SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #1
JMSL300
JMSL300 is on a distinguished road

Question Misfiring L-300

I have a misfire on cylinder #2 caused by the ignition coil going bad. This coil not working properly has caused the car to run as if it is being choked of air. Now awaiting replacement part. Any one else have this problem? If so, let me know.

Are there any people here that have chainged a timing belt in a 2001- L300? I have the directions for this job but it looks very complicated, not to mention the need for special tools for the job.

What does Saturn charge for this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JMSL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JMSL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
JuicedL200
JuicedL200 is on a distinguished road

yup had the same problem on my L200, thought it was the coil but it wasnt, had a blocked catalitic conv

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JuicedL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JuicedL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by JuicedL200
yup had the same problem on my L200, thought it was the coil but it wasnt, had a blocked catalitic conv
Did they replace the coil?

Reason I am asking has to do with the recall. Somehow I remember the recall stating the defective coils caused raw, uburned, fuel to pass to the exhaust system. The hot exhaust, particularly near the catalyst, caught the fuel on fire. Which is the reason for the recall. Your cat may have been blocked due to a bad coil.

It's just a guess on my part.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
JMSL300

The local mechanic tested the coil and found that when the engine is cold the coil would not put out the needed current to fire properly. When the engine warms up to normal operating temperature it works better, only not perfect.

The mechanic informed me also that because of this misfire unburned fuel is going through the exhaust which is giving the code of a bad O2 sensor. Makes sense because of the unburned fuel going through the system.

Still waiting on the coil, will let you know if replacing it cured the misfire or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JMSL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Misfiring L-300

Quote:
Originally posted by JMSL300

Are there any people here that have chainged a timing belt in a 2001- L300? I have the directions for this job but it looks very complicated, not to mention the need for special tools for the job.

What does Saturn charge for this?
DO NOT neglect the timing belt on the V6. The book says it should be changed at 100,000 miles. If it were to break, the pistons will crash into open valves. Not a cheap repair.

The book shows $71.92 for the belt and 4.6 hours of labor. I would guess it would be between $500 - $600.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

"DO NOT neglect the timing belt on the V6. The book says it should be changed at 100,000 miles. If it were to break, the pistons will crash into open valves. Not a cheap repair."

I believe the same motor in the Saab rec. 60k miles.

100k seems optimistic. Maybe they think that grandma is driving the L.

Also - how do cats get blocked ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to socketz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Starting around 2000 the timing belts are reinforced with kevlar fiber for longer life. The greatest danger to timing belt life is coolant leaking onto the belt.

2 common things can cause converters to plug up.

1. Carbon fouling caused by excess oil consumption.

2. Running rich causes excess fuel to be burned in them causing the internal temperatures to reach a point that the inards melt. Normal operating temp is about 600 degrees F. A rich mixture can cause it to reach 1500 degrees F or more.

Now you know what the heat shields are for.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

Last edited by lostwages_ls2; 10-15-2004 at 10:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
jkai
jkai is on a distinguished road

Default Coil pack

Were you able to locate the coil pack? I may be able to hook you up with a good used one. If you want send me an e-mail jamesk.kai@gmail.com and how much you are willing to shell out, obvioulsy you need 2-4-6 pack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkai's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkai reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
JMSL300

thanks for the offer, i did locate and order a coil through saturnparts.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

the timing belt is a tough job to do i would say take it to the dealer and have them do it for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LATEMODELRACING's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
David
David is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Catalytic Converter Went Out

My catalytic converter went out on my 2002 L200 too. Had the recall procedure done early, but the damage was done. Luckily for me it went out before I passed 36,000 miles.

Not so lucky with my air conditioning. Took it in to have it checked at just under 36,000 miles. They said it was within the limits, even though I knew it wasn't blowing cold like before. Now, less than 3,000 later it's out completely. Not a switch cause it never turns on. My guess is a leak. Probably have to replace the receiver dryer and the condenser. Costly but not as much as the catalytic converter would have been. They also replaced a cracked intake manifold and the intake manifold gasket, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #12
David
David is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Catalytic Converter Went Out

My catalytic converter went out on my 2002 L200 too. Had the recall procedure done early, but the damage was done. Luckily for me it went out before I passed 36,000 miles.

Not so lucky with my air conditioning. Took it in to have it checked at just under 36,000 miles. They said it was within the limits, even though I knew it wasn't blowing cold like before. Now, less than 3,000 later it's out completely. Not a switch cause it never turns on. My guess is a leak. Probably have to replace the receiver dryer and the condenser. Costly but not as much as the catalytic converter would have been. They also replaced a cracked intake manifold and the intake manifold gasket, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread