SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default # of years using tire set before replacement

The issue is this.

Since tires have a manufactured date molded into them, there is a controversy whether tires should be replaced by their age and not just by their mileage/condition.

Example: Purchased a used car. Tires are in great shape, almost no tread wear, but tires were made in mid 2009....making them almost 7 years old.

I know tire manufacturers would want us to replace every 2-3 years for their own income, but is there some validity to trading a 7 year old set in just because it's got some age to them?

If so, then out goes these 70, 80 and 90K mileage tires that might not ever reach those numbers within a specified time, before being replaced.

The tires have no sidewall cracking, no patches and at least 60% tread left.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: # of years using tire set before replacement

From what I've researched replace as per wear indicators (tread depth) or 10 years of age.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Use your best judgment. I believe recommended is just that - a recommendation. Visual inspection, miles, tread, age, and what you will be using the car for are all important. I USUALLY drive too much before age becomes a factor, except for that one set of Michellin's (and why I'll never buy another set) that had sidewall cracking within four years). I would also be willing to take greater risk on a car that I rarely drive at high speeds and would not take one 'cross country' with iffy looking/aged tires. My Saturn probably now comes under that category - mostly driven under city conditions.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Filter out all the B.S. and CYA lawyering and you will approach the truth. Replace tires when the tread depth has worn sufficiently that they fail the penny test or when you decide they have lost their grip regardless of how much tread is left. Ties are good until you get sidewall checking that exposes the cords or may expose the cords. If the tire is on low speed machinery then they are replaced when they no longer hold air. The X years is based on a swag for shelf life when the tire is stored in an unenvironmentally controlled warehouse.

If you live somewhere with 350+ days of full sun and are also south of 30 degrees North latitude then tire sidewall checking will be what to watch for. Car that is garaged will have a longer useful tire life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

the last set of tires I had were good year triple treads. expensive tires with a 90.000 tread life warranty. the catch is they dry rot long before the treads wear out. I replaced them when they were severely dry rotted on the side walls. they were about 6-7 years old & only had about 45.000 miles on them. I say replace tires when they start to crack, as that's a sign of age. no sense taking a chance on a tire blowout......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

My last set of Firehawks lost their grip. That was enough for me (and the fast that they were not round). I don't think those tires would ever dry-rot. The sidewalls looked new.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

I replaced tires on one of my cars when they hit 2o years old as one started to bulge out. none had any cracking and still rode fine until the bulging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That can happen at 2 months as well. Those separations are not really an aging related failure. In most cases it is pothole damage that finally catches up or an old puncture that gets into the cord layer from the inside. I have run perfectly fine tires that were well past 20 years but those are quite rare.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
carangil
carangil has a spectacular aura aboutcarangil has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

When I bought my SL1 in September of 2015, two of the tires had a date code of 1999 and the other two were 2001. There was plenty of tread, but a lot of cracks. I immediately went to the tire shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carangil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carangil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
My last set of Firehawks lost their grip. That was enough for me (and the fast that they were not round). I don't think those tires would ever dry-rot. The sidewalls looked new.
well my sidewalls on the triple treads were dry rotting & cracking everywhere. so much that I started a thread here years ago regarding this because I wanted opinions about this as I was concerned because my tires looked so bad. when they dry rotted they got noisy & I had shimmy. they also seemed to lose grip especially in wet weather....

there were cracks between the treads as well... maybe when I bought them they were older tires sitting on the shelf for years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #11
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
I replaced tires on one of my cars when they hit 2o years old as one started to bulge out. none had any cracking and still rode fine until the bulging.
on one of my old cars i once owned I had a tire with a bubble in the sidewall as well & it bounced when I drove. a dangerous situation. it was replaced a.s.a.p....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Docu...el_4b_Kane.pdf

More to chew on.

Seems that tire manufacturers of course don't want their tires to last over say, 6 years, so maybe they skimp on certain stress-crack preventative additives or simply put, they put re-occurring income ahead of long term safety.

