SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
nu2saturn
nu2saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Opinions WANTED!!!!

Ok so as you know i recently purchased a 2001 saturn SC2 and as soon as it comes back from the shop id like to do some stuff to it. Just not sure what yet, Ive looked at body kits and not to impressed. I found a ground effects kit on here someone has and im looking into that, but and other opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nu2saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nu2saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nu2saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Opinions WANTED!!!!

so what are you asking? What you should do to your car in general? What do you like? If you want to know opinions about the ground effects kit, post up a link to it...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Keep up the maintenence, check the oil, dont rice it out with a body kit.

Have fun with your car.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Keep up the maintenence, check the oil, dont rice it out with a body kit.

Have fun with your car.
What he said ^^^^

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Oooooo....I got opinions

First I'd make sure it is mechanically perfect engine-wise. Buy tools so you can do it yourself. Get a complete Factory Service Manual. With this site, there's no reason to buy a cheezy Haynes manual or Chitlins manual.

Second, get the suspension and alignment perfect. Get a strut tower brace. and maybe new struts.

Third, get a great sound system. Dynamat and all.

Fourth, get a stainless steel header.

Fifth, get some good fog/driving lights.

Remember to bank some $ to be ready for maintenance items and new plastic.

Keep the RPMs and throttle low until 3rd gear, preferably 4th...

Last edited by bumpdraft; 02-29-2008 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: 1st and 2nd gear are put-put gears

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
mac99sl2
Advanced Member
mac99sl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Keep the RPMs and throttle low until 3rd gear, preferably 4th...
Why do you say this?

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mac99sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mac99sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
hit_n_run
hit_n_run is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99sl2 View Post
Why do you say this?
I'd like to know this as well.

EDIT: Why do you have an 01 in the shop?

Last edited by hit_n_run; 02-29-2008 at 10:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hit_n_run's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hit_n_run reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hit_n_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

keep it stock and keep driving it for a long, long time.

i heard somewhere that the man who buys used cars his whole life rather than new ones will save about $250,000 over his lifetime.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
Khellendrose
Khellendrose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2saturn View Post
Ok so as you know i recently purchased a 2001 saturn SC2 and as soon as it comes back from the shop id like to do some stuff to it. Just not sure what yet, Ive looked at body kits and not to impressed. I found a ground effects kit on here someone has and im looking into that, but and other opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
For engine I would do the intake and also strut bar. For outside looks i would order up the SC wing that goes on top of the stock wing. You can find it on either e-bay or saturn motor sports. Also the trim kit is really nice to add, 1500 bucks is a bit high. But i just talked to a person who i wont say his name at saturn motor sports and found out he is willing to go as low as 700-800 dollars for the trim kit unpainted. I also own a 01 SC2 and i will be ordering up my trim kit with my rebate check . Add rims, and if you are thinking of going with the big brake upgrade you cant go with anything less the 17 inch rims. Tint the windows and change your dash to a reverse or normal indiglow dash. You can pick one of those up at proparts.com. Oh and header if you dont have that damn california emissions air pump that runs into the manifold. Hope this was of some help, and if you really want to spend money grap some lambo doors, those will help when poeple park to close and its hard to get in the car. Damn 2 door cars and our long doors!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Khellendrose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Khellendrose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Khellendrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
hit_n_run
hit_n_run is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khellendrose View Post
For engine I would do the intake and also strut bar. For outside looks i would order up the SC wing that goes on top of the stock wing. You can find it on either e-bay or saturn motor sports. Also the trim kit is really nice to add, 1500 bucks is a bit high. But i just talked to a person who i wont say his name at saturn motor sports and found out he is willing to go as low as 700-800 dollars for the trim kit unpainted. I also own a 01 SC2 and i will be ordering up my trim kit with my rebate check . Add rims, and if you are thinking of going with the big brake upgrade you cant go with anything less the 17 inch rims. Tint the windows and change your dash to a reverse or normal indiglow dash. You can pick one of those up at proparts.com. Oh and header if you dont have that damn california emissions air pump that runs into the manifold. Hope this was of some help, and if you really want to spend money grap some lambo doors, those will help when poeple park to close and its hard to get in the car. Damn 2 door cars and our long doors!
While all of that is in fact do-able, NONE of it is recommended. That's the way to rice out a Saturn and make a perfectly good SC2 look like crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hit_n_run's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hit_n_run reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hit_n_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Keviefriend
Keviefriend is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_n_run View Post
While all of that is in fact do-able, NONE of it is recommended. That's the way to rice out a Saturn and make a perfectly good SC2 look like crap.
Agreed! Have you no class?

98 SL2M red loaded+working sunroof 135K miles sold 2011
95 SL1M teal totalled November 08.
99 Yahama Razz scooter

Looking for another under $1k in or somewhat near Minneapolis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keviefriend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keviefriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99sl2 View Post
Why do you say this?
It’s just a matter of opinion….

If faster acceleration is what you’re after, in the time it takes to shift, I’d say skipping a gear will get you there faster. I’m talking about normal daily survival driving.

1st & 2nd are so low. Stomping on 1st only spins the tires (and maybe shears the diff roll pin?). If you rev 1st, you can skip 2nd and go directly to 3rd.
First gear is only there to get you rolling and save the clutch (not an Einsteinstatement, when you think about it).

2nd gear is for pulling into parking lots. If you stomp it down and rev out 2nd, you can pretty much skip 3rd and go directly to 4th.

High revs in low gears seems too close to free-revving to me.

Here’s a question…Look at the bottom of the picture.

There’s no pressure oil feed to any of the transmission. What are the spiral cuts in the differential shaft doing? Are they to feed oil to some bushings? If so, they need axle speed to develop pressure, don’t they? It seems keeping engine load light until the car’s moving faster would be easier on the transmission. Does anyone have an actual photograph of the spiral cuts on that part?

I might be waaaay off here...isn't this where the radial play in my driver's side tri-pot housing is coming from? (posted elsewhere)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
nu2saturn
nu2saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

unfortunatly....i bought the car last saturday ans was rear ended on monday.Dropped it off this morning at the body shop and thankfully all that it needs is a new bumper i would've been heart broken if it were worse. but i plan on taking excellent care of it i love it!! apprechiate all the imput from everyone. And any new ideas can either be posted here or just private message them to me....again thanks abunch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_n_run View Post
I'd like to know this as well.

EDIT: Why do you have an 01 in the shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nu2saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nu2saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nu2saturn is offline   Reply With Quote