SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
pepperdirt
pepperdirt is on a distinguished road

Post Flexplate to Crank Orientation?

1999 SL2, Saturn. Automatic Trans.

During a rebuild, I removed my Flexplate from the Crankshaft without leaving any marks. I've been reading on this, and most forums suggest the Flywheel bolt pattern is Asymmetrical. I haven't been able to confirm this on my car. Is it possible to bolt the flexplate on the Crank in an undesirable manner?

If not, then I bolted it on correctly on my first try, two times( bolted it on backwards )! In addition, I could really use another way to determine correct orientation, a way that doesn't require me to mark the crank and flexplate... Please.

Also, I have read (not Saturn Forums) that the Flexplate to Torque Converter Orientation is of no consequence. Is this also true on the SL2?

Thank you for your time!
First time poster Whoo~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pepperdirt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pepperdirt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pepperdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Flexplate to Crank Orientation?

Crank-flexplate bolting is asymmetrical. If you look at the ring gear on the plate you will notice that the teeth project out from the flexplate surface farther on one side than the other. The side with the greatest projection faces towards the engine or the starter can not reach the ring gear teeth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
pepperdirt

Sorry for not being clear. It is not backwards ( the correct side is facing the engine / tranny )

I did manage to mark which side faces the engine, like you say. However, I really wasn't sure if the bolt pattern was asymmetric. If it is asymmetric, then I literally bolted it on backwards ( correctly ) and back frontwards (correctly ) without consulting any previous marks.

Again, if the bolt pattern is asymmetric, then all is good. It bolted up with no binding/trouble whatsoever( 2x times, what are the odds ). Otherwise, if I bolted it up in a manner that the car wouldn't be able to start, I want to remove it from the car BEFORE I attach everything ( and make it heavier adding the head ).

Thank you for reading!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pepperdirt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The part is balanced so the bolting to the crank is not indexed. There is a front and back side though. It sounds like you have correctly installed it and can move on with assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
pepperdirt

I'm still a little worried some sensor in the transmission trying to fire a cylinder out of time. Was hoping to get the response, "Yeah, it's asymmetrical, no way you could bolt it incorrectly~" ahah, oh well...

Won't be assembling today anyhow, Tomorrow looks to be a great day for that. If it's unanimous, then cool. I'll post results as they come in.

Thank you OldNuc!

1999 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is no sensor in the transmission that fires anything. Just bolt it on front side to the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!