Perhaps, 10, 15-20 years ago, these manufacturers had a different game plan than they may show today.

Kinda like the light bulbs that my grandmother had in her Chicago bungalow; grandpa put them in before 1920, and they were still in daily service when she died in 1987. Made by the Chicago based company, calling their product "the 100 year bulb" as I recall them telling me. My dad (born in 1916) verified that these were still the same bulbs since he was a lad.

Modern tires might not be made to last like they did a few years ago?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

In 2012, I owned a 1987 Buick Century that was lovingly cared for, barely driven and garage kept in a climate controlled garage in a little old ladies house and driven on the weekends.

The car had tires from 1993 on it. The car it self had 35K miles. The tires were all Goodyear something or another. No dry rot, they weren't hard, the tread was excellent. Perfect condition, 19 year old tires.

I put over 30,000 of my own miles on them before I sold the car. They were still fine.

It just depends on condition and how they were cared for.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:15 AM   #14
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

I just replaced a pair that were 04/04 and 50/03.....

A little cracking, and they were starting to get noisy. Still had tread left...

I inflate hard , 250-270 Kpa in a 300 Kpa max tire. Got 50,000 out of a set of generic blemished tires (Phaser)

New ones are Hercules Road Tour 4.0, $100 clams installed for two, 520 A A tread / temp. They are weird, not directional, but a specific side needs to face out...

10-12 years would be my max....

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Docu...el_4b_Kane.pdf

More to chew on.

Seems that tire manufacturers of course don't want their tires to last over say, 6 years, so maybe they skimp on certain stress-crack preventative additives or simply put, they put re-occurring income ahead of long term safety.

Perhaps, 10, 15-20 years ago, these manufacturers had a different game plan than they may show today.

Kinda like the light bulbs that my grandmother had in her Chicago bungalow; grandpa put them in before 1920, and they were still in daily service when she died in 1987. Made by the Chicago based company, calling their product "the 100 year bulb" as I recall them telling me. My dad (born in 1916) verified that these were still the same bulbs since he was a lad.

Modern tires might not be made to last like they did a few years ago?
some old tires might look good but the rubber can be hard & give out causing an accident like in the link. to those who brag about having 10-20 year old tires on your car that's great, but your taking a chance. I wouldn't trust old tires any more than I trusted mine. I got rid of the tires when they were dry rotted. my life is more valuable than a set of tires...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

+1 on that. The standard is by the government that says 10 years is tops. A tire shop is not even allowed to service or remount a tire that is over that spec. Just happened to me. Original spare on my Infiniti would not hold air due to rim leak. Tire shop would not touch it. And this is a tire shop I trade at regularly. With as many cars as I own I buy A LOT of tires. They know be on a first name basis as soon as they see my cars LOL. And they would not handle it for all the tea in China because of that law and their potential liability. You may be fine taking chances with your own life on old dry tires but you're also gambling with my life and my family's lives when you're out there.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Gov & the tire industry came up with that law and it is based on tire rubber compounds no longer available and which were not available before the law was passed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

since my spare tire is original I should just get it replaced no matter what it looks like.... the fact that these just blow up without being used is further testament to this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

The way I see it, rubber gets hard and loses its original grip. If you're taking a sharp turn at 90 on a crotch rocket young tires are important. But otherwise most everything on your car is less than original performance so that's not really a realistic standard. If they handle ok for your driving type I'd leave them alone. Same goes for shocks/struts. They're not new the moment you leave the dealership so decide how much you want to care.

If it makes a difference check the dates when you buy tires. I bought a set for my bike and found the rear was almost 2 years old when I had it mounted. But the old ones were 10 years old and noticeably harder.

As a point of reference, the legal standard for aircraft tires is no cord showing.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The aircraft standard makes sense, the auto-truck tire law is a govt payoff to Big Tire for a campaign contribution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!