SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR
Default Opinions wanted: Considering a Saturn Outlook

Hi forum

Owner of a Saturn Aura XR here (and loving it). My Subaru Tribeca is coming to the end of its warranty and I've decided to replace it with (possibly) a Saturn Outlook. So here are my questions:

Is the 08 Outlook a worthwhile venture?

Which model and packages represent the best value for money?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Opinions wanted: Considering a Saturn Outlook

i have an aura xr 07 also. it been a GREAT car. i bought an 08 outlook fwd xr last july. it been great also. neither car has ever been back for a problem. outlook drives and runs great. some dont like the way the 3.6 and 6 speed shifts but its the same in the aura also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I've got an 07 Outlook and love it. The 08 is not much different except for a few minor adjustments. Love the transmission with no problems, it has adjusted to my driving. It is very easy to transfer to my wifes 08 XR Aura, tranny feels the same.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
KellyCat54
KellyCat54 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

We got our 2007 XE FWD about six months ago, and we're very satisfied with it. We added the Convenience Package and Preferred Package to the base model, and we felt like it was fully loaded with everything we really wanted. (I see at the Saturn site that options like the memory seat, folding mirrors and a few other things that came with the 2007 XE are now only available in the 2008 XR Enhanced Convenience Package.)

Things we'd change are very few. My wife's not crazy about the transmission, but that's probably because it's "learned" my driving style and not hers. The worst I can say about it is that the temperature reading can't be trusted.

Otherwise, wow! Rides smooth, plenty of power, and all the room and comfort you'd want on the inside. No regrets at all choosing the Outlook.

Options we've never had before:
* OnStar. We've used the directions a couple of times, which came in handy. And a car with its own phone number? Like, far out, man...
* Rear parking assist sensors. Nice to have, and useful in crowded parking lots, too.
* Tire pressure monitors. Convenient, and you don't get your hands dirty checking.
* The message screen. Besides the information about the car, occasionally we'll get in and there'll be a message like "Possible icy conditions. Drive carefully." A long time ago I read that you should never fall in love with a car because it won't love you back. But a message like that is close enough...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

To love what you do and feel that it matters: what could be more fun?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellyCat54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellyCat54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KellyCat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Interesting advice, thank you. Has anyone evaluated a Buick Enclave vs. the Outlook?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

same car just a matter of which style you like

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

I had an Outlook as a loaner for the day this week. The car is a pleasure to drive and doesn't handle like a vehicle of that size. I found the XE (base model) cheaped out on a few things that they could improve for very minimal cost. For one, the steering wheel feels and looks cheap. If you do get an Outlook pony up for the leather wrapped steering wheel. Also, excluding the radio controls was another GM faux pas. In a vehicle of this caliber, why cost cut on a couple steering wheel control buttons? Its gives the driver the impression they are being punished for not spending the additional 2000 someodd dollars for the package that would include such amenities.

The only real downside was gas mileage. It was a pitiful 13 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. I was honestly expecting something closer to 20 mpg given the circumstances (and my light foot). Be prepared to spend alot on gas with this vehicle. Its not as thrifty as the EPA sticker might say. For that reason, for the time being I am not considering an Outlook to replace my Vue this year.

By the way, many have *****ed and moaned about the transmission. I found the shifts to be perfect and never hung in the wrong gear at any time. If anything, it was one of the nicer transmissions I have experienced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't consider the previous opinion about gas mileage, as that is uncommon to have such low mileage. We have never seen anything as low as 13mpg. We usually average about 18 mpg mixed 50/50 driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
I wouldn't consider the previous opinion about gas mileage, as that is uncommon to have such low mileage. We have never seen anything as low as 13mpg. We usually average about 18 mpg mixed 50/50 driving.
I would have to agree. In my four weeks of ownership, I've averaged 14.7 mpg with 69% in town. The 31% highway driving I am mostly loaded with adults and/or equipment at approx. 600 - 900 lbs. And from what I understand, fuel mileage improves as the engine breaks in and the software learns my driving style. -- Also, I use the remote start feature roughly 95% of the time.

