SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2
Default Pressure Control Solenoid Replacement

Hi All,
Due to finding this forum, I am pretty sure I have the cause of my Saturn jerking into reverse and all forward gears solved. I am going after the PCS. I have done all the usual things first, like check the fluid and replaced the ECS but it just started happening yesterday and bad. My question is, what is the torque sequence for the valve body cover? Also on the top of my valve body cover I have a connector that is screwed into the cover. When I remove the connector there is trannie fluid in the pins and the connector itself. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2
Default Re: Pressure Control Solenoid Replacement

Search is your friend!! Sorry!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
Search is your friend!! Sorry!
Just curious - what did you find re: fluid under the connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Well, I found a lot of fluid under the connector, so I flushed it out with contact cleaner. I also replaced the pressure control solenoid. It's still learning the shifts. In reverse it still bangs, but not nearly as hard as it did before I replaced the PCS. From first to second it still bangs also, but once again not nearly as hard. In all the other gears it was shifting hard, but after about 30 minutes of driving they all smoothed out. Now I only have reverse and first to second shifting hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Are you getting any trouble codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

No, none at all, not even a MIL light. So I changed the solenoid based on what I read on this forum and all the hard shifting went away, with the exception of 1-2 and reverse. It does not slam like it used too, but it still shifts hard. I have driven it about 50 miles, how long does it normally take the PCM to re-learn or do you suspect I have another problem? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

The relearn should have completed by now. You might need to check your input nut, as these can loosen up after driving with slamming.

Also, check the voltage at your battery terminals with the car off (should be 12.8V) then with the car running and all the accessories on (should be 14+v).

I'm working on the exact same problem, except the car came to me almost undrivable. My connector on top of the VB also had lots of fluid in it.

Does the shifting change when the car is cold to when the car is warmed up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

No not really, I spoke to my wife this morning and she said it only shifted hard going from 1st to 2nd, but it slipped right into reverse without and harsh shifting at all. I will check the input nut as I kinda figured that would be next and I'll also check the battery and alt output. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Well for right now the car is running fine. The harsh shifting went away just as soon as it came on after I replaced the #1 solenoid. It took about 100 miles of driving but it finally smoothed out. Now I have to check the output shaft nut to see if it backed off.
I rang out out the old one and it was reading 3 ohms so I know it was bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
So I changed the solenoid based on what I read on this forum and all the hard shifting went away, with the exception of 1-2 and reverse.
This is where the ISN usually causes problems. It can also cause you to lose reverse completely.

Quote:
Well for right now the car is running fine. The harsh shifting went away just as soon as it came on after I replaced the #1 solenoid.
Including 1st-2nd and Reverse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

1st-2nd and Reverse, I drove it yesterday and it shifts excellent and very smooth. But I am still going to check the input nut for the correct torque, I've done all this work so I might as well finish it off correctly.

Shawn, I'm sorry for not answering you, when I was having the problem,(first-second & reverse) it happened all the time,(after I replaced the solenoid that is) the temp did not play a part as to whether it shifted hard or soft. Thanks again for the input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
But I am still going to check the input nut for the correct torque, . . .
I know I sound like a broken record, but this from the FSM . . .

“NOTICE: Use a new nut due to insufficient torque retention of old nut. Clean shaft threads with wire brush. When tightening and torquing this nut it must be done quickly. The thread locking material used on the new nut will cure in a short time resulting in incorrect torque."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
lilwhitetruck

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Thanks Chazberry, then I won't do it until I have the new nut in hand and I'll just replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!