire, so I don't know if there's suspension damage (I live in cop central, so there's no way I'm driving it with the LF lights completely nonfunctional). The LF frame horn took a hit, but at the very end of it - only effect appears to be sheet metal hitting the washer fluid fill tube. So I'll just beat that back out with a hammer to keep it from eating through the tube, and hit the metal with some black paint to keep it from rusting. The radiator support seems to be straight, everything under the hood lines up at first glance, hood lines up fine. There's a chance I'll have to get a little creative with the last mounting hole on the replacement fender; since the existing fender is in several pieces, I can't really tell if that last bit is moved enough to affect mounting.

Last edited by awfulbeans; 04-05-2018 at 11:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One reason apartment complexes ban car repairs, if you look at it from a business point of view running a large complex with parking lots for tenants - far too many low lifes make 'ghetto' repairs, leave garbage lying in place, care less about oil/solvent damage to paved parking spaces, stains on concrete, etc.. The low lifes not picking up after themselves to leave a spot clean enough for anyone to park in the same spot used for repairs forces ghetto repair bans. When others see this, they're in the mistaken belief that they can perform repairs and give the impression that the complex doesn't care. There's an AutoZone in my neighborhood with occasional free lance mechanics parked around the back parking lot. They make parking spaces dirty for customers wanting space to park so AutoZone chases these free lancers away. The garbage cans are full of parts from these repairs. Be mindful of when and how you make repairs to stay in the good graces of the complex and try picking small repairs that won't take too much time for less exposure against complaints.

Your dashcam is worth its weight in gold with your insurance company accepting it as proof of who hit who. You may have to take a long look to see if frame or chassis damage occurred. Hopefully, damage is limited to cosmetics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulbeans View Post
My claims adjuster asked me how comfortable I am working on cars - I told him very, detailed some of the stuff I've done... he told me I'd be stupid not to buy it back, and mentioned since I'll be buying it back, it should keep a clean title. Whenever I do sell it, obviously I'll disclose the damage, but I always planned to drive it to 250k+ anyway..
^^^ I'm curious about your insurance adjuster's statement. It sounds like they did total the vehicle since you mentioned you were able to buy it back from them at a really good price?

If that is the case, it will have a salvage title but that can be dealt with.

Please correct me if this is not correct.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #8
awfulbeans

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

So to follow up on this...

The car wound up having the apron shifted over pretty far - a lot more than the insurance adjuster thought. The LF suspension was also tweaked pretty badly. Also, after letting it sit a week, I discovered it took up smoking - pretty sure the head gasket was starting to let go. When I last changed the spark plugs (a couple of months ago), 2 of them had a ton of rust on them, and I was having to add coolant every few months. I was chalking it up to an undiscovered leak, suspecting a possible head gasket issue due to the rust... but when I started it after it sat for a week, it ran bad enough that the check engine light started flashing right away, and it farted out a pretty huge cloud of white smoke for several minutes (also cranked really unevenly and struggled to start... took about 20 seconds of cranking to get it to finally fire).

I wound up replacing it with a model 2 QC. Same year, a lot less miles, but I had put a ton of new parts into the wrecked one recently, all of it common stuff that fails, so it made sense to get a car that I could swap parts over on. I swapped over a few 3-specific parts - namely, the auto dimming mirror w/compass + outside temp (also wired up the outside temp sensor - wiring was already there under the hood) and front seats. I also stripped a lot of parts from the wrecked one to fix broken crap on the replacement (HVAC blower, door switches, power lock switches, sunroof switch, etc - lots of little crap). The replacement has been a hell of a basketcase, but it's all been stuff I've been able to fix myself so far. And the replacement has working ac!

The replacement has been a bit of a basketcase - I'm still trying to track down a roof leak (already tried taping up the sunroof, still had water pour in, so I suspect the windshield replacement job wasn't done right), still needs a wheel bearing, and it needs brakes all the way around. Had to swap the HVAC blower; the evaporator drain was clogged, so it was draining through the motor, and the motor had seized (had to drill into the evaporator core box and unclog the drain... ugh). Still, at least I'm in familiar territory, and the 2 is very well optioned for a 2.

It's at the south Dallas Pick n Pull now, if anyone is in Dallas and needs parts. Just know it probably has a blown head gasket, and it's starting to burn oil (it has brand new AC Delco plugs in it, probably the only engine parts worth grabbing from it), and the clutch is probably very close to done (original @ 202k).

fdryer, I've always been very respectful when doing car work in an apartment parking lot, but I definitely understand why they get pissy. If it's going to involve fluids, I go to a friend's place. If it's something like a brake job, I do it here, I just do it after business hours (but before most people go to bed - bedroom windows face the parking lot, and I know I get pissy when people wake me up). I'm very much in the minority when it comes to ghetto car repairs, though. I'm moving in a couple of months, and the new apartment has a (large for a 1 car) detached garage (instead of a half-dirt/half-pothole parking lot), so I'll be able to do anything I want that doesn't involve air tools there. From what I could tell walking around the garage building, everything is on 1 or 2 breakers (no subpanel, just conduit running from the house panel on the apartment building), so a compressor would likely trip breakers in a hurry (even though they do provide a wall outlet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
^^^ I'm curious about your insurance adjuster's statement. It sounds like they did total the vehicle since you mentioned you were able to buy it back from them at a really good price?

If that is the case, it will have a salvage title but that can be dealt with.

Please correct me if this is not correct.
So he told me it would not get a salvage title. I had an electronic title (I still owed a small amount on it, so the finance company was still the lienholder). The finance company had the state mail me a paper title a few weeks ago with them removed as lienholder, and it didn't reflect any salvage status. However, running the VIN through a free VIN check shows it was declared salvage the day I made the claim.

I'm not sure why the paper title - which was printed several weeks after it was written off - didn't reflect salvage status. In TX, salvage titles are visibly different. I'm not going to spend the money on Autocheck or Carfax to figure out what happened there, but vinhistory.com reflects the salvage status. Somehow it doesn't reflect the junk status yet, but that'll probably change at some point. Pick n Pull picked it up on the 17th, and according to row52, it hit the yard on the 21st.

Last edited by awfulbeans; 05-25-2018 at 05:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!