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

ours averages about 20. im sure cold weather and remote starts can make a huge effect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
same car just a matter of which style you like
Ummm... no, the cost of the Enclave is higher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont believe it is. just not saturn priced. msrp higher but discounts etc. should make it about the same

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerXR View Post
Ummm... no, the cost of the Enclave is higher.
Not really. It starts higher because it has a lot more standard equipment from the start, and its "base" is more like a slightly loaded version of the Saturn or GMC. Add options to either of those two, and the same to the Buick, and you'll see a very small difference.

As noted, the styling is a big difference and the interior is very different, plus--at least to a lot of others including myself--there's a very noticeable difference in the overall quietness and smoothness in the Buick, thanks to the extra attention to sound deadening. The Saturn and GMC are very quiet, refined rides...but the Buick takes it to another level.

The biggest differences among them all is styling and how the models and options are sorted. The base Outlook is the most stripped and the Enclave the most loaded with the Acadia in the middle...and then they mix things up and get close to one another when all the boxes are checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
montrealvue
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
I called my friend who bought an Outlook a few months back and asked how the fuel economy is with his Outlook. With about 12,000 mi on his he has been getting 13.44 mpg on a consistant basis. I know his driving style and he does not have a heavy foot nor alot of cargo or passengers. I think his experience is enough to detract me from this gas guzzler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
I had an Outlook as a loaner for the day this week. The car is a pleasure to drive and doesn't handle like a vehicle of that size. I found the XE (base model) cheaped out on a few things that they could improve for very minimal cost. For one, the steering wheel feels and looks cheap. If you do get an Outlook pony up for the leather wrapped steering wheel. Also, excluding the radio controls was another GM faux pas. In a vehicle of this caliber, why cost cut on a couple steering wheel control buttons? Its gives the driver the impression they are being punished for not spending the additional 2000 someodd dollars for the package that would include such amenities.
Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls is now part of the preferred package on the XE. That base steering wheel is hideous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
montrealvue
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSatrun View Post
Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls is now part of the preferred package on the XE. That base steering wheel is hideous.
....Saturn should add the leather steering wheel as a standard feature (like Hyundai did with the Santa Fe) or replace it with something decent. I agree, the base steering wheel is like something you would find on a base model econo car. GM builds a great looking vehicle that drives better than most SUV's out there and then....that wheel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
SATURNSTPAUL
SATURNSTPAUL is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Quote:
I called my friend who bought an Outlook a few months back and asked how the fuel economy is with his Outlook. With about 12,000 mi on his he has been getting 13.44 mpg on a consistant basis. I know his driving style and he does not have a heavy foot nor alot of cargo or passengers. I think his experience is enough to detract me from this gas guzzler.
I dont understand. I have heard no such ratings that low from any of my customers. I took one for a week during Christmas (AWD XE) I had a combined 22mpg and I have a heavy foot. And a friend of mine has an AWD XR and has 4 kids and a cargo carier, and during a 3500 mile trip, he also reported about 20-22mpg.

2002 Honda S2000 (summer car)
2002 Saturn SL Sport (daily grind)
1999 Saturn SL1 154k miles SOLD
2002 Nissan Maxima SE SOLD
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege SOLD
1993 Ford Probe GT SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNSTPAUL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNSTPAUL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SATURNSTPAUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATURNSTPAUL View Post
I dont understand. I have heard no such ratings that low from any of my customers. I took one for a week during Christmas (AWD XE) I had a combined 22mpg and I have a heavy foot. And a friend of mine has an AWD XR and has 4 kids and a cargo carier, and during a 3500 mile trip, he also reported about 20-22mpg.
Yeah, I wouldn't put any stock in someone's opinion on the Outlook if they've only had it for about a day. It certainly isn't a fair evaluation.

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
montrealvue
Advanced Member

Next loaner I get (sad to say but I expect another visit to the service dept.), I'll be sure to take an Outlook again and see if it fares better. I was expecting the same numbers as others have noted on these boards. The bright side is the rumoured 3.6L Direct Injection (with a bit better fuel economy) is supposed to standard on the Lambdas for '09.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #20
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Next loaner I get (sad to say but I expect another visit to the service dept.), I'll be sure to take an Outlook again and see if it fares better. I was expecting the same numbers as others have noted on these boards. The bright side is the rumoured 3.6L Direct Injection (with a bit better fuel economy) is supposed to standard on the Lambdas for '09.
Yes, it will be, which should be an interesting change to watch as far as economy and power. We'll at least know some specs soon, with the Traverse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote